Austin Hays 2017

Frobby

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays had himself a day today -- 5 for 5, with two doubles, two homers and six RBI.     He's very deserving of a midseason promotion IMO.

He and Mullins are the two most exciting players in our system. Need to get Hays to Bowie at the break and, probably later in the season because Mullins missed some time with the hammy, let's see him in Norfolk. 

The big club could really use a couple outfielders in the next year or two.

With a solid second half, I don't think it's unrealistic to think Hays is in play for the Opening Day roster next season. Mullins could make a push, too. After seeing Mancini this season, I'm far more bullish on pushing some of these guys with big minor league numbers and see what they can do. 

1 hour ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

With a solid second half, I don't think it's unrealistic to think Hays is in play for the Opening Day roster next season. Mullins could make a push, too. After seeing Mancini this season, I'm far more bullish on pushing some of these guys with big minor league numbers and see what they can do. 

Totally depends on the state of the team, but no reason to rush those guys. 

Mancini has a lot of experience on those players and is three years older. 

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Totally depends on the state of the team, but no reason to rush those guys. 

Mancini has a lot of experience on those players and is three years older. 

Mancini was also nowhere near the prospect of Hays. Schoop debuted at 21, first full season was at 22. He also had to learn a new position in the Show and never put up numbers anywhere near what Hays is producing. Seems like the real deal, IMO

10 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Mancini was also nowhere near the prospect of Hays. Schoop debuted at 21, first full season was at 22. He also had to learn a new position in the Show and never put up numbers anywhere near what Hays is producing.   Seems like the real deal, IMO

Mancini hit .359/.395/.586 in the Eastern League in 2015, leading the league in batting.    Hays is hitting .328/.364/.592 now.    So I wouldn't say Mancini never put up numbers like Hays' in the minors.    

That said, Hays was drafted much higher, is a better defensive outfielder, and is doing better at Frederick than Mancini did at a younger age.    There's every reason why Hays should be a more highly regarded prospect at this stage than Mancini was when he was in the minors.    

10 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Mancini was also nowhere near the prospect of Hays. Schoop debuted at 21, first full season was at 22. He also had to learn a new position in the Show and never put up numbers anywhere near what Hays is producing. Seems like the real deal, IMO

Schoop started playing in the minors when he was 18 and had several seasons of minor league ball under his belt. Also worth mentioning, is that he was pretty bad in his rookie season. He could have probably used another season in the minors. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Mullins and/or Hays were in Baltimore at some point next year, but breaking with the team on Opening Day seems unrealistic. 

Archived