Rangers DFA Ponson

wickedwitch

http://www.star-telegram.com/284/story/687448.html

Ponson might have started digging his grave last week in St. Petersburg, Fla., during the final stop on a 10-game road trip. Multiple sources said that the right-hander drank too much the night of May 26 and had to be removed from the bar at the team hotel.The next day he surrendered 12 hits and five runs in a 7-3 loss to the Rays.

-----

Florida=his offseason home=where his drinking buddies are=him falling off the wagon? Not trying to make excuses, but it was the first thing I thought of.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ponson might have started digging his grave last week in St. Petersburg, Fla., during the final stop on a 10-game road trip. Multiple sources said that the right-hander drank too much the night of May 26 and had to be removed from the bar at the team hotel.The next day he surrendered 12 hits and five runs in a 7-3 loss to the Rays.

-----

Florida=his offseason home=where his drinking buddies are=him falling off the wagon? Not trying to make excuses, but it was the first thing I thought of.

I'd say this is more than likely the scenario. TEX I'm sure had a 1-strike you are on a short leash signing, written into the contract more than likely. Then the guy with the history of alcohol related incidents goes and gets tore up at the bar and has his worst outing of the season?

By this level, if you don't know not to go get HAMMERED the night before your start, you shouldn't be playing baseball for a living. This guy has 1, MAYBE 2 nights a week he really can not go out and party, he needs to take things seriously and really prepare for his job that he is being paid way too much money to do. If he can't handle that, and it starts crossing into performance, then they did exactly what is right and should have recycled his tubby butt.

Not to mention they have a young budding star there that is trying to work through his own demons, and that is not the best guy to have around. Guys like Bonds, Gooden, Strawberry, they all had issues and caused problems in the clubhouse, but they were superstars so they got away with more. This is a guy that is BARELY getting ML tryouts, and has no pull to be bad-mouthing a team, insulting team mates, or getting loaded the night before a start.

-----

Shocking, Sidney getting sauced and then hammered the next day. He probably has thrown away his last chance. (Again) A real shame, he did have talent.

:deadhorse: to follow...

Sorry, kids, but there are two idiots in this villiage. Knowing Ponson's history, here's what I would have done, if I was the Rangers:

Had Ponson's AA sponsor rooming with him, especially in Florida.

Not jerked him around with scheduling.

From what little we actually know, Sidney apparently fell off the wagon before the Tampa Bay start. No excuses, that's a bad thing. Everything that follows looks to me like the Rangers saw Ponson wobbling, and decided to push him overboard. If a guy's having problems is it really in his best interest for you to start messing with his pitching schedule, knowing how freaky pitchers are about routine?

I can almost see the Rangers meeting now:

"Well, the drunk is old and doesn't fit into our future plans...and eventually the Orioles money will run out. The ex-junike is hitting the crap out of the ball and is young and cheap. Let's bum-rush the drunk and use the junkie as an excuse!"

From what little we actually know, Sidney apparently fell off the wagon before the Tampa Bay start. No excuses, that's a bad thing. Everything that follows looks to me like the Rangers saw Ponson wobbling, and decided to push him overboard. If a guy's having problems is it really in his best interest for you to start messing with his pitching schedule, knowing how freaky pitchers are about routine?

They're a baseball team, not a halfway house.

It's their job to look after their best interest, not Sidney's.

It's not like, "OMG, what a surprise! This never happened before! So, how can we help?"

I don't know happened, but if he did fall off the wagon and presented a problem, time for them to show him the door so everybody can concentrate on baseball.

They're a baseball team, not a halfway house.

It's their job to look after their best interest, not Sidney's.

It's not like, "OMG, what a surprise! This never happened before! So, how can we help?"

I don't know happened, but if he did fall off the wagon and presented a problem, time for them to show him the door so everybody can concentrate on baseball.

Sounds to me like they are doing for Josh Hamilton what you say they shouldn't do.

Sounds to me like they are doing for Josh Hamilton what you say they shouldn't do.

Josh Hamilton hasn't caused them any problems.

I never said guys shouldn't get a chance to prove their previous problems are in the past. I just said that I don't think a baseball team should let themselves get dragged down when a guy demonstrates that he's bringing his same old problems with him. Fire the guy. If the guy wants help, he can get it.

In other words, apples and oranges.

Wow. You know the Rangers would have put up with some crap to keep him since he was doing good, but what he did to get kicked off the team must have been really bad. What a total moron.

Well for one the Rangers started him on 3 days rest. Supposedly, after this error-filled start he went off in the club house cursing the management and may or may-not have gotten into a fight with Michael Young. That may or may not have been why he broke his hand.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/youngs-finger-is-broken.html

Archived