Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

Just now, ISU94 said:

Manny Machado is one of the best players in baseball and the face of this franchise and has a chance to be a future HOFer. We are going to screw this up no matter what we do if Manny leaves. If there is any chance what so ever of signing him to a long term deal, I will be pissed if we trade him.

There is a bit of history of ownership and Oriole GMs doing things that aggravate us fans.   This will be another, unfortunately, I suspect. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tntoriole said:

There is a bit of history of ownership and Oriole GMs doing things that aggravate us fans.   This will be another, unfortunately, I suspect. 

Until Manny walks away and we are sitting here with nothing from it, then there is no reason to act as if the sky is falling. 

2 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Manny Machado is one of the best players in baseball and the face of this franchise and has a chance to be a future HOFer. We are going to screw this up no matter what we do if Manny leaves. If there is any chance what so ever of signing him to a long term deal, I will be pissed if we trade him.

The start to this season notwithstanding, I agree with all of this.  I wish there was an easy explanation to this season's struggles.

If I were the front office I'd want to see him working on his leadership as well.  If you're going to break the bank for a player he needs to be more than just a great positional player.  He needs to lead by example and lead in the clubhouse.

If they see this progressing (and hopefully another 60 points of batting average) during the remainder of the season, they should spend the money.

If not, not.  Then trade him at the winter meetings for a giant haul.  I like having a bigger market that could include current MLB players.

4 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Until Manny walks away and we are sitting here with nothing from it, then there is no reason to act as if the sky is falling. 

Oh the sky is not falling.  Just expressing an opinion that Manny should have been dealt last winter and that the Orioles management has had five years to figure this one out. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Oh the sky is not falling.  Just expressing an opinion that Manny should have been dealt last winter and that the Orioles management has had five years to figure this one out. 

I think the goal in the FO will be to extend Manny and Schoop this offseason. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Sorry, forgot he switched to Dan Lozano.   Still was that firm not the ones that did Pujols deal?  

He never switched.   He was always with Lozano.    Who is no better than Boras, and a sleazy guy.    

Just now, Frobby said:

He never switched.   He was always with Lozano.    Who is no better than Boras, and a sleazy guy.    

No, wasn't Manny with Boras when he signed as a draft pick and until 2011 when he (as well as Yonder Alonzo) signed on with Loranzo?  

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So, the team that was the winningest franchise in the AL for a 4 year stretch should have just dealt their face of the franchise player who is one of the best young players in the game? Come on...you don't trade him until all hope is lost that he is gone...and you definitely don't deal him when you are consistently in the playoff race with him being a main reason for it. No franchise is doing that.

Just now, tntoriole said:

No, wasn't Manny with Boras when he signed as a draft pick and until 2011 when he (as well as Yonder Alonzo) signed on with Loranzo?  

No.  Never with Boras.  The guy had a similar name, but not Scott Boras.

Just now, ISU94 said:

So, the team that was the winningest franchise in the AL for a 4 year stretch should have just dealt their face of the franchise player who is one of the best young players in the game? Come on...you don't trade him until all hope is lost that he is gone...and you definitely don't deal him when you are consistently in the playoff race with him being a main reason for it. No franchise is doing that.

That four year stretch ended last winter.  Did I say that we trade Manny before last winter?  No.   But, your scenario of holding on till all hope is gone in the face of a team that is NOT currently a contender, is the type of scenario that got the Phillies where the Phillies are today. 

Archived