Duquette says O's discussed long term deal with Schoop in offseason

TradeAngelos

10 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Roberts, Hardy and O'Day were all 30 plus and relatively cheap contracts. Schoop is 25 and a budding star. Completely different set of circumstances. 

Fine, but outside of Manny, who would you have done it with? 

Chen is really the only other guy (off the top of my head, in the last 5-10 years) that I think it would have made much sense to pre-empt free agency with.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, backwardsk said:

What extension figures do you approach Bundy and Mancini with this winter?

I am not about to extend Bundy, at least not for any terms he would agree to.

As for extensions, I'm looking at a few here.

Altuve 4/12.5

Goldschmidt 5/32

Rizzo 7/41

Marte 6/31

Yelich 7/49.57

While I don't think Mancini is that level player something in that general range would be a risk I'd consider.  More on the low end considering he still has two years at the league minimum in front of him.

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Fine, but outside of Manny, who would you have done it with? 

Chen is really the only other guy (off the top of my head, in the last 5-10 years) that I think it would have made much sense to pre-empt free agency with.

Schoop.  I would have much rather Davis had signed a long term deal two years earlier and for a lot less money.

Sometimes I think the Tampa model is best -- extend nobody unless you can do it cheaply in their first two seasons or so, trade players 1-2 years before FA for prospects, bring up young guys  and get cheap veterans to fill the holes.     Their methodology with a bit more money to spend might be very powerful.    

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Schoop.  I would have much rather Davis had signed a long term deal two years earlier and for a lot less money.

Schoop no doubt, but we really don't know what the discussions were like last offseason. Same with Davis. 2 years before he extended he had an awful season, chances are he would have wanted to rebuild his value anyway.

4 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Schoop no doubt, but we really don't know what the discussions were like last offseason. Same with Davis. 2 years before he extended he had an awful season, chances are he would have wanted to rebuild his value anyway.

Well yea, obviously we don't know what discussions took place or what terms were discussed.

The important thing is they didn't get it done.

I don't recall them ever extending a player before they reached arbitration.  (Which wouldn't have been the case even if they had signed Schoop last year)

Just now, Going Underground said:

If he said they have no chance that would be a scoop. Ed Encina said the usual pr spin at State of the Orioles. 

Yeah, I'm not sure what they expect DD to say. He's not wrong, if this teams pitching was better than obviously we'd be in a better spot. We would like to compete. He's just saying generic lines. He isn't going say to the media his move, especially with Angelos likely needed to sign off on any deals. If we get lowballed or Angelos doesn't sign off on a Britton/Brach trade than he'd look foolish acting like they are readily available.

He's really just using GM speak I'd imagine. You aren't going anywhere with Ubadlo and Miley in the rotation, and you aren't getitng an impact starter with Hays/Mountcastle headlining as much as we love those guys...at least no one that isn't an expiring starter in which there would be no way we'd be dumb enough to do that. Only way to acquire starters is by dealing our two good relievers in Britton/Brach. Guys like Brock Stewart and co. could come in and help.

3 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what they expect DD to say. He's not wrong, if this teams pitching was better than obviously we'd be in a better spot. We would like to compete. He's just saying generic lines. He isn't going say to the media his move, especially with Angelos likely needed to sign off on any deals. If we get lowballed or Angelos doesn't sign off on a Britton/Brach trade than he'd look foolish acting like they are readily available.

He's really just using GM speak I'd imagine. You aren't going anywhere with Ubadlo and Miley in the rotation, and you aren't getitng an impact starter with Hays/Mountcastle headlining as much as we love those guys...at least no one that isn't an expiring starter in which there would be no way we'd be dumb enough to do that. Only way to acquire starters is by dealing our two good relievers in Britton/Brach. Guys like Brock Stewart and co. could come in and help.

This is the bit that worries me.

or add to the pitching

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sometimes I think the Tampa model is best -- extend nobody unless you can do it cheaply in their first two seasons or so, trade players 1-2 years before FA for prospects, bring up young guys  and get cheap veterans to fill the holes.     Their methodology with a bit more money to spend might be very powerful.    

This has been my argument, we need to act like a low budget team sometimes.  I agree that it'd be powerful, we could afford to miss on some cheap early extensions much more easily than Tampa.  We could also take on salary in trades to get value more easily than Tampa.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well yea, obviously we don't know what discussions took place or what terms were discussed.

The important thing is they didn't get it done.

I don't recall them ever extending a player before they reached arbitration.  (Which wouldn't have been the case even if they had signed Schoop last year)

I don't recall you clamoring for a preemptive School extension.  Inf fact, IIRC, you were not that bullish on him, correct me if I am wrong but I believe you felt last year's Schoop was about as good as we would get.

I suspect if we had given him what it would have taken to lock him down for a few more years, you would have been critical of it.

So now you indict the Orioles because they don't do that sort of thing, specifically in a discussion of Schoop?

27 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Didn't he extend after the 2015 season?  Didn't he hit 53 home runs in 2013?

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't recall you clamoring for a preemptive School extension.  Inf fact, IIRC, you were not that bullish on him, correct me if I am wrong but I believe you felt last year's Schoop was about as good as we would get.

I suspect if we had given him what it would have taken to lock him down for a few more years, you would have been critical of it.

So now you indict the Orioles because they don't do that sort of thing, specifically in a discussion of Schoop?

Specifically, many here were not interested in gaining the extra year of control for him because..."you don't delay the clock on those types of players."

His OBP was suspect and he was not known to be a premier defender. 

Archived