Projected Orioles Opening Day Payroll 2018

AZRon

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You look at Davis and Trumbo and seem to project that they can do better than last year.   i don't know if that is true. Especially if we are talking about the best scenario.

We start with the history and attitude from O's management and probably  ownership that they will not spend big on pitching.  No five year and probably no 4 year contracts.  No getting into bidding war for top pitchers.

With that context  Dan has to thread a needle to try to get the best pitching the team can afford.   There is a small chance he can get any of the three guys I have mentioned.    We will know pretty soon what the O's will do.   Then it may be time to be negative on the season if Dan can't thread that needle.  But I hold out hope for now.

I'm not projecting that Davis and Trumbo can do better than last year, I am stating that if they don't do better we are sunk. We need more offense than we had last year. If they don't bounce back, we are unlikely to get it. In that case it won't matter which pitchers we sign.

The needle you hope Duquette threads is a losing proposition. I hope he doesn't do it. We will not contend with those pitchers.

Just because there are things the Orioles won't do in an effort to win doesn't mean that those aren't the things that they should do. This offseason, what they should do is sign a pitcher or two outside their comfort zone. 

I consider my attitude realistic, not negative.  You hold out hope that Duquette will thread a needle and sign some crappy pitchers, and that somehow that might enable us to compete. What you call "hope" I consider a pipe dream.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

My baloney has a first name, Its Oscar.  My baloney has a second name its Meyer.  

Peter has been part on the O's fan consciousness since 1993.   When I say Peter most reads know actually who I am talking about .  It differentiates him from John or Lou who are also active with the O's.   I have never met the man.   Sorry you feel it is creepy but I doubt if it changes the way I refer to him.   

You're just full of baloney, aren't you?

11 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Signings like that are exactly how they eased into 14 years of losing. Sometimes they have to make a tough short term decision in order for the long term. I don't think they will...but it is my hope.

It depends are where the O's are headed.   if the O's are headed to a rotation in 2019 the includes Bundy, Gausman, Harvey and maybe Akin then  it may be the best young rotation the O's have had in years.   The fact the O's need a bridge in 2018 is reality.     Tillman is a one year contract with hopefully and low base salary.   if Vargas and Cashner  sign contracts with no ...no trade clause then the O's will have more flexibility in 2019 if they are signed.

54 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Even if it does happen, we'll still be in the gutter if Davis and Trumbo don't return to form. You keep ignoring the fact that our offense also took a steep downturn last year. And so did our defense. That team was bad in so many ways, adding three Hail Mary starter is not going to fix anything. 

If Angelos wants to win, it's time to buy some good pitching. Get in the game or go home. 

Our offense took a downturn, but I wouldn’t call it “steep” — one run less than the year before, and a slightly bigger drop relative to league average, but pretty modest in the scheme of things.    Of course, it was a roller coaster season offensively with a spectacular August followed by an incredibly dismal September.    The music stopped when the team was in a trough.   

As to the defense, it was about 5 runs worse in 2017, due to a downturn in the infield.   Outfield defense was actually better in 2017.

I agree these things need to turn around.   But it’s not outside the realm of possibility that they will.   As an analyst or decision maker, I wouldn’t count on it, but as a fan, it’s not unrealistic to hope for it.   

37 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm not projecting that Davis and Trumbo can do better than last year, I am stating that if they don't do better we are sunk. We need more offense than we had last year. If they don't bounce back, we are unlikely to get it. In that case it won't matter which pitchers we sign.

The needle you hope Duquette threads is a losing proposition. I hope he doesn't do it. We will not contend with those pitchers.

Just because there are things the Orioles won't do in an effort to win doesn't mean that those aren't the things that they should do. This offseason, what they should do is sign a pitcher or two outside their comfort zone. 

I consider my attitude realistic, not negative.  You hold out hope that Duquette will thread a needle and sign some crappy pitchers, and that somehow that might enable us to compete. What you call "hope" I consider a pipe dream.

Your thoughts that the O' should sign top starting pitching is a good one.   However, watching the O's for years I don't see it as unlikely or maybe even impossible.  So I choose to stay in the world of reality.

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Your thoughts that the O' should sign top starting pitching is a good one.   However, watching the O's for years I don't see it as unlikely or maybe even impossible.  So I choose to stay in the world of owner stupidity

Fixed that for you.   Or, more accurately, substituted a synonym for “reality.”

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fixed that for you.   Or, more accurately, substituted a synonym for “reality.”

But there are times when Peter have not been stupid.   MacPhail wanted Eric Wedge as manager.  Peter picked Buck.   Nobody wanted Dan Duquette.   Peter picked him.   6 years later.   The O's have gone from a losing team to a winning team with 3 playoff appearances.   Not bad,

Peter has made a lot of bad decisions over his time as owner but Buck and Dan have  made him look smart at times.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Your thoughts that the O' should sign top starting pitching is a good one.   However, watching the O's for years I don't see it as unlikely or maybe even impossible.  So I choose to stay in the world of reality.

You consistently conflate two very different thoughts;

1. What a fan thinks the Orioles should do
  2. What you think the Orioles will do

Feel free to restrict your opinions to what you believe the Orioles are likely to do. Seems like the waste of a perfectly good opinion to me.

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

You consistently conflate two very different thoughts;

1. What a fan thinks the Orioles should do
  2. What you think the Orioles will do

Feel free to restrict your opinions to what you believe the Orioles are likely to do. Seems like the waste of a perfectly good opinion to me.

Feel free to post what you want.  Because I will post what I want.

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But there are times when Peter have not been stupid.   MacPhail wanted Eric Wedge as manager.  Peter picked Buck.   Nobody wanted Dan Duquette.   Peter picked him.   6 years later.   The O's have gone from a losing team to a winning team with 3 playoff appearances.   Not bad,

Peter has made a lot of bad decisions over his time as owner but Buck and Dan have  made him look smart at times.

Overall, in 23 years of ownership, he’s been an idiot.   That’s not to say every single thing he did was wrong.    He’s done far more wrong than right IMO.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don’t think it was so much Angelos picking him as it was there were no other options. DD was hired because no one else wanted the job.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:49 AM, wildcard said:

The Os offered those jobs to others first and were turned down. Peter got lucky that the second or maybe even third choices turned out so well. 

Archived