Rosenthal: O's Preparing to Sell

pdiddy

18 minutes ago, vab said:

I want all SPs in this thing. If somebody has a position player prospect to trade, take him and flip him for an SP. They have to go all out in this thing. Also, nobody in the bullpen should be off limits including Givens. The greatest bullpen in the world is worthless when you're down 6-0 in the 3rd inning every night. 

SP prospects are too volatile.  You need some position playing prospects back as well for insurance.  

If we get five premium prospects back total in these trades for example, I think three SP, one SS, and one 3B would be ideal.  

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rosenthal is simply wrong that Angelos "has permitted a sell-off of veterans at the non-waiver deadline only once" since 1993.    We sold Sherrill in 2009 and Uehara in 2011.    Each was our closer and having a very good season at the time.    

33 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

SP prospects are too volatile.  You need some position playing prospects back as well for insurance.  

If we get five premium prospects back total in these trades for example, I think three SP, one SS, and one 3B would be ideal.  

How are you defining premium?  Top 100?  Top 200?  

18 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

How are you defining premium?  Top 100?  Top 200?  

I wasn't thinking of a strict definition, but how about we go with top 200 or maybe within an organization's top ten. 

Assuming Britton, Brach, and Castillo are traded I would be surprised if we got five top 100 guys back. Five within the top 200 sounds reasonable though with maybe two or three of those five falling within the top 100.

I named those just three players because I don't feel the other guys supposedly on the block (Smith, O'Day, maybe Trumbo) are bringing back any top 200 guys.  

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I wasn't thinking of a strict definition, but how about we go with top 200/within an organization's top ten. 

Assuming Britton, Brach, and Castillo are traded I would be surprised if we got five top 100 guys back. Five within the top 200 sounds reasonable though with maybe two or three of those five falling within the top 100.

I named those just three players because I don't feel the other guys supposedly on the block (Smith, O'Day, maybe Trumbo) are bringing back any top 200 guys.  

Yeah, that's fair and reasonable. People have different definitions of what premium means.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rosenthal is simply wrong that Angelos "has permitted a sell-off of veterans at the non-waiver deadline only once" since 1993.    We sold Sherrill in 2009 and Uehara in 2011.    Each was our closer and having a very good season at the time.    

There you go with those Facts again.

3 hours ago, pdiddy said:

Dangling Brach, Britton, and DoD. (added: Smith)

Maybe  Castillo.

No to Givens, Manny, and AJ.

I see no reason to refuse to listen to offers for anyone on the team. If we can land a guy who can play in the MLB now, a very high end prospect or two, along with another few solid prospects for Manny, why shouldn't we at least consider it? We have one more year to be sure that we have Manny in Baltimore. We aren't exactly looking like we'll be in contention next year either. So what good is it if we keep Manny and finish with 75 wins this year instead of 72 and 80 wins next year instead of 75? 

I'm not advocating a trade for Manny and I would prefer we keep him. BUT if the right offer comes for Manny, we'd be absolutely stupid not to listen.

Of course, that doesn't mean I think we will listen.

2 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I'm surprised they are making Schoop available but not Machado.

Angels could be interested in him. They've already checked in on Dee Gordon. Awful minor league depth in their system though, pretty close to as bad as the Orioles.

Why would Machado not be on the chopping block?  I get he's having a down year.. but frankly endeavor to trade him as if he's not.  I think the right deal could be made.  Honestly, get something for him.. I think deep down everyone understand that Boras is taking him to free agency regardless of what we might offer.  You'd think he has to believe that however outrageous an offer we made Machado, he could get a bigger market to give up more.  So why not shop him? 

Archived