Today's Draft: ESPN Prediction

Nothing against Matusz. I think he's a stud.

It's just that we're in DESPERATE need of position players.

I think so too, but if the first 3 picks are hitters and the next two best available, most people think, are catchers we don't need, why not take a stud pitcher?

Didn't you say you weren't sure if Matusz would make the majors? I think he's a pretty big sure thing given his great domination at the college level.

Regarding the idea of Matusz pitching "backwards," I actually like that idea. Guys that can reach 90-93 nowadays are a dime a dozen. What really distinguishes them is how they use their offspeed stuff, if they can locate, if they're deceptive, etc.

Matusz's stats look a lot like David Price's did so I really wouldn't mind him with the 4th pick if the great hitters go 1-2-3 as expected.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing against Matusz. I think he's a stud.

It's just that we're in DESPERATE need of position players.

You take the best player, regardless of position. Guess what you can do if you have extra pitching. Trade it for proven bats, not these iffy drafted bats. Not that Matusz is a sure thing but these advanced college arms seem to come through a lot more often than the bats. And quicker, too.

You take the best player, regardless of position. Guess what you can do if you have extra pitching. Trade it for proven bats, not these iffy drafted bats. Not that Matusz is a sure thing but these advanced college arms seem to come through a lot more often than the bats. And quicker, too.

Interesting opinion, but Rany Jazayerli disagrees. There have been many studies indicating that college bats are the safest bets in the draft. Matusz is very polished indeed, but I'd say Smoak is a safer bet particularly when you take injury risk into account.

Why don't you guys like Matusz? 141 K's, 22 walks in 105 innings at San Diego doesn't sound too bad to me. We couild be replacing Bedard with him.

Personally speaking I don't think it's a dislike of Matuz as much as it is desperation to get some more wood in here. Weiters and Smoak could be the 3-4 combo we've been drooling for for years. Then there's numerous ghosts of 1st round pitchers from the past.Chris Smith,Mike Paradis,Beau Hale, Richard Stahl,Jay Powell and even Adam Loewen.

Interesting opinion, but Rany Jazayerli disagrees. There have been many studies indicating that college bats are the safest bets in the draft. Matusz is very polished indeed, but I'd say Smoak is a safer bet particularly when you take injury risk into account.

Well, I did say seems like. I'm not a big draft guy so I'll take your word for it but the bottom line is still best player available. This is too much of a crapshoot to worry about filling specific positions.

Well, I did say seems like. I'm not a big draft guy so I'll take your word for it but the bottom line is still best player available. This is too much of a crapshoot to worry about filling specific positions.

I agree 100 percent. The big question is whether you rate Smoak or Matusz higher.

For some reason I can easily see Smoak hitting 40 bombs year in, year out while Matsuz struggles in the majors for us.

Just a gut feeling. Has nothing to do with the past or anything...

The more I think about it, I agree. I think Smoak is going to be a heck of a player.

What I would optimally want is for the O's to draft Smoak and the Nationals to draft Yonder Alonzo, so we could have a little regional battle between the two best college 1B's. I think Smoak is going to be a better player, substantially.

I am going to be peeved if we pass on Smoak and he falls all the way to the Nats, which is a possibility.

Archived