Austin Hays

weams

Looking at it now, they probably pulled him up because both Baltimore and Bowie are at home. 

If Bowie had opened up in Altoona, then he might not have been called up. But since he wasn't far away, they went that route, even with the impending weather issues so they could get him up and with the team before the long road trip.

1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

Let's hope to see this.   I think Buck was not ready for this move in the same way he was in 2012 when Machado took over at 3B.   RF has been a problem Defensively for awhile, looking forward to seeing this change. 

Machado was an uber prospect and we literally didn't have anyone who could play third base competently. That move was planned for months.

Hays is not an uber prospect, nor is he markedly better (yet) than what we've got. He'll get some hacks, but it's not like Buck doesn't know who this guy is or how he might deploy him.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

Machado was an uber prospect and we literally didn't have anyone who could play third base competently. That move was planned for months.

Hays is not an uber prospect, nor is he markedly better (yet) than what we've got. He'll get some hacks, but it's not like Buck doesn't know who this guy is or how he might deploy him.

Hays may not be an uber prospect, but he's pretty high up there in the hierarchy.   Maybe just a mega prospect.  

1 hour ago, Pat Kelly said:

And this is the issue, if he can't help the team win now or Buck doesn't see him as a primary option then no reason to add him to the 40-man, start his service time clock etc.  Having said that when Hayes does get in he will do something to help the team win - John Shelby in 1982  says hi - and then Buck won't be able to sit him.

He does not have to play everyday to help the team.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Not unless an injury occurred to an eligible player.

How did we get Mancini eligible last year? They put Pearce on the 60 day DL. If I'm reading the rules right the player has to be on the DL for at least 60 days. Unless Chris Lee was why Trey could make it. 

If I understand rule correctly only way Hays could make postseason is if Hardy would stay on the DL and he isn't.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It looks like Buck's planning to use Hays vs. LHP and use Rickard strictly off the bench:  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/09/hays-on-his-unbelievable-rise-to-the-majors-and-other-notes.html

I'm good with a Hays/Smith platoon on the other side of Mancini and Rickard on the bench taking Gentry's backup CF role.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I just hate that the O's are wasting a year of control of Hays for probably a few pinch hitting appearances.  I'll be surprised if he gets more than 20 ABs. 

They aren't wasting a year of control.  He's only going to get like 30 days of service.  172 days of service = 1 year. 

8 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

They aren't wasting a year of control.  He's only going to get like 30 days of service.  172 days of service = 1 year. 

The O's could have easily gained an extra year of control by keeping him down for 10 days at the beginning of next year.  Now they will have to keep him down for over a month (assuming he stay with the team until the end of the season).

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's could have easily gained an extra year of control by keeping him down for 10 days at the beginning of next year.  Now they will have to keep him down for over a month (assuming he stay with the team until the end of the season).

We'll see if they keep him down at all.