New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

17 hours ago, gtown said:

Buying/selling aside, the Beckham move makes some sense. Hardy is likely not back next year and Beckham was expendable to the Rays. Why not audition and see if he can fill that role in 2018?

I think this is right.    The SS options this winter are uninspiring and we don't have any good SS candidates in the minors over the next few years (I don't consider Mountcastle a viable option defensively).     I expect Beckham to look more like the guy he's been for the last three years than the version we've seen the last four days, but that's a reasonable solution to a gaping problem.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per MASN Roch ( http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/08/because-you-asked---chamber-of-secrets.html )

Why didn’t the Orioles trade Zach Britton?
They didn’t have a strong desire to sell low. They didn’t get an offer that approached what the Yankees received last summer for Aroldis Chapman and Andrew Miller. We can debate whether it was a realistic goal, but that’s what they sought. They wanted impact prospects, not middle-of-the-road guys. It was about quality, not quantity. I’m told one offer from an American League contender was “an insult.” And two pitchers offered by the Astros had health issues that were red-flagged by an Orioles’ physician who reviewed the medicals. So, they held onto Britton and left themselves in a possible bind with his salary growing and his value on the market lowering.

Again, where's the "massive fail" on Duquette's part?

Doing nothing in terms of selling at the trade deadline was rationalized by Duquette's bet that this team will somehow make the playoffs this year.  The winning streak at home to the contrary, this team is not going to the playoffs in 2017,  and this decision  will hamper the inevitable rebuild of the organization in subsequent years. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Doing nothing in terms of selling at the trade deadline was rationalized by Duquette's bet that this team will somehow make the playoffs this year.  The winning streak at home to the contrary, this team is not going to the playoffs in 2017,  and this decision  will hamper the inevitable rebuild of the organization in subsequent years. 

How, what rebuilding players were offered that we rejected.  I agree that we should have been looking to rebuild, but it's kinda hard to get players if no one is really bidding on yours.

I never had a problem with not dealing Britton.  I don't like selling low and buying high.  We've done way too much of that over the last few years. 

It's hard for me to believe there was no interest in Brach.  Brach's value will never he higher going forward than it was at this year's deadline. One top 100 prospect another top 200 guy would have been enough for me.  A Justin Wilson return should have been attainable IMO. 

59 minutes ago, foxfield said:

How, what rebuilding players were offered that we rejected.  I agree that we should have been looking to rebuild, but it's kinda hard to get players if no one is really bidding on yours.

Yeah, and the only person that knows which trades were rejected  is Duquette..and he ain't talking except to say they were no good.  So if I decide I am not rebuilding, I probably can put out there to the media that the offers were "no good."  

21 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yeah, and the only person that knows which trades were rejected  is Duquette..and he ain't talking except to say they were no good.  So if I decide I am not rebuilding, I probably can put out there to the media that the offers were "no good."  

tinfoil-hat.jpg~c200

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Better to answer that the offers were "no good" than to say "I am out of here after next year, Buck no want no rebuild no how and I really, really did want that Toronto gig."    lol. 

Wouldn't be nice if baseball people had to speak the truth. It would make things so much more interesting. haha

Archived