Pick Three for the 25-man

Aristotelian

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You're way out on a limb on Rickard this spring.    They've played four spring training games and that's a basis to say Rickard is ahead of Kim?   That's laughable.   

Glad I could give you a chuckle.   I said it will change.  But with all the focus on outfield defense Kim did not help himself yesterday.  How does a major league outfielder not know when to use his sunglasses.  That is pretty poor.   

Joey is starting off well.  He needs a month more of what he has done in first four games.  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think anyone in a decision making position within the Orioles evaluates the situation as you do?

Do I think they would say it to the press. No.  Do I think they think it. Yes.  

Buck had to just shake his head when he saw Kim wandering around looking of the fly ball without his sunglasses on.   He looked like he was a little leaguer. 

12 hours ago, weams said:

Tavarez, Santander, Flaherty

If Tavarez has the ability to play CF, I don't think I have an issue with this.  Buck isn't big into giving regulars a rest and Tavarez/Santander seem like guys who you'd like the chance to keep in your organization.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think the baserunning play was that bad, with two outs in the inning.   Chances of scoring from 2B with two outs are much better than chances of scoring from 1B.

The OF play was a blunder, but not really indicative of anything likely to occur in the regular season.

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Glad I could give you a chuckle.   I said it will change.  But with all the focus on outfield defense Kim did not help himself yesterday.  How does a major league outfielder not know when to use his sunglasses.  That is pretty poor.   

Joey is starting off well.  He needs a month more of what he has done in first four games.  

First off Rickard was poor in the outfield last season.

Secondly, they always talk about defense, then they put Cruz, Young and Trumbo in the outfield.

Why should we think this year is different?  Did they bring in a viable major leaguer with good defensive ability?  No, they brought in Smith and some fringy guys.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think the baserunning play was that bad, with two outs in the inning.   Chances of scoring from 2B with two outs are much better than chances of scoring from 1B.

The OF play was a blunder, but not really indicative of anything likely to occur in the regular season.

Judge has a plus arm. Kim shows NO baseball instinct  here. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=15640&position=OF

What world are you in.  Kim is competing for playing time.  And he is so unaware of what is going on that his sunglasses on his hat.  This is not major league actions. There is not reason to believe he would not do this during the regular season.

Just now, wildcard said:

What world are you in.  Kim is competing for playing time.  And he is so unaware of what is going on that his sunglasses on his hat.  This is not major league actions. There is no reason to believe he would not do this during the regular season.

His range is poor to start with.  He can not afford to be unaware on top of that.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What world are you in.  Kim is competing for playing time.  And he is so unaware of what is going on that his sunglasses on his hat.  This is not major league actions. There is not reason to believe he would not do this during the regular season.

Except the part where he didn't do it during the regular season last year.

I also don't think he is competing for playing time, unless you count playing more against lefties, in which case the difference will be in him showing he can hit lefties.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You're way out on a limb on Rickard this spring.    They've played four spring training games and that's a basis to say Rickard is ahead of Kim?   That's laughable.   

I don't consider myself out on a limb at all.  Joey will either out play  someone for playing time or he won't.  Its up to him, not me.   

After 4 games he is outplaying Kim.   But that is only a start.  What happens by the end of March will mean a lot more.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't consider myself out on a limb at all.  Joey will either out play  someone for playing time or he won't.  Its up to him, not me.   

After 4 games he is outplaying Kim.   But that is only a start.  What happens by the end of March will mean a lot more.

When I say you are out on a limb, I mean you are one of very few posters who thinks that Rickard may start this season getting substantial playing time vs. RHP based on how he and others do in spring training.    Whether you're right or not remains to be seen, but you're distinctly in the minority in thinking so.   I really don't want to reargue the point every time Rickard or Kim or Smith has a good game or a bad one this spring.  

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When I say you are out on a limb, I mean you are one of very few posters who thinks that Rickard may start this season getting substantial playing time vs. RHP based on how he and others do in spring training.    Whether you're right or not remains to be seen, but you're distinctly in the minority in thinking so.   I really don't want to reargue the point every time Rickard or Kim or Smith has a good game or a bad one this spring.  

I think Rickard has the potential to be a leadoff hitter and everyday corner outfielder.   But I have always said its up to him to prove it. 

What you argue about really up to you.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Rickard has the potential to be a leadoff hitter and everyday corner outfielder.   But I have always said its up to him to prove it. 

What you argue about really up to you.

What if you think he proved he couldn't do it last year?  618 OPS vs RHP and below average defense doesn't scream everyday corner outfielder.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What if you think he proved he couldn't do it last year?  618 OPS vs RHP and below average defense doesn't scream everyday corner outfielder.

I'm in between the two of you.   190 PA vs. RHP isn't conclusive to me, but it's enough where he wouldn't be my everyday corner OF at the start of 2017, especially since I have two corner OFs who I know hit RHP well.    The way baseball works, Rickard will end up getting nearly half his PA vs. RHP even if he usually only starts vs. LHP.     So, he'll have his chances to show improvement and maybe earn more playing time as the season progresses.    And frankly I think he's an appreciably better defender than Kim, despite last year's advanced metrics.    I expect his defensive numbers to improve.  

Archived