What happened to Ynoa?

wildcard

10 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

When she was good, she was very good indeed ........ but when she was bad, she was horrid.

I remember seeing this movie when I was in 9th grade, and Nicole Eggert and her mother (Cheryl Ladd) using the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow adage at the beginning of the film.

When She Was Bad... (1979)

o

Image result for deniro gif

• 2 weeks later...

o

Ynoa was pitch-efficient, but could not stay completely out of trouble before being removed from the game.

12 OUTS: 3 Groundouts, 3 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Popout, 1 Caught Stealing

GABRIEL YNOA  GOMEZ )))))) (vs. TIGERS, 9/14)

IP:ll.4 - PLUS

H:llll 7 )) (1 Home Run, 6 Singles)

R:lllll 2

BB:ll1

SO:lll1

Pitches: )l 59(40 )Strikes, )19 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.74 )l) 100.33 IP  (64 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.395 )l )  100.33 IP  (140 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .282 ))  (116 for 411)

PITCHES BY INNING

13 ll(91 llStrikes, lll.4 llBalls)

18 lll(10 lStrikes, llllllBalls)

12 ll(9llStrikes, llll3 llBalls)

11 lll(9llStrikes, llll2 llBalls)

51 lll(3llStrikes, llll2 llBalls)) *

* )) Ynoa did not record any outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

o

This was the 3rd consecutive start in which Ynoa was very pitch-efficient.

19 OUTS: 9 Flyouts, 5 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 1 Strikeout, 1 Popout, 1 Lineout 

GABRIEL YNOA  GOMEZ )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/19)

IP:lll6.33

H:llll 6 )) (2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:lllll 3

BB:l.0 ) *

SO:lll1

Pitches: )l 77(51 )Strikes, )26 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.65 )l) 106.67 IP  (67 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.369 )l )  106.67 IP  (146 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .281 ))  (122 for 434)

* )) Ynoa had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

11 ll(71 llStrikes, ll.4 llBalls)

12 lll(81 lStrikes, lll.llBalls)

61 ll(5llStrikes, lll.1 llBalls)

17 lll(10 llStrikes, llll7 llBalls)

11 lll(6llStrikes, lll.5 llBalls)

13 lll(9llStrikes, lll.4 llBalls)

71 lll(6llStrikes, llll1 llBalls)) **

** )) Ynoa recorded 1 out before departing in the 7th inning.

o

o

This was the first time in 4 starts in which Ynoa WAS NOT very pitch-efficient.

12 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts, 2 Lineouts

GABRIEL YNOA  GOMEZ )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/25)

IP:lll4

H:llll 4 )) (2 Home Runs, 2 Singles)

R:lllll 2

BB:ll2

SO:ll.5

Pitches: )l 83(51 )Strikes, )32 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 5.61 )l) 110.67 IP  (69 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.373 )l )  110.67 IP  (152 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .280 ))  (126 for 450) 

PITCHES BY INNING

19 ll(12 llStrikes, lll71 llBalls)

20 lll(12 llStrikes, lll.81 llBalls)

25 lll(12 llStrikes, l.13 llllBalls)

19 lll(15 l.Strikes, llll41 llBalls)

o

On 9/20/2019 at 8:39 AM, Frobby said:

Without a doubt, in my opinion.  He’s a very useful swing man.  

Every time I look at his inflated ERA, I wonder how it's possible we gave Daniel Cabrera so much grief. All things considered, Ynoa's been sorta fine this year, or at least useful enough to eat innings, despite an ERA near 6 most of the year. 

Maybe I'm numb to the high ERAs these days, but seriously, some people hated Jeremy Guthrie for pitching 200 innings with a 5.04 ERA in 2009. Ludicrous to even fathom. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Every time I look at his inflated ERA, I wonder how it's possible we gave Daniel Cabrera so much grief. All things considered, Ynoa's been sorta fine this year, or at least useful enough to eat innings, despite an ERA near 6 most of the year. 

Maybe I'm numb to the high ERAs these days, but seriously, some people hated Jeremy Guthrie for pitching 200 innings with a 5.04 ERA in 2009. Ludicrous to even fathom. 

If this was a playoff contender, I would cringe on Ynoa being on the 25 man roster.

But, this team, it doesn't impact too much. :)

He could actually be useful in the swing role next season.

4 hours ago, interloper said:

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Ynoa’s not good, but he’s been decent at times.   4.53 ERA in his last 18 appearances.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This was the first time in 4 starts in which Ynoa WAS NOT very pitch-efficient.

o

o

In his last 4 starts combined, Ynoa has a 3.92 ERA and a 1.258 WHIP over 20.67 Innings Pitched, to go along with 3 Walks and 9 Strikeouts.

Not great, not bad.

He had one bad outing out of the bullpen sandwiched inside of those 4 starts.

o

• 3 weeks later...

Ynoa “quietly” pitched the 3rd most innings on the team with 110.2. He at least had a positive WAR of 0.1. He hadn’t really pitched in 2 seasons. 

Is he anything more than an innings eating a swingman type?  With no options remaining, the innings he gave us in 2019, and the 26th man roster, means he has to be a lock for the 2020 roster. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ynoa “quietly” pitched the 3rd most innings on the team with 110.2. He at least had a positive WAR of 0.1. He hadn’t really pitched in 2 seasons. 

Is he anything more than an innings eating a swingman type?  With no options remaining, the innings he gave us in 2019, and the 26th man roster, means he has to be a lock for the 2020 roster. 

He has days where he looks really good, and others when he has nothing.    Overall I think he’s pretty useful in the swing man role.    As you say, he soaked up 110 innings.   Probably worth keeping until someone better comes along.   

• Thanks 1

Ynoa was 1-10 with a 5.61 ERA, a 1.373 WHIP.  He gave up more hits and innings pitched and had only 67 strikeouts in 110 innings pitched.  

I don't think he stays on the 40 man roster over the winter.   The O's may offer him a reliever position at Norfolk after he is DFA'd but there will be a lot of competition for the Norfolk reliever position next spring. 

Here are some of the candidates for Norfolk pen:

Kline, Tate, Erwin, Alvarado, Eades, Cervenka, Muckerhim, .Fry, Armstrong, Hess. Shepherd, Sulser, Ortiz, Manhold and Rogers.