Would you trade Manny to the Sox?

Bahama O's Fan

21 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Don't be the White Sox. The only thing you should be interested in is the best return possible, especially on a deal that only has 1.5 years left. If the Yankees dump a bunch of prospects but win a WS who cares? Dumping all those prospects probably just shut their window of contention a couple years earlier than it might have been otherwise. A time during which you're trying to compete.

I agree with you, but I think the Yankees model is somewhat immune to dumping prospects.  They have been mediocre the last few years, which is what counts as a re-build in Yankee land...and it still got them a wild card game in 2015. You have to go back to the '80s to see a a prolonged stretch of  futility. Even then, while they had a few stinkers during that stretch, most of the teams won 85 games or more.  In 1985 they won 97 games, finished two games out of the pennant, and went home.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How did you feel about trading Ken Holtzman, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson and Elrod Hendricks to the Yankees, in a year in which they won the pennant?

I didn't have any problem with it.  The O's were 8 out and there was no wild card.  The O's didn't lose a hall of famer to the Yankees.  There was not much attachment to Holtzamn.  The traded for him April and traded him in June.  Alexander and Grant were relievers.

Not even close to sending Manny to the Yankees or Red Sox,

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

No, I would not trade Manny to the Red Sox or Yankees.  If he ends up there through FA that is on him.  I want no parts of it.

Why? What if it is a good return for the O's? Yes I wish or would like for Manny to stay with the O's for his career. But I don't think that's what will happen. So why not get the best return even if it's dealing with one of the two devil teams in the ALEast? 

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why? What if it is a good return for the O's? Yes I wish or would like for Manny to stay with the O's for his career. But I don't think that's what will happen. So why not get the best return even if it's dealing with one of the two devil teams in the ALEast? 

2 hours ago, mrbig1 said:

Manny is still young. I don't think 40 homeruns are out of the question. You guys can't name one 3rd baseman worth a crap since Brooks Robinson. Cal is a SS so shut up. Manny is the real deal.

The O's have to compete in the AL East.   Manny goes to the Yankees he is there for the next 10 years.   Makes it harder for the O's to compete.  Go find the best deal outside the AL East.   Getting the best prospect is one thing.  But it does not good if you make the other guys sooo good you can't beat them.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's have to compete in the AL East.   Manny goes to the Yankees he is there for the next 10 years.   Makes it harder for the O's to compete.  Go find the best deal outside the AL East.   Getting the best prospect is one thing.  But it does not good if you make the other guys sooo good you can't beat them.

So you take a lesser prospect outside out of the AL East, he goes to that team and leaves after 2018 season to sign with the Yankees. Now he's still with the Yankees and you have a lesser prospect. How exactly was that a good idea?

400 Million

Miami's '305 Boys'

The rope hung from the tree branch in Albert Almora Jr.'s backyard, extending maybe 30 feet down to the ground. Engineered by Almora's father and designed to be incorporated into his son's workouts, that rope had seen Albert Jr. and his friend Manny Machado shimmy up and down it so many times.

"Oh man, that's a legendary rope," Machado, the Baltimore Orioles star, says, smiling. "We had a lot of fun with that rope."

Machado was 10 or 11. Almora was 8 or 9. The purpose of the rope was to help build forearm strength. The two buddies lived maybe a mile apart in the heart of Hialeah, a municipality here in greater Miami, and when they weren't playing baseball, they were talking about baseball, thinking about baseball or working out to make themselves better baseball players.

"I had to kind of use my feet to get up the rope, but Albert would go straight upper body and go all the way to the top," Machado says. "I was like, 'Hey, man, that's crazy. You're crazy. But it made him who he is today. His work ethic has been unbelievable since he was a kid because his father pushed him. Other than Yonder, I think the other guy who works as hard is Albert."

7 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

So you take a lesser prospect outside out of the AL East, he goes to that team and leaves after 2018 season to sign with the Yankees. Now he's still with the Yankees and you have a lesser prospect. How exactly was that a good idea?

There is no reason to get lesser prospects.  If he has to be traded, trade him to the Dodgers or some other team outside the AL East that will give just as good prospects.  If he goes to the Dodgers they will sign him long term and not let him go FA.

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is no reason to get lesser prospects.  If he has to be traded, trade him to the Dodgers or some other team outside the AL East that will give just as good prospects.  If he goes to the Dodgers they will sign him long term and not let him go FA.

Some team always offers the most attractive deal.    For purposes of this thread, you have to assume that the Yankees or Sox clearly have offered the best package.   Otherwise there's nothing to discuss.

The other part of your post assumes that whatever team trades for Manny will have the advantage in signing him as a free agent.     I'm not sure the evidence supports that.     Most of the major players who come to my mind who were traded a year or two before they were free agents did not stay with the team to which they were traded when they became free agents -- Mark Teixeira, Randy Johnson, CC Sabathia, Zach Greinke, David Price.    There are some players who did stay with the team to which they were traded --    Miguel Cabrera, Matt Holliday and Adrian Gonzalez.     But it seems to me that most of these guys choose to go on the market and take the best deal.   So I'm not sure I buy the "don't trade them there because they'll stay" argument.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some team always offers the most attractive deal.    For purposes of this thread, you have to assume that the Yankees or Sox clearly have offered the best package.   Otherwise there's nothing to discuss.

The other part of your post assumes that whatever team trades for Manny will have the advantage in signing him as a free agent.     I'm not sure the evidence supports that.     Most of the major players who come to my mind who were traded a year or two before they were free agents did not stay with the team to which they were traded when they became free agents -- Mark Teixeira, Randy Johnson, CC Sabathia, Zach Greinke, David Price.    There are some players who did stay with the team to which they were traded --    Miguel Cabrera, Matt Holliday and Adrian Gonzalez.     But it seems to me that most of these guys choose to go on the market and take the best deal.   So I'm not sure I buy the "don't trade them there because they'll stay" argument.

If  the Dodgers or the Cubs, who have good markets and good GM, traded for Manny either would have the money to sign him before he goes FA.   It would be in their best interest to do so.   And both teams have the players to win so that would entice Manny to stay.

I hope the O's extend Manny.  But if they are not going to be able to afford him they should be able to work a very good deal outside the AL EAST  where the will not have to compete with him for the next ten years.   And yes, he would re-sign with the Yanks or Red Sox if he was traded there.   Name some good young players that either of those two team wanted to keep that went elsewhere in FA  the last ten years.

I guess Cano is one.   But if Manny talked to Cano about his decision to leave the Yankees, from what I have read it sounds like Cano would tell him it was a mistake to leave.

Archived