Austin Hays 2017

Frobby

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Bowie by mid-season or bust.  

I'm only half kidding.  With the two pitchers (Sedlock, Akin) and Hays it's tough to imagine them being future quality big league players if they can't handle A ball at age 21/22.  

Hays and Mullins should give us all hope for some athletic/plus defender outfielders in Baltimore, hopefully by 2019 and maybe earlier.  Once they are both proving themselves in Double A my excitement level will increase.   

11 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Hays and Mullins should give us all hope for some athletic/plus defender outfielders in Baltimore, hopefully by 2019 and maybe earlier.  Once they are both proving themselves in Double A my excitement level will increase.   

Don't trade Steve Finley and Brady Anderson... er Mullins and Hays.    

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Any reason to keep him in Frederick much longer?

He doesn't have 100 at bats under his belt. Another 100 and if he's still tearing it up I would move him to Bowie, but more likely it will come right after the league all-star break. 

He could be our no. 1 prospect by mid-season. I already have him in my top 3. 

23 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He doesn't have 100 at bats under his belt. Another 100 and if he's still tearing it up I would move him to Bowie, but more likely it will come right after the league all-star break. 

He could be our no. 1 prospect by mid-season. I already have him in my top 3. 

Yeah, no big hurry.     Promoting Hays may mean demoting someone else, and I'm sure the O's are in no hurry to do that.   

On 4/13/2017 at 10:59 PM, ChuckS said:

In Bowie by mid-season or bust.  

I'm only half kidding.  With the two pitchers (Sedlock, Akin) and Hays it's tough to imagine them being future quality big league players if they can't handle A ball at age 21/22.  

I can't wait for them to get to the bigs/Norfolk so I can watch them. 

47 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

There is a lot of dead weight in the Norfolk outfield 

Hays and Mullins have nobody in front of them to worry about.  They'll move up when they're ready.  The OF looked like it lacked long term options not to long ago.  Mancini and Rickard are already in the MLB.  Mullins, Hays and Stewart will all be in AAA/AA by the end of the year.  Plus we could still keep Santander somehow.  

After seeing Starling Marte in the news the past week, I took a look at his stats and Austin Hays came to mind.

I dug deeper and they have pretty similar profiles(so far at least - SSS, I know) . Both have pretty high batting averages. Both don't really walk much and strike out about 20% of the time. Hays might have more power (higher slugging and ISO so far). Based on reports about Hays' tools, he should be an above average corner outfielder. Lastly, they are on the same age trajectory as well. Marte played in High A at the same age with similar stats at the same age Hays is now. I may be way off, but I can get my hopes up that he reaches this ceiling and is a 4-ish WAR player (just no PEDs please).

On 4/27/2017 at 3:55 PM, oceanicvoyage said:

After seeing Starling Marte in the news the past week, I took a look at his stats and Austin Hays came to mind.

I dug deeper and they have pretty similar profiles(so far at least - SSS, I know) . Both have pretty high batting averages. Both don't really walk much and strike out about 20% of the time. Hays might have more power (higher slugging and ISO so far). Based on reports about Hays' tools, he should be an above average corner outfielder. Lastly, they are on the same age trajectory as well. Marte played in High A at the same age with similar stats at the same age Hays is now. I may be way off, but I can get my hopes up that he reaches this ceiling and is a 4-ish WAR player (just no PEDs please).

Just don't get caught please.

Any update on his injury? DNP the last two games. He missed several weeks from what I recall last year in Aberdeen with another leg injury.  

Was really looking forward to seeing the Keys sometime in the next week or two but now with Hays and Reyes out I'm not sure I'll even bother making it out there.  

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He missed time with a wrist injury last year. I don't remember a leg injury.

Okay, that must have been what it was.  I guess it's good that is something different and not a recurring injury.  

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Any update on his injury? DNP the last two games. He missed several weeks from what I recall last year in Aberdeen with another leg injury.  

Was really looking forward to seeing the Keys sometime in the next week or two but now with Hays and Reyes out I'm not sure I'll even bother making it out there.  

Go. They still have Gassaway, Mountcastle, and Murphy, along with the pitching corps.

Archived