Pick Three for the 25-man

Aristotelian

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm going with "no chance" of this happening.     

Flaherty is a lock if healthy.   I'm going with Santander and Rickard but Gentry might knock Rickard out if he looks very good.

In the end, Flaherty, Rickard, and Santander.

That doesn't work if Kim can't hit LHP.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting takes. I think things will get much clearer as we see everyone play during the WBC. 

I still think Bourn makes the team if healthy and he is a plan A, not insurance, but we will see. Buck likes him, teammates like him...gives him a big leg up IMO.

This will change daily but right now Rickard is ahead on Kim for a starting spot.   Rickard is hitting and Kim doesn't even know how to use his sunglasses in a sun field.  He allowed a triple today.  

Kim makes the team based on his OBP last year but his defense has to improve if he wants a starting spot.  Especially if Rickard keeps pressing him. Still a month to go.

Right now I'd keep Flaherty, Mancini, and then one of Rickard/Tavarez, whoever wins out.  I know that's not going to be how it goes, because defense trumps a lot for bench players, but I'd keep Mancini's bat over some swing-happy slap hitter who they will keep as a third CF on the off chance Jones gets hurt early in a game.

Flaherty is a lock, if healthy. If he's not, Janish replaces him while he's out.

In the outfield, lots of ways to start the year. My guess is that they will go with Gentry and Tavarez on the active list with Bourn at Bowie or released, Santander on a 20-day rehab assignment at Bowie and Rickard at Norfolk, where he can work on becoming a better outfielder and come up if Gentry is hurt.

If Santander looks like a player at Bowie, once his rehab assignment is over I'd expect him to replace Tavarez . Unless there are injuries to Kim, Jones or Smith, Bourn will be released to pursue a major league job at some point. Whether or not Gentry stays healthy all year and hits well enough to remain Smith's platoon partner in RF will bear some watching. He could be supplanted by Rickard at some point if Joey performs well at Norfolk because he has more pop than Gentry.

20 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

10 spots appear to be locked down: Castillo, Joseph, Davis, Schoop, Hardy, Machado, Jones, Kim, Smith, Trumbo. 

We need some RH platoon/bench options and OF defense. Who do you pick of the following:

Flaherty - Most versatile defensively, but LH. They optioned him for a time last year with Manny as the emergency SS. Bad hitter overall, but capable of hitting a HR every now and then.

Janish - more natural SS than Flaherty and right-handed. Lacks Flaherty's power threat, but could bring intangibles such as ability to get a bunt down and put balls in play (in about the same career PA's as Flaherty, he has 180 K's to Flaherty's 300).

Rickard - RH, pretty good defensively, still unproven offensively. Does have options.

Mancini - RH, obvious power, but not a good fit defensively. Could use regular playing time at Norfolk while waiting for a full time opportunity should something happen to Trumbo or Davis.

Santander - RH, appears to be a good hitter, could have the highest ceiling of anyone on the list, but more unknown.

Dariel Alvarez - RH, more experience than Santander, good arm for RF, but appears to have limitations offensively and defensively.

Aneury Tavarez - Rule 5, pretty good minor league portfolio, similar to Rickard's last year, but lower OBP and LH. 

-------------

Flaherty, Rickard, Santander?

The 2 rule 5 guys will probably be DL'd. I've had enough of Flaherty. I'd go Mancini, Janish and Rickard. Alverez can't hit a lick.

9 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Interesting takes. I think things will get much clearer as we see everyone play during the WBC. 

I still think Bourn makes the team if healthy and he is a plan A, not insurance, but we will see. Buck likes him, teammates like him...gives him a big leg up IMO.

Once the WBC starts we will see a ton of Gentry and the rule 5 guys. Like Buck said, we don't even know what we have defensively in Tavarez yet. Realistically I see Bourn winning the last spot and maybe Tavarez staying with the big club for a week until he is ready. No since losing Gentry if Bourn needs 5 days on the DL to rehab to start the year. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Send the clubhouse attendant out to crater the parking lot.

Don't you know that it is in the rules that teams can stash healthy players on the DL whenever it's convenient?  :rolleyes:

The union does not permit that. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

This will change daily but right now Rickard is ahead on Kim for a starting spot.   Rickard is hitting and Kim doesn't even know how to use his sunglasses in a sun field.  He allowed a triple today.  

Kim makes the team based on his OBP last year but his defense has to improve if he wants a starting spot.  Especially if Rickard keeps pressing him. Still a month to go.

You're way out on a limb on Rickard this spring.    They've played four spring training games and that's a basis to say Rickard is ahead of Kim?   That's laughable.   

Archived