Duquette says O's discussed long term deal with Schoop in offseason

TradeAngelos

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't recall you clamoring for a preemptive School extension.  Inf fact, IIRC, you were not that bullish on him, correct me if I am wrong but I believe you felt last year's Schoop was about as good as we would get.

I suspect if we had given him what it would have taken to lock him down for a few more years, you would have been critical of it.

So now you indict the Orioles because they don't do that sort of thing, specifically in a discussion of Schoop?

If you dig back far enough you will most certainly see me in Schoop's camp.  Back before he debuted with the team even.

As for being bearish or bullish on him as a player, yes I think he has his flaws that doesn't mean he doesn't have value. 

I've always been in favor of looking to lock up guys super early in the process.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weams said:

Specifically, many here were not interested in gaining the extra year of control for him because..."you don't delay the clock on those types of players."

His OBP was suspect and he was not known to be a premier defender. 

That was me.

I can be a fan of a guy and still not think he will be worth arb 4 prices.

And signing an extension early makes team control a moot point.

I'm  not a big Mancini fan but if he wants to sign a team friendly contract I'd consider it.

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't recall you clamoring for a preemptive School extension.  Inf fact, IIRC, you were not that bullish on him, correct me if I am wrong but I believe you felt last year's Schoop was about as good as we would get.

I suspect if we had given him what it would have taken to lock him down for a few more years, you would have been critical of it.

So now you indict the Orioles because they don't do that sort of thing, specifically in a discussion of Schoop?

Sorry forgot to respond to this bit.

I don't like extending guys over the age of 30 to market or near market deals.

I have zero issues with signing position players in their early 20's to team friendly extensions.   I was in favor of both the Jones and Markakis extensions for example.

I'd love to be in favor of extending Bundy but I don't think the risk/reward is there in his case.

Edit- Whoops I posted three times in a row again, I hope no one thinks I'm being a bully.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was me.

I can be a fan of a guy and still not think he will be worth arb 4 prices.

And signing an extension early makes team control a moot point.

I'm  not a big Mancini fan but if he wants to sign a team friendly contract I'd consider it.

Not a big Mancini fan because of the lack of defense? (Best option not available and you don't like him as a corner OF I assume).  Really just wondering. 

3 minutes ago, murph said:

Not a big Mancini fan because of the lack of defense? (Best option not available and you don't like him as a corner OF I assume).  Really just wondering. 

While he has continually proved me wrong this season I'm still not sold he's got an adequate bat to cover his glove in the outfield. 

I'm a skeptic at heart and it tends to take a lot of evidence to convince me.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry forgot to respond to this bit.

I don't like extending guys over the age of 30 to market or near market deals.

I have zero issues with signing position players in their early 20's to team friendly extensions.   I was in favor of both the Jones and Markakis extensions for example.

I'd love to be in favor of extending Bundy but I don't think the risk/reward is there in his case.

Edit- Whoops I posted three times in a row again, I hope no one thinks I'm being a bully.

Not I. 

7 minutes ago, murph said:

His ceiling appears to be Kevin Millar. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

While he has continually proved me wrong this season I'm still not sold he's got an adequate bat to cover his glove in the outfield. 

I'm a skeptic at heart and it tends to take a lot of evidence to convince me.

I get that.  But he has hit everywhere.  I'm sold.  Sold on a .800+ ops for many years to come.   I would be all for an a pre-arb extension with him and agree with you that should happen more often.  

5 minutes ago, weams said:

His ceiling appears to be Kevin Millar. 

How do you decide on a ceiling in someone's rookie year?  Players can take a big jump once in the majors as we have seen guys do with power (numerous examples) and on base (Schoop).

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

How do you decide on a ceiling in someone's rookie year?  Players can take a big jump once in the majors as we have seen guys do with power (numerous examples) and on base (Schoop).

Do you think Schoop ends the season with a 335 OBP?  (at 351 right now)

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think Schoop ends the season with a 335 OBP?  (at 351 right now)

He's clearly got a WAY better approach at the plate this year.  I watch him take stuff on the outside corner that he absolutely without a doubt would have chased last year.

Archived