Kim is Cursed.

yujinishuge

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nope, not a clue.

But it isn't his defense since Buck has shown a willingness to put guys out there that are as bad or worse.

Maybe he doesn't think they are as bad or worse, overall.   Whatever.    It's a long season, and just like roles were adjusted as last season progressed, the same will happen this year.   

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It isn't JUST his defense.

My theory.   

1. Buck thinks Kim is a virtual statue in LF

2. I think Buck is suffering from a case of confirmation bias in that Kim's second half last year and somewhat slower start this year confirm his earlier feelings that Kim just isn't all that good offensively as well.

3. Kim, despite being a good hitter is a very unorthodox hitter.   I don't think Buck likes his style of hitting.

4. Duquettte is the one who talks about OBP.   Not Buck.   Buck talks about being aggressive at the plate.   Buck prefers Adam Jones/ Jon Schoop/ Trey Mancini  style of hitting to Kim.

All plausible, but essentially speculation.    It could be he just went with Mancini a lot in the early going because he'd had a hot hand.   

With Mancini coming back to Earth and Trumbo flailing at the plate there is literally no reason not to play Kim vs. every single RHP. If you don't want him in the field--fine--he can DH. Even with a somewhat slow start by his standards, he's still outhitting most of the team.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And Flaherty because he had oatmeal for breakfast?

The only logical explanation for Flaherty is that Buck doesn't want him sitting on the bench for weeks at a time, and isn't ready to sit Schoop or Machado (Hardy has sat twice already).    

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, Babypowder said:

Fine to disagree I guess. I just don't know how anyone watching last night didn't see an obviously inexperienced and slow outfielder making routine plays look very interesting.

But he makes up for it with his bat.

Statcast showed him running faster than Adam Jones on both of their hard running catches. Flaherty did show his inexperience out there, especially when he missed that catchable ball near the wall, but the ball he caught down the line was decent and I watched the diving play several times and it looks like he got a good jump, covered a lot of ground and made a nice catch. I believe they rated that catch a 3 star catch. Flaherty doesn't have a lot of experience playing the outfield and especially not LF, but for a guy who doesn't play there much, he doesn't look like a terrible down grad form Kim.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The only logical explanation for Flaherty is that Buck doesn't want him sitting on the bench for weeks at a time, and isn't ready to sit Schoop or Machado (Hardy has sat twice already).    

Flaherty had good numbers against Porciello coming into the game last night didn't hurt either.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Flaherty had good numbers against Porciello coming into the game last night didn't hurt either.

So sit Schoop, who had bad numbers against him.  (If you think there is value in small sample size hitter/pitcher matchups)

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It isn't JUST his defense.

My theory.   

1. Buck thinks Kim is a virtual statue in LF

2. I think Buck is suffering from a case of confirmation bias in that Kim's second half last year and somewhat slower start this year confirm his earlier feelings that Kim just isn't all that good offensively as well.

3. Kim, despite being a good hitter is a very unorthodox hitter.   I don't think Buck likes his style of hitting.

4. Duquettte is the one who talks about OBP.   Not Buck.   Buck talks about being aggressive at the plate.   Buck prefers Adam Jones/ Jon Schoop/ Trey Mancini  style of hitting to Kim.

Not much to argue with here. I think Buck thinks Kim's .275/.353/.386/.738 2n half slash line is more round his talent level. I do think he'll get most of the starts in LF against righties, but Flaherty had good numbers against Porcello and we know Buck never let' a good matchup, regardless of it's SSS go unrewarded.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So sit Schoop, who had bad numbers against him.  (If you think there is value in small sample size hitter/pitcher matchups)

But Schoop is one of the team's best hitters. I'm just saying what I think Buck thinks, not what I would do.

On 5/2/2017 at 11:18 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks are looking for reasons to support Buck's treatment of Kim.  Goodness knows he isn't good out there but to act like he is worse than a reserve middle infielder or career first baseman is just silly.

I'm a big Kim fan and I am sad to see him not get more of a chance. 

I think there are a couple of problems. Some are good problems for the Orioles.

1) Seth Smith is always an option to Kim

2) the need to squeeze Flaherty in some where. I agree that it's okay to give an IF a day off. Davis comes to mind as well 3 homers and 6 RBI in 29 games for our highest paid player. Give him a few days to work on his swing because it's really ugly right now.

3) too many LH starters

4) the big lie....Buck saying he would give Kim a chance to hit lefties.

5) Bucks preference to mix Trumbo in with that group.

6) options options options....last year this team lacked viable options. Now we have Rickard, Smith, Mancini, Trumbo, Gentry, KIM and occasionally Flaherty for 3 slots each night RF, LF, and DH. And Trumbo plays everyday. So really 2 slots for everyone else.

Archived