Can you name the Orioles Opening Day starters since 2000?

Spy Fox

6 minutes ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

We have all but one in this thread ... and I couldn't help myself but to look it up because I wasn't able to think of anyone else ... I won't spoil it, but man, I completely forgot about this dude ...

Ooh, ooh, Kevin Millwood at the Trop! With a blown save and a loss from Mike Gonzalez, I believe. I remember because I was so pissed off that I got into a major fight with my then girlfriend. It's OK, though, because we're married now.

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Ooh, ooh, Kevin Millwood at the Trop! With a blown save and a loss from Mike Gonzalez, I believe. I remember because I was so pissed off that I got into a major fight with my then girlfriend. It's OK, though, because we're married now.

Nice ... gotta love the crazy reasons we all have for remembering the little details in life, haha.

26 minutes ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

What about Scott Erikson? Did he ever get one?

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Pedro multiple opposing starts?

5 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Ooh, ooh, Kevin Millwood at the Trop! 

That closes it out.

The full list of OD matchups since 2000 is:

• 2000: Mussina vs Colon (Indians beat Orioles 4-1)
  • 2001: Hentgen vs Martinez (Orioles beat Red Sox 2-1)
  • 2002: Erickson vs Clemens (Orioles beat Yankees 10-3)
  • 2003: Lopez vs Sabathia (Orioles beat Indians 6-5)
  • 2004: Ponson vs Martinez (Orioles beat Red Sox 7-2)
  • 2005: Lopez vs Zito (Orioles beat Athletics 4-0)
  • 2006: Lopez vs Kazmir (Orioles beat Devil Rays 9-6)
  • 2007: Bedard vs J. Santana (Twins beat Orioles 7-4)
  • 2008: Guthrie vs Shields (Rays beat Orioles 6-2)
  • 2009: Guthrie vs Sabathia (Orioles beat Yankees 10-5)
  • 2010: Millwood vs Shields (Rays beat Orioles 4-3)
  • 2011: Guthrie vs Price (Orioles beat Rays 4-1)
  • 2012: Arrieta vs Pavano (Orioles beat Twins 4-2)
  • 2013: Hammel vs Price (Orioles beat Rays 7-4)
  • 2014: Tillman vs Lester (Orioles beat Red Sox 2-1)
  • 2015: Tillman vs Archer (Orioles beat Rays 6-2)
  • 2016: Tillman vs E. Santana (Orioles beat Twins 3-2)

13-4 record on Opening Day in that span. Currently on a six season OD winning streak. 

32 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

That closes it out.

The full list of OD matchups since 2000 is:

• 2000: Mussina vs Colon (Indians beat Orioles 4-1)
  • 2001: Hentgen vs Martinez (Orioles beat Red Sox 2-1)
  • 2002: Erickson vs Clemens (Orioles beat Yankees 10-3)
  • 2003: Lopez vs Sabathia (Orioles beat Indians 6-5)
  • 2004: Ponson vs Martinez (Orioles beat Red Sox 7-2)
  • 2005: Lopez vs Zito (Orioles beat Athletics 4-0)
  • 2006: Lopez vs Kazmir (Orioles beat Devil Rays 9-6)
  • 2007: Bedard vs J. Santana (Twins beat Orioles 7-4)
  • 2008: Guthrie vs Shields (Rays beat Orioles 6-2)
  • 2009: Guthrie vs Sabathia (Orioles beat Yankees 10-5)
  • 2010: Millwood vs Shields (Rays beat Orioles 4-3)
  • 2011: Guthrie vs Price (Orioles beat Rays 4-1)
  • 2012: Arrieta vs Pavano (Orioles beat Twins 4-2)
  • 2013: Hammel vs Price (Orioles beat Rays 7-4)
  • 2014: Tillman vs Lester (Orioles beat Red Sox 2-1)
  • 2015: Tillman vs Archer (Orioles beat Rays 6-2)
  • 2016: Tillman vs E. Santana (Orioles beat Twins 3-2)

13-4 record on Opening Day in that span. Currently on a six season OD winning streak. 

Oh, no, somebody said Jake Arrieta. Take cover. :P

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

Wow. Didn't expect that! What's Mike like?

I enjoyed seeing how Bartolo Colon is still pitching 17 years after starting against us on Opening Day 2000, despite the fact that several of the names around him on the list above have already been retired long enough to go through multiple Hall of Fame ballots. And he was in his age 27 season in 2000, so he was young but not an early-20s phenom. He has a chance to outlast Sabathia as well. 

5 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I know Bedard started one.

Mussina, Hentgen, Ponson, Lopez, Bedard, Guthrie, Arietta, Tillman..drawing a blank on the rest.

Ol' Sir Sid. That was after the O's re-signed him just a few months after dealing him to the Giants for slop. Moss, Ainsworth and Hannaman. Didn't really pan out for either side...

I remember Scott Erickson started opening day for a season coming off an injury.  I want to say that was 2001 or 2002 but Pat Hentgen was around that era too and I know he started an opening day for us.  Other than that:  Bedard, Ponson,Benson, Millwood, Guthrie, Tillman, Jason Hammel? Rodrigo Lopez? Drawing a blank on the others.  This is without cheating obviously.  

On 2/21/2017 at 4:36 PM, Spy Fox said:

I enjoyed seeing how Bartolo Colon is still pitching 17 years after starting against us on Opening Day 2000, despite the fact that several of the names around him on the list above have already been retired long enough to go through multiple Hall of Fame ballots. And he was in his age 27 season in 2000, so he was young but not an early-20s phenom. He has a chance to outlast Sabathia as well. 

For context, here's a little about myself ... in 1993, I was 14 (most likely 13 when he signed, since my birthday is in October).

In April of 1997, I was 17 years old and a junior in high school. He was on the roster when we lost to the Tribe in 6 in the 1997 ALCS ... think about that for a second ...

From Wikipedia:

------------------

Today, I am 37 years old and will be 38 in October. I played in college (DIII, nothing special) and I feel like I am too old already ... really, I felt that way at 34 years old.

This man is a machine. And to be honest, years ago when we were finding out how many players were faking their ages to seem younger trying to acquire contracts by MLB clubs, his name came up as one that was possibly significantly older than he claimed he was. This dude could honestly be 50 years old ...

I hope he plays forever, haha ... I love his story (even if he's able to do this because of PEDs ... which I have my suspicions, but zero evidence for)

Archived