Barstool Sports: Red Sox/Orioles Rivalry is Great For Baseball

TINSTAAPP

After another ejection last night, albeit a bull---- one, I’d like to say that I am VERY much in on this budding Red Sox and Orioles hatred.

I’ve never given a s--- about the Orioles in my entire life. Growing up Camden Yards was the lovely place you go for a family trip, loaded with Red Sox fans because it was basically cheaper to grab a flight to BWI and some tickets to that empty ballpark than it was to get tickets to a game at Fenway. Personally, I never went, but countless kids on my little league teams would take the trip. That’s what the Baltimore Orioles have always been to me, the blah team in the mid-Atlantic with fans so lame that we could take over their ballpark without a fight.

But now? Obviously, the Os have been a better team as of late and I’ll admit that the fans have followed suit. That’s not a bandwagon bash either, as teams get better fans get louder, that’s just human nature and I welcome it. The louder those crab eating, Natty Bo drinking, lacrosse playing losers are then the more gasoline it dumps on this newly found passion for this traditionally lame franchise.

Everything about it fits perfectly. David Ortiz was our strongest reminder of days gone by when a rivalry with the Yankees was actually a thing. Now, that rivalry is gone and so is Papi. We need something new to get up for May games.

Enter the incredibly hateable Buck Showalter who does his best at every press conference to needle the Red Sox. Enter Chris Sale and a crop of you Red Sox stars, who I’d follow into battle at Thermopylae even if it was just the handful of us. Bring in Manny Machado crying his eyes out when he gets thrown at and saying he’s lost respect for the organization like he’s the first superstar who’s ever had to wear one. Manny’s rant the other night wasn’t the first time he’s caught feelings about being on the business end of a brushback or a beanball, Yordano Ventura threw him inside last year which made Manny run his mouth leading to him being thrown at which led to Manny charging the mound. Fernando Adad threw Manny inside in 2014 and on the next pitch Manny’s bat “slipped” and went flying toward the third baseman, he meant to throw it at Abad and this also cleared the benches. Manny Machado is very good at baseball, he’s also very much a bitch who is fun to hate. Mix in some Adam Jones who… well, we’ll leave that one alone… but whose unfortunate situation has still made this matchup a lightning rod for attention and gotten tempers flaring on both sides. I’m not condoning what was said, not by a long shot, but there’s no denying it gave both sides an extra clip of ammunition in this war.

So yeah, I’m all the way in on this. Baseball is so regional and so long that you really need rivalries to stoke the fires in May. If you need me tonight I’ll be plopped in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn, ranting about how Brady Anderson is the real face of steroid use and Cal Ripken only played in 2,632 consecutive games because he didn’t leave it all on the field. See you there.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/im-all-in-for-this-new-red-soxorioles-rivalry/?_branch_match_id=388799992375600685

*Insert echo of the other poster's angry sentiments toward this fellow and others like him here*

To my primary point, though, I'm so sick of hearing from any Red Sox fan that chooses to open his/her mouth that "we go down to Baltimore because it's cheaper than a pair of tickets at Fenway!!!"  I would love to see a financial breakdown of how two plane tickets to Baltimore, a hotel for a night, two game tickets, a taxi to and from the airport (in Boston and Baltimore), and the associated costs of eating/drinking out while staying in a different city are somehow cheaper than two tickets, parking, a hot dog, and a beer at Fenway Park.  Is math not a thing there?  I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous.  Someone please help me.

Enough, Boston.

I mean look this is pretty obviously a troll post but whatever it's seemed all in good fun for the most part.

That is until he calls Adam Jones being abused with racial slurs "an unfortunate situation," but whatever because it "given extra ammunition to boths sides"

Uhh no. 1st of all it didn't heat up the rivalry it actually cooled it down because the Red Sox players backed Jones up and the fans gave him a ovation when he came to the plate.

More importantly an attitude of referring to racial slurs as an "unfortunate situation" and the whole "IDK about this I didn't hear anything" is what allows racism to continue to fester when everyone claims to be "totally not a racist"

Lets just say I'm proud of the ways that the O's have shown themselves to be one of the most outspoken and progressive teams in baseball... And our fans seem to conduct themselves with class.

Can't say the same for the BoSox

Very hard to take barstool sports seriously. As a college kid, I follow barstool sports to watch the idiotic videos they post of drunk kids, not to actually value their opinions. Big Cat, their president or founder (not really sure) is just a grown man trying to still live the college life. 

None the less, this is the first time in a long time I have had real baseball discussions with more than 2 people my age due to their increased interest in baseball because of this. 

I thought it was pretty funny, though this guy is obviously unaware that baseball existed in the 20th century, that the O's were better than the Red Sox for several decades and that tickets to OPACY were tough to come by for a long time until the O's hit the skids, Cal retired and the Nats moved to D.C.    And I guess he missed the end of the 2011 season and the Red Sox's last place finishes in 2012, '14 and '15.

6 hours ago, Malike said:

I hope he choked on his Lobster when Machado hit that 466 foot bomb.

o

That would have been a home run in the original Yankee Stadium, where it was 457 feet to left-centerfield, and 461 feet to straightaway centerfield.

o19572.jpg

o

Archived