MLB has reached the level of being a joke

Nite

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Buck said, We keep taking the high road and keep getting screwed.  

Even the Jones stuff couldn't bury the "beanball" war story.  You have Lebron talking about Adam Jones after a playoff game last night.  Not getting political, just looking at it from purely a PR and news point of view.  

One of your faces of baseball, coming off a huge WBC win(AJ at peak popularity), goes through that, and that still isn't enough to bury the story.  So what would it have to take?  An orioles or red sox organizational tragedy?  

So it would take a death to stop Boston's anger about Pedroia possibly hurt on a baseball play?  

I am surprised by how many umpires appear to have a poor understanding of the game of baseball.

As for Holbrook, he should either be demoted to the minors or face a suspension himself. " Holbrook told pool reporter Ken Powtak here at Fenway Park. "'I know that the ball was a curveball. But it hit him square in the back (actually, the ball hit him in the butt) and just making a split decision at that point right there, there needs to be an end to this stuff, and I felt like an ejection was the right thing to do at that time, and that's what we did. Thankfully, we didn't have any more problems the rest of the game.'" 

Holbrook is taking credit for ending the feud!?! He is one of those umps who think the fans pay money to watch the umpires.

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I am surprised by how many umpires appear to have a poor understanding of the game of baseball.

As for Holbrook, he should either be demoted to the minors or face a suspension himself. " Holbrook told pool reporter Ken Powtak here at Fenway Park. "'I know that the ball was a curveball. But it hit him square in the back (actually, the ball hit him in the butt) and just making a split decision at that point right there, there needs to be an end to this stuff, and I felt like an ejection was the right thing to do at that time, and that's what we did. Thankfully, we didn't have any more problems the rest of the game.'" 

Holbrook is taking credit for ending the feud!?! He is one of those umps who think the fans pay money to watch the umpires.

So I was imagining him throwing a second Oriole player out of the game?

Dude, just admit you had money on the game, it's OK.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

I have to disagree. I think there was just no way he was going to put himself in the situation of being yelled at all game by the Boston fans, Farrel, Sale, NESN etc. for *not* throwing Gausman out. All he had to put up with on the Baltimore side was Buck, who he can just eject.

So, do you think that if Pomeranz had been the one to hit a batter with a 77 mph curve ball, the ump would not have tossed him?     I don't think that.    It just so happened that it was the Orioles' pitcher who hit someone.   

2 hours ago, joeyc said:

So inserting some minor league pitcher in Fenway Park didn't hurt us? Come On Now.

That minor leaguer gave up one earned run in 3+ innings. How many runs do you think Gausman realistically gives up?

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So, do you think that if Pomeranz had been the one to hit a batter with a 77 mph curve ball, the ump would not have tossed him?     I don't think that.    It just so happened that it was the Orioles' pitcher who hit someone.   

Ejecting Pomeranz on a curve would have been equally wrong. Umpires can't take the curveball out of the game because they think they are the cops on the field. If it had been a fastball that came close to a batter, it would be different. But no pitcher, under any circumstances, should be ejected or warned on a changeup or curveball.

7 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Ejecting Pomeranz on a curve would have been equally wrong. Umpires can't take the curveball out of the game because they think they are the cops on the field. If it had been a fastball that came close to a batter, it would be different. But no pitcher, under any circumstances, should be ejected or warned on a changeup or curveball.

Unless it's Kershaw because he's a wizard.

12 hours ago, BMann said:

I didn't see Jones throw his helmet. I think he just said a few choice words as he walked away, and that was all the ump needed to hear.

Who was the guy last week that threw his bat away after getting called out and got a warning? Adam complains walking back to the dugout and is tossed. I truly believe umpires need to be held accountable for their actions. He needs to be suspended for his ridiculous judgement calls.

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Just an awful take from a guy with poor judgement. How can MLB allow guys with this lack of judgement continue to umpire? It hurts the integrity of the game.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just an awful take from a guy with poor judgement. How can MLB allow guys with this lack of judgement continue to umpire? It hurts the integrity of the game.

I thought it was a bad decision, but I understand why he did it considering all that had gone on the last several times these teams have played, the decision of Manfred to call both teams, etc.   In essence, due to the circumstances there was a zero tolerance policy for an HBP last night.    I don't agree with it, but it's not as though he did it in some average game with no prior history.    

We got hosed, but it's time to move on.     

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was a bad decision, but I understand why he did it considering all that had gone on the last several times these teams have played, the decision of Manfred to call both teams, etc.   in essence, due to the circumstances there was a zero tolerance policy for an HBP last night.    I don't agree with it, but it's not as though he did it in some average game with no prior history.    

Here's the issue though, Torre told them not to issue warnings so guys aren't playing on eggshells yet Gausman gets tossed for hitting a guy with a curveball that clearly got away. We all know the history, but that doesn't give an umpire carte blanche to just throw out the first guy who vaguely does something that could be considered another incident.

Clearly we have to move on, but 100% disagree with you that anyone can "understand" what he did. The only way you understand what he did is to assume the guy has no understanding of the game and was just trigger happy waiting for the first guy to take out so he can look like he put an end to it. Sale throws a 98 MPH fastball behind Machado on a night when he had pinpoint control and then Gausman gets tossed on a 77MPH curveball? There is absolutely no fairness in that at all!

It was an awful, awful judgement call and umpires are paid to make good judgement calls.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought it was a bad decision, but I understand why he did it considering all that had gone on the last several times these teams have played, the decision of Manfred to call both teams, etc.   In essence, due to the circumstances there was a zero tolerance policy for an HBP last night.    I don't agree with it, but it's not as though he did it in some average game with no prior history.    

I don't.

If both benches had been warned I could see it.  As is...

1. Who intentionally hits a batter with a curve ball?
  2. Who would be stupid enough to keep throwing at guys after the comish made it a point to get involved?
  3. Gausman has thrown what eight curveballs this year?  Two have been strikes.  He's had very poor command all year.
  4. The speed at which the ejection was made.  Is there a rule about calling the other umps in and getting other opinions? 
  5. The game situation.  Does he think Gausman going to risk getting ejected in the second inning?  Does he think Gausman wants additional baserunners?

Every bit of common sense points to it being an accident.

Archived