Poll: Smoak v. Alvarez

Who would you prefer to see the O's draft, were they both available?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to see the O's draft, were they both available?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is tough to answer...I think most would agree that Alvarez is the better talent and he does play the more important position.

However, what we don't know is if we give a ton of money to Alvarez how is that going to effect our picks in the rounds after the first?

Last year, we gave a lot to Wieters but we didn't have a second or third round pick.

If the draft budget is unlimited, then my answer is Alvarez...If we have a limit, then i may prefer Smoak and then go get 2-3 Arrieta type guys in later rounds.

This is tough to answer...I think most would agree that Alvarez is the better talent and he does play the more important position.

However, what we don't know is if we give a ton of money to Alvarez how is that going to effect our picks in the rounds after the first?

Last year, we gave a lot to Wieters but we didn't have a second or third round pick.

If the draft budget is unlimited, then my answer is Alvarez...If we have a limit, then i may prefer Smoak and then go get 2-3 Arrieta type guys in later rounds.

Very tough indeed.

Alvarez may indeed turn out to be the better player, but I really like Smoak. I'll be VERY disappointed if we don't draft him at #4. Switch hitter with power, slick glove and a previous relationship with our catcher of the future just pushes him over the top for me. I would also hope that since he doesn't seem to have a power hungry agent "advising" him that may mean we could get him signed and playing this summer. How great would it be to have both Weiters and Smoak playing together at Bowie by summer's end?

I just want to take a moment to thank Greg, Stotle, et al for providing such great overall draft coverage. The scouting reports and links to other content really has made research both easy and fun.

Here's a big Rex Barney, "Thank yoooooou!" :clap3:

Alvarez may indeed turn out to be the better player, but I really like Smoak. I'll be VERY disappointed if we don't draft him at #4. Switch hitter with power, slick glove and a previous relationship with our catcher of the future just pushes him over the top for me. I would also hope that since he doesn't seem to have a power hungry agent "advising" him that may mean we could get him signed and playing this summer. How great would it be to have both Weiters and Smoak playing together at Bowie by summer's end?

I just want to take a moment to thank Greg, Stotle, et al for providing such great overall draft coverage. The scouting reports and links to other content really has made research both easy and fun.

Thank you. I am so torn on this one... Smoak is a beast, but most scouts feel Alvarez is the better overall player. I imagine that if Alvarez had not been hurt this year we'd not be asking these questions. :o

Thank you. I am so torn on this one... Smoak is a beast, but most scouts feel Alvarez is the better overall player. I imagine that if Alvarez had not been hurt this year we'd not be asking these questions. :o

I might have missed it, but are you hoping we land either of these two? Are they your top choices for us?

Supposedly 1st basemen are easier to find than 3rd basemen or corner outfielders, so just on a position vs position basis Pedro should be more valuable. But I'm concerned about Alvarez's stats post injury, and whether he'll really be 100% any time soon. I love the fact that Smoak is projected to be a plus defender as well as a power hitter. It's been so long since we've had a decent defensive first baseman (David Segui?) I've forgotten what they look like.

Ask me yesterday and I'd have said Alvarez, but today it's Smoak. Either way it's win/win, but it better be one of them. Let Matusz drop to the Giants.

Thanks; it's been fun.

This should be a shut out. Alvarez is the best player in the draft.

Is... was... don't know really. I am an Alvarez fan, and if we get him, sweeeeet. :)

However, I do have some concerns, particularly defensively. He committed 16 errors and had a .917 fielding % at 3B, all in 66 games... just last year. Again this year (the injury may be part of the issue) he was even worse with a .903 fldg % in 40 games. Some scouts believe he can become an adequate 3B'man, while others believe he'll move to 1B or even a corner outfield. Again, there is a bit of a concern with a player that may have to switch to a position he is unfamiliar with and hope he'll be okay there.

Alvarez also hasn't had the best BB/K ratio, having a 40/65 ratio last year and a 28/26 ratio this year, as compared to Smoak's 54/40 last year and 57/28 ratio this year.

With all that being said, Alvarez is a decent enough athlete that he should be okay whatever position he plays, and should be an outstanding pro, but I don't think it's as one-sided as you feel it is.

Archived