The Wildcard Race

NCRaven

1 hour ago, MDK02 said:

Well that sealed a series loss. We can't win in day games and this continues a road trend of winning the first game then lose the remainder. We're looking at 3 games out after today. We need a miracle from Ubaldo and the offense today. 

Talk about a defeatist attitude!    I didn't take a win for granted yesterday, and I certainly don't take a loss for granted today.     Hopefully they pull this one out and go home with a "meh" .500 road trip.    

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a very frustrating team to watch.  It looked to me like Albers was throwing crap up there and we utterly failed to take advantage of it.  When Machado got a gift leadoff double and we failed to score him, I knew then and there that we would lose this game.  But the masochist in me made me watch til 12:30 or so when I finally turned off the TV.  

What an opportunity we had last night with everyone in front of us losing.  But not only did we fail to take advantage, we fell further back when teams right behind us (including Seattle) won.  Frustrating.

2 hours ago, MDK02 said:

Well that sealed a series loss. We can't win in day games and this continues a road trend of winning the first game then lose the remainder. We're looking at 3 games out after today. We need a miracle from Ubaldo and the offense today. 

So the Orioles already lost and the Angels already beat the Nationals?  What time did they play? 

Still waiting for that push to get us above .500. My gut says they'll get there by the end of August, maybe 2-3 games over. Then their WC chances will depend on putting together a strong September against the AL East and hoping none of the other hopefuls get red hot. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Still waiting for that push to get us above .500. My gut says they'll get there by the end of August, maybe 2-3 games over. Then their WC chances will depend on putting together a strong September against the AL East and hoping none of the other hopefuls get red hot. 

I just wanted to tread water on this road trip.  We don't play well on the road so I was not expecting this to be where we gained ground.   After the game tonight we play 16 of the next 19 at home.  That is the stretch that should help us make up some ground on the teams and hopefully over take them.

11 hours ago, MDK02 said:

Not proud of it but man, this team is so predictable. We did not get a miracle and this sealed our season up I believe. I know it's home but I expect to see this team continue to struggle after this road trip.

8 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I just wanted to tread water on this road trip.  We don't play well on the road so I was not expecting this to be where we gained ground.   After the game tonight we play 16 of the next 19 at home.  That is the stretch that should help us make up some ground on the teams and hopefully over take them.

There's still a lot of games to be played and with the mediocrity in the AL you never know. But it would take a complete turnaround from what this team has shown this year so far. No heart, no clutch, no talent.

10 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

There's still a lot of games to be played and with the mediocrity in the AL you never know. But it would take a complete turnaround from what this team has shown this year so far. No heart, no clutch, no talent.

Yeah none of those and still just 3 games out.  No clutch but are at the top in all those categories.  They definitely have the talent on offense as well.

10 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Hate saying this, but the only wildcard team that truly deserves to be in is the Yankees. They've had their ups and downs, but for the most part, been much more consistent than the teams that trail them.

The other teams are all mediocre at best. Rays are averaging like one run a game over the last few weeks. Seattle has lost their two best starting pitchers. Angels have a few guys that can hit but nothing special. Twins gave up their closer and have a bad pitching staff. Texas traded away Darvish and are somehow still hanging around. Royals have been up and down like a rollercoaster.Jjays look done at times but are back in it. A few of those teams were sellers. Been so crazy the sellers are still in the race. Buckle up for a strange run.

12 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah none of those and still just 3 games out.  No clutch but are at the top in all those categories.  They definitely have the talent on offense as well.

True that they are only 3 games out but they are in 8th  place in the WC standings trailing the Yankees, Angels, Royals, Twins, Mariners, Rangers and Rays.  That's a lot of climbing.

Archived