Why not Sell and Buy?

Bahama O's Fan

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I assume you meant you can't imagine a scenario where we are buyers (you said sellers).    I can, but it certainly involves having a hot July.    I can't say I'm optimistic about that, but there's a reason they play the games.   

Thanks, I made the correction.  

I have to say it:  This is the first time I can recall as an Orioles fan where I am rooting for losses.  I'm not ashamed to say it.  I will never root for losses to improve draft position in a single season, but i really feel the long term health/success of the franchise is on the line right now and being last place in the division and 5 games plus under .500 may be the only way to force the organization's hand. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Best case scenario is that we go 16-0 before July 31st.  

Yes, as a fan it would be so awesome to watch us trade Machado.  

You know how everyone has soured on Sisco?  You know he's ranked as the 29th best prospect by BA right?  So you'd be happy with trading Machado for two Chance Sisco's?  

No, Machado is worth more than two Sisco's and I seriously doubt the rest of baseball (GM's rather than BA) looks at Sisco as the 29th best prospect in baseball. Many educated people on this board don't even consider him to be a top 100 prospect. 

I'd take 2-3 top 100 prospects back for Machado plus a young major leaguer with some upside and team control years left.  Give me two SP and a SS or 3B.  That would be ideal. 

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think the O's payroll is at a point where they taking on salary is probably a non-starter.

Our payroll for 2017 and 2018 would go down in this scenario.  Parra + prospects < Britton and Brach in terms of salary.

I don't want Parra.  You include him to make it work financially for Colorado, but you make them pay for it in better prospects.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

No, Machado is worth more than two Sisco's and I seriously doubt the rest of baseball (GM's rather than BA) looks at Sisco as the 29th best prospect in baseball. Many educated people on this board don't even consider him to be a top 100 prospect. 

I'd take 2-3 top 100 prospects back for Machado plus a young major leaguer with some upside and team control years left.  Give me two SP and a SS or 3B.  That would be ideal. 

3 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Best case scenario has been the same for a bit and won't change before the deadline; Trade Givens, Britton, Brach, Jones, Castillo, and anyone else anyone wants other than Macho/Schoop/Gaus/Bundy & sign Machado for a decade.

That sounds right, but Jones ain't going anywhere.

I don't think we gain any clear long term plus value from trading Machado. He is too valuable to trade. The first half slump only exacerbated things. If someone wants to trade us three or four prospect Machado equivalents for him, sure. That ain't happening. 

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Best case scenario is that we go 16-0 before July 31st.  

Yes, as a fan it would be so awesome to watch us trade Machado.  

You know how everyone has soured on Sisco?  You know he's ranked as the 29th best prospect by BA right?  So you'd be happy with trading Machado for two Chance Sisco's?  

Worst case is that we actually are buyers.

What about Dee Gordon?  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gordode01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

Kind of a salary dump for the Marlins with the impending sale of the franchise. 

He'd give us a long term answer at 2nd base. A lead off guy. Speed. LH bat. Former GG. His contract is reasonable. 

Schoop will be fine at SS. Gordon would be a spark plug for the offense. He'd basically just assume the salary spot the JJ is vacating. With Joseph and Mancini being cheap options at C and LF we can afford it. Plus we have a slew of OF prospects in AA for RF next year.  

Of course we need SP, but DD can multi task. I think Rifeala and Pellufo get it done. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What about Dee Gordon?  

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gordode01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

Kind of a salary dump for the Marlins with the impending sale of the franchise. 

He'd give us a long term answer at 2nd base. A lead off guy. Speed. LH bat. Former GG. His contract is reasonable. 

Schoop will be fine at SS. Gordon would be a spark plug for the offense. He'd basically just assume the salary spot the JJ is vacating. With Joseph and Mancini being cheap options at C and LF we can afford it. Plus we have a slew of OF prospects in AA for RF next year.  

Of course we need SP, but DD can multi task. I think Rifeala and Pellufo get it done. 

Schoop has the arm for SS, but not the range. Also don't think a 29 year old former PED user (who relies on his speed) is who we should be targeting. 

Archived