Three GM questions

Frobby

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK then he stays if he becomes President and CEO.

Peter Angelos holds the CEO title. John Angelos' title is Executive Vice President.   I don't see Duquette being President if that implies he's senior to John.

Hypothetical, while we're at it... what if Buck (loving control) says he's wants to stay as manager beyond 2018, but will only do it as a GM/manager combo?  Would you be willing to do that?

Nope. I really like Buck as a manager, but I would not want any part of him as a GM. And that job really can't be done by any one man. I think it would dilute both positions.

No, I'm tired of getting hand me down players. I want us to actually not be content with fighting for a wildcard spot and actually going after a World Series.

I want a GM that can win a World Series.

No, I don't think Buck would make a good GM.

1. Leaning towards no. The Toronto fiasco and not building off the ALCS appearance when the team was much closer to being a real contender still pisses me off. I'm also not a fan of how he's neglected the farm system and the contracts he's given out. For me a lot will depend on how he handles Manny/Britton to determine if I'd want him back after '18.  I will give him a lot of credit for being able to succeed under the PA regime.

2. N/A. I have no opinion on hypothetical GMs. I don't know enough about who's available, who will work for Angelos, etc.

3. If Buck is back, it should be as the manager. IMO, he's the biggest reason for our sustained success, much more so than Duq. Buck getting the most out of the roster covers for a lot of the bad decisions that were made.

Sure, let's pile on a player and those who were loyal to him after a serious injury, which occurred while he was entrenching himself as a regular with a great start to a season, came back from two spinal fusion surgeries, and actually contributed to the team the last two years.  

And sure, let's pretend that it was all Brady and Buck and Duquette had smaller parts in keeping on the team and giving him chances.

If this is a pile on, you better look at some of your posts in the past. My point being, is that Brady seems to get very attached to some of his players (not necessarily a good trait for a GM, IMO). Reimold is an example. And, in previous posts, I mentioned how I admired the O's for sticking with Reimold in the years during his rehab years.

If this is a pile on, you better look at some of your posts in the past. My point being, is that Brady seems to get very attached to some of his players (not necessarily a good trait for a GM, IMO). Reimold is an example. And, in previous posts, I mentioned how I admired the O's for sticking with Reimold in the years during his rehab years.

Not relevant to him becoming GM. He currently has a different job title and his interaction w players is developed in a training capacity. 

1.    Do you want Duquette back after 2018?

2.    Mike Rizzo's contract is also up in 2018.    If Rizzo had interest in coming here, would you prefer him to Duquette?

3.    Let's say Buck is ready to retire as field manager after 2018.    Would you want him as our GM (1) over Duquette, or (2) if Duquette goes elsewhere?

1. Definitely

2. Definitely not.

3. And 2... would be great to have Buck in the organization running things if DD goes elsewhere, but DD's younger and proven and effective... Why trade that for Buck as GM? 

1. I would be quite happy with Dan beyond 2018 as GM  and I think it would impact his decisions if that choice were made right now with an extension. 

2. Nope

3. Buck can manage the Os as long as he wants. But I would move on  to a young gun type GM if DD doesn't stay. 

Very good point - why not try to extend Dan now if possible? It seems the general feeling/vibe is that he's moving on after 2018 anyway... because he wants to be President of a club. If they O's were smart, they'd give him that title... Give John Angelos a title above that... Resign Dan now, and keep the train moving down the tracks. Extending DD might be more important than extending any one player, for the long-term health of the franchise. He's been a very responsible, respectable and wily steward of the team. 

7 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

Very good point - why not try to extend Dan now if possible? It seems the general feeling/vibe is that he's moving on after 2018 anyway... because he wants to be President of a club. If they O's were smart, they'd give him that title... Give John Angelos a title above that... Resign Dan now, and keep the train moving down the tracks. Extending DD might be more important than extending any one player, for the long-term health of the franchise. He's been a very responsible, respectable and wily steward of the team. 

It's not the title he wants it's the power. He won't get that here.

10 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

It's not the title he wants it's the power. He won't get that here.

You may be right, but other than the money, I have no idea why a guy who has spent his life in baseball operations would want to spend significant chunks of time overseeing the other operations of the organization.    It seems a lot less fun.

Archived