Duquette says O's discussed long term deal with Schoop in offseason

TradeAngelos

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, SteveA said:

How do you decide on a ceiling in someone's rookie year?  Players can take a big jump once in the majors as we have seen guys do with power (numerous examples) and on base (Schoop).

Millar had a nice career. 

27 minutes ago, weams said:

Makes tons on TV. He's an 04 Champ. 

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

TV pays a lot better.

I'm sure it does.  I guess after grinding so long the TV lifestyle is pretty attractive.  See Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher.

Still, I'd have offered him the hitting coach job somewhere if I ran a team.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks do remember that he put up a 304/338/509 slash line in the first half in 2016 right?

I certainly remember it, but:

- .302/.350/.547 is considerably better than .304/.338/.509.

- Doing it over 97 games is better than doing it over 87 games.    By 97 games, Schoop was down to .294/.326/.512

- Schoop already has 21 homers and 69 RBI, compared to 25 and 82 all of last year.

- Schoop's walk rate is significantly up (20 BB now vs. 21 all of last year) and his rate of swinging at pitches outside the zone is noticeably down (35.2% this year compared to 43.0% last year).

Now, 65 games is plenty of time for him to fall out of his good habits and slump, and that may happen.    But I think it's fair to say he's made some significant strides this year.

Just now, Frobby said:

I certainly remember it, but:

- .302/.350/.547 is considerably better than .304/.338/.509.

- Doing it over 97 games is better than doing it over 87 games.    By 97 games, Schoop was down to .294/.326/.512

- Schoop already has 21 homers and 69 RBI, compared to 25 and 82 all of last year.

- Schoop's walk rate is significantly up (20 BB now vs. 21 all of last year) and his rate of swinging at pitches outside the zone is noticeably down (35.2% this year compared to 43.0% last year).

Now, 65 games is plenty of time for him to fall out of his good habits and slump, and that may happen.    But I think it's fair to say he's made some significant strides this year.

I'm just saying he did show similar ability over an extended period of time last season.

Archived