Orioles Acquire Miguel Castro Designate Gunkel

weams

o

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO )))))))) (vs. RANGERS, 7/20)

Immediately following a 3-run inning by the Orioles' offense to get the team back within striking range at 5-4, Castro came in and shut the Rangers down in the top of the 6th. 

3 up, 3 down, on only 8 Pitches (6 Strikes, 2 Balls.)

o

On July 19, 2017 at 8:49 AM, wildbillhiccup said:

Seriously people, please stop resurrecting these threads from 3 months ago. There are PLENTY of other current threads to discuss trade possibilities and current news.

We only discuss him when he pitches. ? Usually the minute he exits is when the thread is bumped, it doesn't get more current than that. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

First, I didn't know he was 6'7. I thought he was more like a Pedro Strop.He's an imposing presence and throws really hard. The question is, is he a starter?

One things for sure, he's a good person.

Castro spent his $43,000 signing bonus on a prostate operation for his father, as well as a surgery to remove his mother's fibrous tumor.

Great story. I'm surprised the Thorne hasn't mentioned that during a game. Maybe they don't know?

DD, McDowell, Mills and the people in AA should get some credit here. 

I keep saying the but not in this thread. Castro is only a few months older than Tanner Scott. Tanner Scott made the futures game. Both are 22. From my non expert opinion, I like what I've seen of Castro more. Better command. Same Velocity. Better slider. Has a change up for a 3rd pitch. 

I think the O's have done a good job with Castro.    His delivery seems more under control and over the top than when I first saw him.    I see no reason why he shouldn't be an excellent bullpen piece.     Can he be a starter?    I have no idea.     But I wouldn't mind giving him a try.    

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Great story. I'm surprised the Thorne hasn't mentioned that during a game. Maybe they don't know?

DD, McDowell, Mills and the people in AA should get some credit here. 

I keep saying the but not in this thread. Castro is only a few months older than Tanner Scott. Tanner Scott made the futures game. Both are 22. From my non expert opinion, I like what I've seen of Castro more. Better command. Same Velocity. Better slider. Has a change up for a 3rd pitch. 

Scott being able to bring it from the left side is what I think makes most evaluators pop. Much less common. 

Castro was converted to a reliever pretty early in his minor league career. I don't know if this was due to performance or if they wanted him to move faster. He's still very young. Am curious if he could stretch out over the offseason and give it a run in Bowie next year. 

o

MIGUEL ANGEL CASTRO )))))))) (vs. DEVIL RAYS, 7/25)

Castro came in and held the fort 1.67 innings to keep the Orioles in the game, with an assist from Donnie Scott Hart.

Castro's ERA for the season is a solid 2.70, and his WHIP is an equally solid 1.087.

o

• Upvote 1

He's striking out 4 batters per 9 IP.

How does someone with an "easy 99" only strikeout 12 batters in 27 innings?  That doesn't bode well for future results.  SSS and all, but we're already annointing him an excellent bullpen piece?  Really?  He's being way overrated in this thread.  It's weird to me that some choose to ignore strikeouts.

On 7/20/2017 at 10:27 PM, NedFromYork said:

Resurrecting threads is one of the great things about this message board and group.

And I think the aim is to keep the discussions organized instead of multiple threads about the same topic / player. I see no problem with this method. Maybe crossing out / editing the Gunkel part of the topic line would help, but other than that, fine.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

And I think the aim is to keep the discussions organized instead of multiple threads about the same topic / player. I see no problem with this method. Maybe crossing out / editing the Gunkel part of the topic line would help, but other than that, fine.

I for one have never understood the disdain with bumped threads. If it really does bother you, maybe just look at the date of the OP?

As Art said the lack of strikeouts is concerning, but I am glad to see he keeps getting the job done. 

• Upvote 1