Adam Jones HOF chances?

NedFromYork

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Right now, he's in the Hall of Very Good.

Right now, Britton might be our closest we have to a Hall of Famer, and he has to do what he's been doing for a few more years. 

I believe Schoop might have a chance one day. 

I think Machado has the best shot for the HOF

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

He has no chance.  Zero. 

It's not zero.

I'd put it at maybe 5%.  He compares favorably to Andre Dawson at his age, but not nearly as good defensively.

Smart money is on "no".  He needs to have an unusually productive decade in his 30s to be in the conversation.

Also, it's really hard to get traction as a CF because people expect corner OF production.  Kenny Lofton and Jim Edmonds should be Hall of Fame CF and both were punted.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's not zero.

I'd put it at maybe 5%.  He compares favorably to Andre Dawson at his age, but not nearly as good defensively.

Smart money is on "no".  He needs to have an unusually productive decade in his 30s to be in the conversation.

Also, it's really hard to get traction as a CF because people expect corner OF production.  Kenny Lofton and Jim Edmonds should be Hall of Fame CF and both were punted.

Two very good comps. Edmonds was a little more powerful hitter than Adam. Lofton a little better defender than Adam. Little more speed. Adam is kind of right between the two.

I'll tell you why Adam will not last long enough to put up the numbers he needs for the HOF. Adam is starting to put up a good year this year. And he's white hot right now! 7 for his last 10 now with heroics. Why is he white hot now? Because he's healthy. He was healthy at the beginning of the year and was red hot. PILED UP his RISP numbers. Then I forget, fouled a ball off his foot, and something else, ran into a wall? He was down in May early June but now he seems to have NO injuries. He's doing that thing that he can do. Which is be amazing.

Which brings me to my point. Judging on the last 3 or 4 years, Adam always has some nagging injury that he plays thru. This year mostly he has been healthy. *knockwood* He needs this kind of year for the rest of his career to put up the numbers. Knock wood he's good getting to great this year but it won't continue. Not for years in a row, not the way Adam plays. Reference above "ran into a wall" THIS year already.

Adam is a HOF player when he's completely healthy. But he's never gonna be that.

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'll tell you why Adam will not last long enough to put up the numbers he needs for the HOF. Adam is starting to put up a good year this year. And he's white hot right now! PILED UP his RISP numbers. 7 for his last 10 now with heroics. Why is he white hot now? Because he's healthy. He was healthy at the beginning of the year and was red hot. Then I forget, fouled a ball off his foot, and something else, ran into a wall? He was down in May early June but now he seems to have NO injuries. He's doing that thing that he can do. Which is be amazing.

Which brings me to my point. Judging on the last 3 or 4 years, Adam always has some nagging injury that he plays thru. This year mostly he has been healthy. *knockwood* He needs this kind of year for the rest of his career to put up the numbers. Knock wood he's good getting to great this year but it won't continue. Not for years in a row, not the way Adam plays. Reference above "ran into a wall" THIS year already.

Adam is a HOF player when he's completely healthy. But he's never gonna be that.

That's something only father time can tell though

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

Two very good comps. Edmonds was a little more powerful hitter than Adam. Lofton a little better defender than Adam. Little more speed. Adam is kind of right between the two.

I'm sorry but he's not comparable to those 2. Jim Edmonds career fWAR 64.5, Kenny Lofton 62.4 and Adam Jones 27.8. Edmonds was a vastly better hitter and in an entire different galaxy defensively.Edmonds career wRC+ is 132, Jones' is 107. Lofton's value with the bat and Adam's is pretty similar, 109 wRC+ vs 107 wRC+ but on the basepath's Lofton had a huge advantage and he also had a huge advantage defensively.

Archived