Would you trade Manny to the Sox?

Bahama O's Fan

6 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Just asked a trusted friend who happens to be a Sox fan about what he thought they'd give up for Manny. He said Manny isn't a fit as they are high on Devers at 3B and he'll be there in September. And they already are happy with their SS. He did ask what the O's had for 8th inning kind of guys. 

I couldn't see a Ref Sox deal for Manny without Devers coming back.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Just asked a trusted friend who happens to be a Sox fan about what he thought they'd give up for Manny. He said Manny isn't a fit as they are high on Devers at 3B and he'll be there in September. And they already are happy with their SS. He did ask what the O's had for 8th inning kind of guys. 

I don't doubt that. But if I'm thinking about a pennant race and a long playoff run, I'd feel a lot better with a rented Manny than a rookie (or what they now have). They could keep Devers if they were willing to give up enough in starting pitching.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't doubt that. But if I'm thinking about a pennant race and a long playoff run, I'd feel a lot better with a rented Manny than a rookie (or what they now have). They could keep Devers if they were willing to give up enough in starting pitching.

I agree.  No way Dombrowski is leaning on a 20 year old prospect for a playoff run.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Or if they gave up someone off the ML roster like Bradley Jr. or Holt which I doubt they'd do.

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yes, and then sign him in 2019

I don't know why people aren't clamoring to trade him now and sign him in 2019

Have your cake and eat it too

Have Manny in 2019, plus 2-3 stud players brought in by trading him today... Instant re-build

that makes no sense.... we have the exclusivity of trying to negotiate an extension with him over the next 1.5 seasons....so why would they trade him and then re-sign him in an open bidding war with NYY, BOS, LAD, etc. 

I guess it's fun to see what we could get in return for Manny.... but in reality the FO is not going to trade him as they believe we are best contenders with Manny then without.

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would try to get the Astros involved too, sell them on Manny as the missing piece to winning a world series.  Infield of Altuve, Correa and Machado, yikes.  

They already have Bregman. 

Manny would be an upgrade but I don't see them trading 5.5 years of Bregman + for 1.5 of Manny. 

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would try to get the Astros involved too, sell them on Manny as the missing piece to winning a world series.  Infield of Altuve, Correa and Machado, yikes.  

What an utterly ridiculously talented infield that would be. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

That's what I tried to convince the guy of. Of course, he isn't the GM ;) Just a schmoe like me. 

Just for fun how about a blockbuster. 

Manny Machado and Zach Britton to Houston for SS/3B Alex Bregman, OF Derek Fisher, OF Teoscar Hernandez, RHP Forrest Whitley and 3B Colin Moran 

Houston would have to be going all in to do this. They also don't have much in terms of pitching prospects. But all these guys are MLB ready and blocked at the big leagues (outside of Whitley) for awhile.  Solves all our positional holes for the near future. Trade Brach, Castillo, Smith, and Kim for pitching lottery tickets and use the money off the books to find starting pitching. 

There are plenty of better / short term options for the Sox then to clean out their farm system for Manny (unless he agrees to a contract extension with them). Just off the top of my head...

1) Trade with Seattle for Valencia

2) Trade with the White Sox for Frazier

3) Trade with the Mets for Reyes

4 hours ago, Ripken said:

I'd trade anyone to any team for the right return.  

I would too. I'd love for the O's to have Manny for the next 10 years. But don't see Angelos agreeing to resign Manny for 250 million or 300 million.  He wouldn't be able to do that. IMO 

If we expand to the National League, how about the Cardinals as a potential trade partner? They seem to have soured Aledmys Diaz and he could be one of the return players (and our SS of the future). I'd prefer it if he was a bit younger (he's 26), but if they're not doing a complete rebuild it' probably fine. They might be interested in Britton and/or Brach too because their bullpen has been inconsistent. Other players to target in their system...

P Alex Reyes (#9 overall MLB prospect)

C Carson Kelly (32 overall MLB prospect)

P Luke Weaver (#56 overall MLB prospect)

SS Delvin Perez (#76 overall MLB prospect)

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=stl

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I would too. I'd love for the O's to have Manny for the next 10 years. But don't see Angelos agreeing to resign Manny for 250 million or 300 million.  He wouldn't be able to do that. IMO 

I think the moment they signed Davis for 23M a year was the moment it became obvious they wouldn't keep Manny.

Archived