Today's Draft: ESPN Prediction

For those of you who cant wait until 2:00 for the real thing, here is what ESPN is predicting for us:

4. Baltimore -- Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

Word today has the Orioles preferring Matusz. Crow is also a strong possibility here, and the Orioles were willing to pay over slot last year. If the Royals pass on Hosmer for some reason (e.g., Pittsburgh takes Posey and K.C. takes Alvarez), the Orioles would likely switch up and take Hosmer.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2008/insider/news/story?id=3426919

I dont know... I'm not that excited about adding another pitcher to the farm system. Not that it would be a bad pick, I was just hoping for Beckham (if he's available - indications are that he wont be) or Smoak (who should be available).

I guess we will see when the whole thing goes down.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take Smoak and forget about Texeira

As much as I want/wanted Texeira I don't see it happening.

I completely agree with this pick and hope he is the pick. The only other person I would like to see but don't want to have to wait for a few years is Tim Beckham.

I just think it would be really cool to have a 1B named "Smoak" (is it pronounced Smoke?). Since I don't have an intelligent opinion about any of them, I'll root for the guy who a) fills a need and b) has a cool name that I'm probably mispronouncing.

How's that for analysis? I can't believe Tony hasn't asked me to write an article analyzing the draft yet...:laughlol:

For some reason I can easily see Smoak hitting 40 bombs year in, year out while Matsuz struggles in the majors for us.

Just a gut feeling. Has nothing to do with the past or anything...

If he even makes it that far...

Why don't you guys like Matusz? 141 K's, 22 walks in 105 innings at San Diego doesn't sound too bad to me. We couild be replacing Bedard with him.

Nothing against Matusz. I think he's a stud.

It's just that we're in DESPERATE need of position players.

Why don't you guys like Matusz? 141 K's, 22 walks in 105 innings at San Diego doesn't sound too bad to me. We couild be replacing Bedard with him.

Matusz would definitely be a solid pick at 1:4 but some concerns might be:

1. "He pitches backwards." This is probably overemphasized but his secondary pitches are stronger than his fastball and he pitches off of them. That is unappealing to some people.

2. Some mechanical concerns. He doesn't use his legs too well, stiff front leg and he doesn't utilize them to maximize velocity. Could be some injury concern there, nothing really scary though.

3. He projects out to have a #2 ceiling. He could be an ace, but most scouts don't see him reaching that level. Even though he's polished and is a relatively sure thing for an amateur pitcher, many would rather take a middle of the order bat (Smoak, Alvarez, Hosmer) than a possible #2 pitcher.

These aren't all my opinions, but some that have been expressed. Stotle and Greg (among others) have done a great job breaking down Matusz and the other top candidates in the amateur draft section. You* should check it out!

*The royal you.

Archived