Why not Sell and Buy?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Schoop has the arm for SS, but not the range. Also don't think a 29 year old former PED user (who relies on his speed) is who we should be targeting. 

I like the idea of getting Gordon with the idea of moving Schoop to 3B and Manny to short next year. But if we are going to trade guys off and rebuild then it makes little sense. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What about Dee Gordon?  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gordode01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

Kind of a salary dump for the Marlins with the impending sale of the franchise. 

He'd give us a long term answer at 2nd base. A lead off guy. Speed. LH bat. Former GG. His contract is reasonable. 

Schoop will be fine at SS. Gordon would be a spark plug for the offense. He'd basically just assume the salary spot the JJ is vacating. With Joseph and Mancini being cheap options at C and LF we can afford it. Plus we have a slew of OF prospects in AA for RF next year.  

Of course we need SP, but DD can multi task. I think Rifeala and Pellufo get it done. 

The Orioles are not adding salary...

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Schoop has the arm for SS, but not the range. Also don't think a 29 year old former PED user (who relies on his speed) is who we should be targeting. 

A thirty year old middle infielder for 4/40

I'm not completely opposed to the idea of Gordon if you don't give up much of anything and just eat the money (assuming the team would be willing to add payroll). I just don't see it happening because of the $10M/year and the three years (plus an option) beyond this season.

Overall, it would make sense. Gordon isn't a stellar OBP guy, but if he keeps his average up high enough, he gets on base enough and offers speed at the top. It adds a skill that's missing from this team for a run next year assuming the team wants to take one more chance before Manny and the rest of the team hit the open market. That all being said, I don't think it's the way to go. This team needs to break it down.

I'd really like to see the Orioles deal Brad Brach and explore what may be out there for Darren O'Day (admittedly with the contract, it's more about freeing money). I'd hold Britton unless someone pays his pre-injury value (see: Chapman and Miller hauls from last year). I'm not sure there's much else worth dealing right now unless someone is willing to give something for Castillo (and Sisco is ready to come up and share time with Joseph). I'd dangle Seth Smith for a team needing a left-handed bat, but I don't think he yields much.

2 hours ago, weams said:

The Orioles are not adding salary...

He's only owed about 3 million the rest of the season.  I tend to agree with you about not adding salary, but Gordon could be viewed as a long term option.  He'd just be making the same money basically as Hardy.  

There's 20 threads about selling and why we should sell.  I'm pointing out a guy that could make some sense.  

Of course we need SP.  Maybe a Gordon and Volquez deal.  Volquez is having some knee issues now but that should be temporary.  Both of these players could be sold as solutions to next year too.  I'm not saying I 100% with that, but that's how it could be justified.  

Wouldn't Gordon give us exactly what we've been lacking?  He's basically Dexter Fowler without the HR's.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He's only owed about 3 million the rest of the season.  I tend to agree with you about not adding salary, but Gordon could be viewed as a long term option.  He'd just be making the same money basically as Hardy.  

There's 20 threads about selling and why we should sell.  I'm pointing out a guy that could make some sense.  

Of course we need SP.  Maybe a Gordon and Volquez deal.  Volquez is having some knee issues now but that should be temporary.  Both of these players could be sold as solutions to next year too.  I'm not saying I 100% with that, but that's how it could be justified.  

Wouldn't Gordon give us exactly what we've been lacking?  He's basically Dexter Fowler without the HR's.  

Gordon is an aging speed player owed 43 million dollars. No. 

45 minutes ago, weams said:

Gordon is an aging speed player owed 43 million dollars. No. 

He's 29.  25 year old players aren't available too often.  Especially for salary dumps.  Ages 29-32 used to be considered your prime.  

Gordon is a GG too.  Everyone loves a guy like Mallex Smith.  Well he's not available as a salary dump.  Gordon is only 4.5 years older and does own a batting title.  I don't care or hold the PED thing against him.  We all know there are lots of guys using or have used.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He's 29.  25 year old players aren't available too often.  Especially for salary dumps.  Ages 29-32 used to be considered your prime.  

Gordon is a GG too.  Everyone loves a guy like Mallex Smith.  Well he's not available as a salary dump.  Gordon is only 4.5 years older and does own a batting title.  I don't care or hold the PED thing against him.  We all know there are lots of guys using or have used.  

Well, there we disagree. I don't target the PED losers.  If they fall, then that's another thing.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

The fact that Dee Gordon is in the discussion proves why the Orioles shouldn't be buying. They are forced to take on salary because they have so little to trade. 

We have plenty to trade. We just don't have to for Gordon. That's the appeal. 

It's not my money. lol. 

Realistically it has a 10% of happening.   Want to change the team?  Add some speed and a real leadoff guy?  Gordon is the best fit. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We have plenty to trade. We just don't have to for Gordon. That's the appeal. 

It's not my money. lol. 

Realistically it has a 10% of happening.   Want to change the team?  Add some speed and a real leadoff guy?  Gordon is the best fit. 

I understand the appeal of G

5 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I understand the appeal of G

Fingers got in the way. Meant to say I understand the appeal of Gordon. I wouldn't mind him but to do that would hurt the team. But then who am I kidding. Angelos won't allow a sell. Even though that'd be best. It's just hard to root against the O's. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd much rather start next season with Gordon than Hardy. I'd much rather start next year with Volquez than the guys we've added recently, but he's another guy who isn't scared to walk 8 in 4 innings. I'd love that addition though. His change up is a beautiful thing.

5 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

I'd much rather start next season with Gordon than Hardy. I'd much rather start next year with Volquez than the guys we've added recently, but he's another guy who isn't scared to walk 8 in 4 innings. I'd love that addition though. His change up is a beautiful thing.

I'm really hoping that Hardy isn't back unless it is in a coaching capacity.  Normally I don't see the harm in a minor league deal with an invite but I'd rather not in this case.

Archived