Winning solves everything

wildcard

The O's lose 13 out of 16 and they seem like a bad team that is going nowhere but to the bottom

They win 4 for 5 vs the Yankees and Red Sox and they seems like contenders.

But some things have not changed.  The O's still have two starters with ERAs over 5.00.     They still are a middle of the league offensive team.

Coming home seems  to have a direct connection with winning.

But can the O's do better than 10-16 on the road?

Stay tuned.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

Nothing has changed for me. I enjoy it more when they win, but they are not a serious contender for a long play-off run.

Baseball is a long 6 month, 162 game season.  Enjoy anytime your team is winning and has a chance at the playoffs.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Baseball is a long 6 month, 162 game season.  Enjoy anytime your team is winning and has a chance at the playoffs.  

I agree with this. I would say however after 5 years of enjoyable baseball. I would like a team that strong enough to win it. This group is interesting because it still could be good enough. But it would take almost everything going right. Will it?  

I still think it might. It is time for Manny to be Manny though....

5 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Nothing has changed for me. I enjoy it more when they win, but they are not a serious contender for a long play-off run.

Same here, but nothing they do this season fixes any of the underlying issues that have a growing number of people in favor of a rebuild. Until those issues are addressed, nothing will change for me. Looking only at this season neglects the bigger picture as it seems some on here think it's all reactionary based on this season alone and for some, it might be as fickle as that. Personally, it's been how I see this organization for going on two years now and nothing has happened to make me see it any differently.

I don't think anyone who shares the same views about this team seriously thought the Orioles would just lose for the rest of the year since that's ridiculous. The team will hit home runs especially when opposing pitchers throw it right down the middle to them like some of these Boston pitchers have, but they still almost blew a 7-1 lead in the ninth inning of game one with two outs. Nothing has really changed and the team is still performing as I would have expected. At the end of the year, I still don't see them being ahead of New York or Boston in the standings and it's yet to be seen what Toronto will do once they really get going.

A few wins might be enough to sway some people, but I am a little firmer in my convictions than that.

6 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

If they are in the hunt in July, you can expect Dan to make some moves.  Whether they'll have any positive impact on the 2017 team is hard to say, given Dan's track record.    But that's why I wouldn't judge our postseason chances based on what the team looks like on June 3.

As for me, I far prefer visiting OH when the team has won.    You still get skeptics, but it's not a constant drumbeat of negativity and pessimism.     It's amazing to me how many people overreact to every team or individual slump.

7 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Not even a possibility of reasoning that. Other than playing the natural odds that 28  teams will ultimately fail 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Not even a possibility of reasoning that. Other than playing the natural odds that 28  teams will ultimately fail 

29 teams.    Only making it to the World Series is a miserable failure.    Forget the 162 game season and two rounds of playoffs you enjoyed.  Success and failure and happiness or misery should be determined exclusively by what happens in 10 days in late October.    There's no such thing as relativism.    You're either a champion or a LOSER.      So don't you dare enjoy the Orioles being in another tight race this summer, because those with perfect knowledge say the O's will be among the 29 LOSERS.    We're fools if we don't understand that and actually want to watch the games and enjoy seeing how it unfolds.    

1 hour ago, weams said:

Reason?  Did you say reason?  Um were talking fan here as in short for fanatic.  Reason.  I'll give you a reason in a minute...... :)

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

29 teams.    Only making it to the World Series is a miserable failure.    Forget the 162 game season and two rounds of playoffs you enjoyed.  Success and failure and happiness or misery should be determined exclusively by what happens in 10 days in late October.    There's no such thing as relativism.    You're either a champion or a LOSER.      So don't you dare enjoy the Orioles being in another tight race this summer, because those with perfect knowledge say the O's will be among the 29 LOSERS.    We're fools if we don't understand that and actually want to watch the games and enjoy seeing how it unfolds.    

Tough love.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's the Yankee way!

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

So true, though the other way of looking at is realizing the O's have only gotten near the WS 2 or 3 times since 1983, and only once since 1997.  Duquette, MacPhail and Showalter have done a good job making this team a winner again, but it's hard to see how to reach the next level unless the O's do a better job developing and keeping more cheap, controllable starting pitching -- or risking some splurges on the likes of Greinke, Scherzer or Cueto.  

Archived