Jomar Reyes Off To Hot Start With Keys

Slade-OH

Just wanted to point out that Jomar Reyes is quietly batting .520 (13-for-24) through his first six games.

Yea I know. Small sample size and all that jazz. Still, an encouraging start from one of the more disappointing prospects from the 2016 season. Lets hope he's ready to break out and that this isn't a flash in the pan. 

I'd noticed -- very encouraging.   He's still only 20 years old, 2nd youngest on the team (2 months older than Ofelky Peralta and 2 days younger than Ryan Mountcastle; everyone else is 21 or older).    Hopefully the second time at Frederick is the charm!

Reyes just wasn't right last year (hand injury?).  It doesn't make sense that his numbers would have dropped so much between Delmarva and Frederick, which is not a huge jump considering how we saw DJ Stewart immediately improve with his promotion.  Nice to see him get back on track.  He could be in for a big bounce back season and is still young for the league. 

I'd really like to see Reyes and Mountcastle get the entire season in Frederick regardless of their performance. Hays and Gassaway are about 18 months older and I could envision a second half promotion to Bowie for one or both of them if they have earned it. 

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Batting .500 now. Any chance he is moved up before the break? Rosa is playing 3B for Bowie and could easily move up to Norfolk.

There's no hurry.    If Reyes is hitting well on Memorial Day, I'd consider it.  

12 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Why does Reyes have to stay a year at Frederick if he is hitting the snot out of the ball?

Something was very wrong last year and he still was Frederick.

If he is healthy and the league is too easy for him, then you promote him.

I think it depends on how dominant he is.  I wouldn't promote him simply because he's doing well.  He needs to really be tearing up the league for an extended period of time.  Playing the whole season at just 20 years old. What's the rush? If he's hitting .350 in July, okay.  

With Hays and even Gassaway I would look to be more aggressive with promotions due to their age. Hays I can see being promoted in May or June if he keeps it up.  

35 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Why does Reyes have to stay a year at Frederick if he is hitting the snot out of the ball?

Something was very wrong last year and he still was Frederick.

If he is healthy and the league is too easy for him, then you promote him.

Well, Mercedes was hitting the snot out of the ball in Delmarva last year and they didn't promote him until very late in the season.

There is no need to rush to promote Reyes. Let him keep crushing the ball and if/when injuries to an infielder in Bowie comes up in June/July, call him up and let him get a taste of AA.

Especially since Bowie has been doing really good so far. There is no one really for him to take the spot of.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Reyes has lost some points from me now with this blatant immaturity.  He's going to miss about 1/3 of the season now.  

Any report on why he punched a wall?  Was this during a game?

He's an idiot for this. Hopefully the O's can get him on Bowie at the end of the year and he can play in the AFL. Unlike other years though there is going to be actual competition to go there. 

Way too early but you got to think Harvey, Sedlock, Dietz, Mullins, Hays, and maybe a guy like Santander if he stays. Not a good year to punch a wall. 

Archived