Opposing Batters Too Comfortable

brianod

Brach threw a great fastball to Gomez up by two in the ninth with a runner on.  Gomez cocked his bat back six inches and swung so hard, he almost fell down.  I'm not advocating for throwing at anyone although the Yankees and RedSox do that all the time. But, opposing batters are so comfortable against us that they do that all the time.  Word has gotten around that we won't pitch inside, won't make them uncomfortable.  Those kind of swings should be rewarded with one high and tight. The response was not there and the next guy up gets to do the same thing. There is a difference between head hunting and making opposing batters uncomfortable and those batters are entirely too comfortable imho.

Hit batters don't mean squadoosh in this discussion. I'm just saying that opposing batters shouldn't be allowed to dig in and swing for the fences in that situation. Too many times I've seen opposing batters lean over the plate while our pitchers try to throw a perfect pitch on the outside corner. You have to come inside and make batters uncomfortable. I think that is self explanatory. If you don't back them off, you are letting the hitters dictate the at bat.  The pitcher needs to dictate the at bat, especially in that situation.

13 hours ago, brianod said:

Hit batters don't mean squadoosh in this discussion. I'm just saying that opposing batters shouldn't be allowed to dig in and swing for the fences in that situation. Too many times I've seen opposing batters lean over the plate while our pitchers try to throw a perfect pitch on the outside corner. You have to come inside and make batters uncomfortable. I think that is self explanatory. If you don't back them off, you are letting the hitters dictate the at bat.  The pitcher needs to dictate the at bat, especially in that situation.

If hit batters aren't an indication of throwing inside (O's have hit the 3rd most in the AL), then I don't know of any other objective way of determining whether O's pitchers pitch inside less than other teams.     

On 7/19/2017 at 11:18 AM, Frobby said:

If hit batters aren't an indication of throwing inside (O's have hit the 3rd most in the AL), then I don't know of any other objective way of determining whether O's pitchers pitch inside less than other teams.     

It's a subjective post and opinion. I've watched all year while opposing batters swing from the heels and our staff nibbles. I know the eyeball test is ridiculed on this board but that's all I got.

42 minutes ago, brianod said:

It's a subjective post and opinion. I've watched all year while opposing batters swing from the heels and our staff nibbles. I know the eyeball test is ridiculed on this board but that's all I got.

I'm not criticizing you, just saying it's an untestable observation.   

On 7/18/2017 at 8:53 PM, brianod said:

Trouble today's umpires won't allow our pitchers to do that. You throw one tight and inside the ump is liable to toss the pitcher. The BoSox and Yankees pitchers will get away with doing that. O's pitchers won't. 

Archived