New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

Well, it sounds like we simply didn't like the offers we received. If we're further back, maybe you can make one of those moves, but being still in the hunt, we had more leverage and I'm glad we didn't sell low. It'll be a beautiful thing if we fight our way back with the support dominant outings by both Brach and Britton. 

I don't see this as a fail by the O's. The Dodgers and Astros are the one's who will likely regret not giving up more. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. About what I expected. Some combination of Peter vetoing the deal, or DD using medicals as leverage to get a better deal from the Astros. Peter and DD played hardball, the Astros package wasn't good enough. The DD line about deals becoming deals when contingencies are removed is classic.

The article also showed that the Houston owner wasn't talking about Baltimore when he mentioned the deal that got mixed by ownership.  

Many here assumed that was the Os but the article ascribes that to the team with the "mystery reliever" not Britton.

Houstons players aren't happy with their own team. Sometimes you have to pay more if you really want something. In fact almost always...supply and demand being what it is.  That's not on Baltimore.

If the Os had concerns about a couple of players medicals I'm  sure Houston could have blown them away with a higher rated prospect and gotten it done.

The Cubs tried to play hardball and Baltimore didn't blink. Good for them. We'll see how similar Wilson and Britton perform the rest of the season.

Going dark is a standard negotiating ploy. The first person to talk usually loses.

This article and Heyman's tweet that top top talent wasn't offered makes me feel better not worse about the deadline.

Devils advocate...........

What if Dan was never planning to sell the entire time so he did everything he could to tie up the Astros and prevent them from making any additional moves to make them stronger by giving them the runaround?

Probably unlikely but maybe it was a masterstroke? 

I can't speak about what it was the Astros or Dodgers offered, but I'm completely comfortable with Dan letting the Cubs walk away from that deal if they really thought Wilson and Britton were "equal targets". The streets would be running red with blood if our haul for Britton was what the Tigers got for Wilson.

I don't know how far in the minority I am, but I don't particularly care that they didn't move some of our relief talent, particularly seeing some of the frankly underwhelming returns other premium players were getting this year. With how much money is being freed up this off-season, and how much interesting starting pitching talent is available this off-season, I'd like to see them take take a serious shot at it again next year. We could have chipped away at one of our greatest current strengths for future talent, and in a couple years you might be able to argue that doing so would have been the wiser move, but doing so would have compromised our chances for next year.

The ball will completely be in Dan Duquette's court this off-season and next season, though. You can't stand still like this at the trade deadline and not be pretty aggressive in 2018.

17 minutes ago, 99ct said:

Credit for breaking this piece before others. 

That said, taken in its entirety, I'm not really upset. 

The article says the Cubs considered Britton and Wilson to be equals - which tells us that the return would be low. 

The Astros had somewhere between 2 and 7 "untouchables." In other words, they weren't going all-in, either. Moreover, the medical concerns coild be legit, though I dont know their system well enough to speculate on the identities. 

As for the Dodgers, I'm not really seeing any suggestion that they had a top package ready, either. The article could be read to say that their Darvish package was first dangled for Britton, I guess. 

Lastly, the O's "went dark" ... "for a few hours" Presumably while evaluating the substitute prospects. 

This is a cool article for peeling back the veil, but not enough to get me outraged. I think the anti-DD narrative is being sold a bit too hard at the moment.

Ha, the Astros have 2 to 7 untouchable players, but they wanted to land Britton and a "mystery" reliever.  They are trying to save face now that they have an unhappy clubhouse. 

40 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

Devils advocate...........

What if Dan was never planning to sell the entire time so he did everything he could to tie up the Astros and prevent them from making any additional moves to make them stronger by giving them the runaround?

Probably unlikely but maybe it was a masterstroke? 

That occurred to me as well. In some ultra-positive thinking (dreaming) scenario where the O's advance in the Wild Card and eventually beat Houston due to our bullpen edge ... that would be so sweet. 

1 minute ago, NashLumber said:

That occurred to me as well. In some ultra-positive thinking (dreaming) scenario where the O's advance in the Wild Card and eventually beat Houston due to our bullpen edge ... that would be so sweet. 

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

I'd giggle like an ass if that happened. 

The classic last laugh. 

Archived