New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

Just now, weams said:

The Orioles decided that they were not selling an hour before and focused instead on the incremental gain of Beckham.

Incredibly stupid in my opinion and the owner should fire himself, Duquette , and also Showalter if he believe they legitimately have any real chance at anything this year. Just like last night the starting pitching hasn't been good all year except in short spurts. You wont have to wait long for the next Miley and Jiminez implosion. Bundy is nearly out of innings, and Tillman is a trainwreck right now.

Also the article sounds like Duquette called the Astros with time running out to give them a take it or leave it offer that they declined....Unless I'm reading it wrong

Other than the Marlins the Orioles are one of the few other laughing stock of the league. Their internal management is really piss poor.

Even if they didnt get offered enough to get a deal done fine. But getting permission to sell certain parts, why does that have to be a news story? And Roch reported it so we can blame Rosenthal. Making a deal and needing ownership approval (besides taking on salary), what in the hell does Angelos know about baseball talent??? Nothing, Zippo! Is he sitting at his desk researching scouting reports on MLB, Scouts etc?

I know I'm ranting but its embarrassing to be an Orioles fan...Just as I can imagine how Marlins fans feel. I suspect the Tigers will be competitive again very soon because they did the right thing.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Incredibly stupid in my opinion and the owner should fire himself, Duquette , and also Showalter if he believe they legitimately have any real chance at anything this year. Just like last night the starting pitching hasn't been good all year except in short spurts. You wont have to wait long for the next Miley and Jiminez implosion. Bundy is nearly out of innings, and Tillman is a trainwreck right now.

Also the article sounds like Duquette called the Astros with time running out to give them a take it or leave it offer that they declined....Unless I'm reading it wrong

Other than the Marlins the Orioles are one of the few other laughing stock of the league. Their internal management is really piss poor.

Even if they didnt get offered enough to get a deal done fine. But getting permission to sell certain parts, why does that have to be a news story? And Roch reported it so we can blame Rosenthal. Making a deal and needing ownership approval (besides taking on salary), what in the hell does Angelos know about baseball talent??? Nothing, Zippo! Is he sitting at his desk researching scouting reports on MLB, Scouts etc?

I know I'm ranting but its embarrassing to be an Orioles fan...Just as I can imagine how Marlins fans feel. I suspect the Tigers will be competitive again very soon because they did the right thing.

Angelos' doctor reviews the medicals. Angelos isn't a doctor. Whoever the Orioles use had an issue with the medicals.  

6 minutes ago, gtown said:

Buying/selling aside, the Beckham move makes some sense. Hardy is likely not back next year and Beckham was expendable to the Rays. Why not audition and see if he can fill that role in 2018?

Agreed ....Love Beckhams hustle ....He and Tejada have both missed balls right at them playing SS. I guess I'm not used to seeing poor defensive plays

7 minutes ago, gtown said:

Buying/selling aside, the Beckham move makes some sense. Hardy is likely not back next year and Beckham was expendable to the Rays. Why not audition and see if he can fill that role in 2018?

Yeah and if you are trading Britton what is the point if doesn't make the team better in 2018.  Some people would us trade are players just to trade them.  

Just now, cimota said:

Yeah and if you are trading Britton what is the point if doesn't make the team better in 2018.  Some people would us trade are players just to trade them.  

Yes ...You are either buying or selling. The Orioles were buying and that is that. The correct move was a rebuild and most here would have supported it. The Orioles have made the wrong decision again. Despite winning games during the regular season they've had little shot when they reach the playoffs.

As has been mentioned we dont develop starting pitchers (not 1 ace in 20 years despite wasting tons of high picks on pitchers). We do very little in the international market and our scouting department for players and advanced scouting of competitors are inadequate.

A new owner and a solid GM is needed to make the Orioles a world series champion again.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes ...You are either buying or selling. The Orioles were buying and that is that. The correct move was a rebuild and most here would have supported it. The Orioles have made the wrong decision again. Despite winning games during the regular season they've had little shot when they reach the playoffs.

As has been mentioned we dont develop starting pitchers (not 1 ace in 20 years despite wasting tons of high picks on pitchers). We do very little in the international market and our scouting department for players and advanced scouting of competitors are inadequate.

A new owner and a solid GM is needed to make the Orioles a world series champion again.

Unless you can identify a trade package with an appropriate haul, I'm not sure how you can be this upset.  Would you have rather we traded Britton and others just to say we did something?

Also, getting Beckham is a risk worth taking.  The move didn't make us "buyers" at the deadline.  We flipped a player stapled to the bench for a potential replacement for Hardy at SS.  How is that a bad thing?

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I don't get how you are say yes to what I am saying and then totally disagree with what I am saying in your post.  I am saying if they don't give us top prospects or someone Alex Bregman than there is no reason to trade Britton to the Astros as we have Britton on the roster for next year.  He is the best closer in baseball and make the team better in 2018.  

If you want to give up on this season then the goal would be for the team to better in 2018 because of it.  What the Astros were offering doesn't make that happen so lets try to compete in 2017.  

There is only one team in the American League that is more than 11 games over .500.  Other than the Astros no one is doing anything.  If the Red Sox hit a rough spot the division could be up for grabs by anyone.  

1 minute ago, Burg said:

Unless you can identify a trade package with an appropriate haul, I'm not sure how you can be this upset.  Would you have rather we traded Britton and others just to say we did something?

Also, getting Beckham is a risk worth taking.  The move didn't make us "buyers" at the deadline.  We flipped a player stapled to the bench for a potential replacement for Hardy at SS.  How is that a bad thing?

Really ....They bought ...traded procpects for Hellickson (a pending free agent) and a prospect for Beckham. I wont argue the deal, money, level of the prospects sent ...But they certainly bought.

Plus .... Even if they didnt trade Britton they could have dealt Brach, Smith, Castillo, Smith, O'Day etc etc .... they dealt no one except Kim who has been riding the pine and had little to no value.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really ....They bought ...traded procpects for Hellickson (a pending free agent) and a prospect for Beckham. I wont argue the deal, money, level of the prospects sent ...But they certainly bought.

Plus .... Even if they didnt trade Britton they could have dealt Brach, Smith, Castillo, Smith, O'Day etc etc .... they dealt no one except Kim who has been riding the pine and had little to no value.

Every team should be looking to buy when it's appropriate, regardless of whether they sell or not. Even if they moved Britton and Brach, I still would have found the Beckham deal a perfectly reasonable move.

Just now, VeveJones007 said:

Every team should be looking to buy when it's appropriate, regardless of whether they sell or not. Even if they moved Britton and Brach, I still would have found the Beckham deal a perfectly reasonable move.

If they went in to rebuild mode giving away prospects is stupid. Beckham and I dont hate the move is in his arb years, getting expensive, and not likely to be here when the Orioles have fixed the starting pitching. They need three starters this offseason and I can pretty well guarantee you they wont even making 1 significant signing of an starting pitcher. He will grab some scrap heap guys and pay mediocre starting pitcher money for a guy like Ulbaldo and be stuck with the mediocrity for a few years.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I understand the underlying sentiment of your point, but I'm not sure I agree. Britton will be a two month rental next year since he's a pending free agent. I imagine that will deter most teams from giving up their top prospect. The appeal of dealing him this year (or even after the season) is that he's still under control for another year. 

You do know that Chapman was a rental when the Yankees got their haul by trading him to the Cubs, right?

Just now, Il BuonO said:

You do know that Chapman was a rental when the Yankees got their haul by trading him to the Cubs, right?

Closer/stud late inning guy is one of those positions where not having long term control may even enhance the value. Every cocky GM thinks they can build a regular season bullpen for cheap, then flip their international signings for whomever happens to be on fire that particular year to carry them through the playoffs.

47 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If the Orioles stink this month, they will still likely be able to trade Smith, Castillo, O'Day and even HellIckson until August 31.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Actually, much of the reporting from many sources including Rosenthal and Heyman places much of the blame for the Britton non-trade on the Astros, not the Orioles.  You may be right about how this year turns out, but neither Hand nor Britton were moved and most teams seemed to avoid trading top prospects, the Sonny Gray trade being the primary exception.

Just think you're way over the top here.

Archived