Thank You, Mark Daniel Trumbo

OFFNY

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't often see triumphant and loss in the same sentence.

No wordsmith he. But it also reminds me of what Nietzsche hated most about (what he perceived to be) Christianity: the glorification of suffering, the ultimate W of those who L.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LA2 said:

No wordsmith he. But it's also what Nietzsche hated most about (what he perceived to be) Christianity: the glorification of suffering, the ultimate W of the oppressed, of those who L.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya 'bout the raising of the wrist.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, weams said:

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya 'bout the raising of the wrist.

I didn't want to go into this but feel obligated. The Nietzsche was a Nazi thing is a horrible misrepresentation (even if sung in jest by Monty Python), owing mainly to his nationalist sister's reediting and misinterpration of his work after his early death. He despised nationalism and anti-Semitism. Even the Wikipedia article lays this out clearly; it's not obscurantist excuse-making or defensiveness. Are there concepts that could be twisted into fascist ideology? Yes, but those exist in almost all belief systems where the issue of power is raised. Nietzsche would have laughed at Hitler and the Brown Shirts, had he lived long enough and had enough moments of mental clarity in his later years--he suffered from a debilitating nervous disease that put his daily life in his sister's hands. It's why his writings became more and more aphoristic: short bursts of coherent consciousness was all he was capable of by then.

(On the other hand, some people interpret the MPython line to be merely about lifting a stein of beer in toast!)

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, it's a song about drinking.

Yes, it is (hence my quoting of the Wittgenstein couplet), but the Nietzsche-Nazi narrative has made it easy and frequent to take the lines out of context, which I'm pretty sure Python intentionally invited.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s kind of weird seeing Trumbo out there. He, Givens, Bundy, and Mancin, are the last of an era. The guy can still rake. 

If he were healthy all year we probably would’ve DFAd Nunez or not called up Santander. 

It was weird. He looked a little chubby in the face, which is understandable if you can't run like normal. Otherwise I thought he looked pretty good. Nice knock the other way right as B-Rob called out that he likes to go RCF. Didn't look hobbled running, but obviously it's more about the grind of multiple games than one sprint. 

He smoked two balls last night. The guy can still hit. He’s off to his usual fast start. It’s just in September and not April. It also seemed like the dugout was really into it when he picked up a late double. It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to offer him a milb deal and ST invite. If anything he could be like a 2nd hitting coach and could mentor Mountcastle like he did Mancini. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to offer him a milb deal and ST invite.

No, the worst thing in the world would involve the sun going prematurely red giant before mankind is able to transition to another planet.  But offering a potential place on the team to a mid-30s DH with one foot already in retirement, and an abysmal health record would be very counterproductive.  I would be stunned if Elias left the door open for his return even a tiny, tiny bit.  This should be Trumbo's swan song, and if he wants to try to continue it mostly certainly should be with another organization.

• Upvote 3