New details emerging about the massive fail at the Trade Deadline

Sir_Loin

To me, this was the most informative part of the piece.

The Astros made a late run at Darvish and in their estimation offered a stronger package than the Dodgers, sources said. The Rangers held a decidedly different opinion, viewing the Astros’ offers for Darvish, both early and late, as non-competitive – and Rangers ownership had given the front office permission to make the best baseball trade, even if it was with the cross-state and division rival Astros, sources said.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, weams said:

I did not see a massive fail in this article. Many people feel the Orioles strategy was a massive fail without this article. 

I agree. It basically comes down to whether you think Britton should have been shopped around and dealt for the best deal no matter what or for a special package only. 

We knew before this the Orioles (right or wrong) were committed to 2018. I assume if a high end and close to major league ready starting pitcher was in a deal--and in Peter's eyes was acceptable medically- Britton was gone. It doesn't sound like the Cubs offered much and neither the Dodgers. Dan must have like the Astros package enough to move him but Peter nixed it based on medicals. I would bet my mortgage it was over a pitcher. The Orioles already knew that the Astros had some players off limits and once Peter said no the Orioles were not moving forward. 

4 hours ago, weams said:

To me, this was the most informative part of the piece.

I agree. The Astros thought their package was better than that offered by the Dodgers. The Rangers describe the Astros package as noncompetitive. It sounds to me like the Astros grossly overvalue their prospects. If that's the case, it's hard to imagine what their package to the Orioles would have looked like. If they had 2-7 (a huge range) of top prospects off limits and were trying to put together three trades, it seems like that too would dilute the available Astros prospects to include in a deal for Britton. 

4 minutes ago, schittenden said:

I agree. The Astros thought their package was better than that offered by the Dodgers. The Rangers describe the Astros package as noncompetitive. It sounds to me like the Astros grossly overvalue their prospects. If that's the case, it's hard to imagine what their package to the Orioles would have looked like. If they had 2-7 (a huge range) of top prospects off limits and were trying to put together three trades, it seems like that too would dilute the available space prospects to include in a deal for Britton. 

I am floored that Crane was upset at another owner and not Angelos. 

I also wonder if the 3 proposals that Roch said they turned down were all from Houston over Britton. Did PA shoot down another deal over medicals from another team? At this point I haven't seen anything that would indicate that. 

6 hours ago, PHRESH said:

I'd like to know what Roll Tide thinks of this information and Sir_Loin's tease of it ?

As I said in my post ...most/all of this information was already reported somewhere. Rosenthal put it all together and the thread creator could have been tipped off that Ken was doing so. 

Nothing has changed about my opinion and nothing in this article was insider info. The poster didn't share anything anyway.

8 hours ago, Sir_Loin said:

The Orioles brass went "dark"... 

Bottom line, DD wasn't trading Britton unless we got a starter that could help us win next year.  Period.  We apparently didn't get that offer.  The 'going dark' piece could have been a negotiation tactic, or a true concern over medical concerns that were being checked out.  Basically, nothing to see here.  

This was always an iffy proposition.  Britton (and Brach + Givens) can help us win next year.  The bullpen is more or less set and should be very good.  The only way to break that up is for a greater need.... a starter that can help next year.

21 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

But what was offered was accepted by Dan ? 

The medicals stopped the Houston deal. Once they did and knowing the Astros were not parting with their top tier guys the deal was down the drain. 

Of course a conspiracy theorist would say that Dan deliberately picked players with a medical history he knew Angelos would not pass because he wanted Britton to stay all along.  

Archived