Rickard is being activated too soon

wildcard

Word is that Rickard will be activated from the DL on Friday. 

Buck and Dan are the expects.  I am a fan sitting on the couch with a computer.   I get the difference.   But I don't agree with this move happening now.

To me Rickard had to prove two things to be ready to re-join the O's. 1) that he is healthy.  I think he has done that.  2) that he is as prepared as possible to hit major league pitching.  I don't think enough has been done to prepare him.  Three singles in ten at bats in low A ball doesn't do it for me.  I would like to see him hit well at AA or AAA before returning.  That would be the best the O's can do to make sure he is ready.

Dan and Buck rule.  I just root for the home team.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's wait and see whether they activate him to the major league roster, or option him to an affiliate.   However, I expect it's the former.   

I don't really agree with the rationale in the OP.    Rickard hasn't been down so long that he's forgotten what major league pitching looks like.    He just needed to see a few 90 mph pitches out of the hand of a live human being.    I don't doubt his readiness.   I do wonder how we're going to handle the upcoming roster crunch.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Let's wait and see whether they activate him to the major league roster, or option him to an affiliate.   However, I expect it's the former.   

I don't really agree with the rationale in the OP.    Rickard hasn't been down so long that he's forgotten what major league pitching looks like.    He just needed to see a few 90 mph pitches out of the hand of a live human being.    I don't doubt his readiness.   I do wonder how we're going to handle the upcoming roster crunch.   

Right. Apparently he hit .300 in a very SSS. More importantly, he ostensibly was comfortable doing it. 

7 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Last year showed that he could hit lefty pitching, which is the role in which he'll be used with smith and Kim starting against righties. 

In under 100 AB with a .348 BABIP? I'm not convinced. 

He's been under replacement level as a big leaguer and all three Fangraphs projections have him under replacement level in limited at bats for 2017. 

The guy is apparently popular, and has some talent. Like many Rule 5 players who miss key MiL development, I don't think he's ready.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I saw that Paul Fry got optioned after the game, but that has to be for a P.  Even with the off day the bullpen is pretty taxed.  I doubt we would play with a short pen.   

I don't think they have a short pen if they are skipping the fifth this weekend.  Now they may need to make a change when they need one on Tuesday.

We have a handful of lefties over the next two series.

1 minute ago, Natty said:

I heard 5 lefties in the next 7 games. Rickards time is here. I hope he shines. 

Yup. Sabathia on Friday. Rickard will be activated from the DL. We're just going to play with a short pen for two days, but we will have two long guys in Asher and Nuno.  

I'm thinking this is the plan: off day, Gausman should go 6 IP on Friday, Aquino starts Saturday, Aquino or Asher is optioned for a BP arm for Sunday, Tillman starts the next time we need a 5th SP.  

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's not about whether Rickard forgot how to hit.  Its whether his timing is good enough to hit it.  There  is a difference between low A pitching and AA or AAA.  That's why they have levels in the minors.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It's not about whether Rickard forgot how to hit.  Its whether his timing is good enough to hit it.  There  is a difference between low A pitching and AA or AAA.  That's why they have levels in the minors.

We will find out Friday as Rickard bats leadoff against Sabathia...

A full spring training and 70 AB's haven't allowed Mark Trumbo to get his timing

I think you folks give too much importance to  hitting in the minors on a rehab assignment.

The only point is to make sure he is 100% healthy. The results don't matter. They are judging his ability on what they saw last year in the majors, not his success on a rehab assignment. Apparently they think he can contribute.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes, I'm aware.   There's also a difference in being out for two weeks vs. being out for a month or longer.     I'm not going to question Dan and Buck on whether Rickard needs AA or AAA rehab time.    

Archived