Projected Orioles Opening Day Payroll 2018

AZRon

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Cot's has us at $148.6M right now.  the OP here has us at $153.8M.    Interesting to see the variations......I tend to trust the higher numbers.    I think most fans are satisfied with the $150M range..........even if we were higher last year.

The one listed on the opening post is the one for the salary cap where the one in Cot's is the actual amount paid each year but the deferals are not listed.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last projection proved true  The Opening Day Payroll (ODP) is $154.45M.  Last year's ODP was $164.3M.  That's a reduction of  6% from last year and It's the first such instance under the Duquette regime since his 1st year, 2011 - 2012, with the O's.  I'll update the AL East Payrolls chart when the final numbers are available.

2018 Opening Day Payroll Chart

2018 $ Left to Spend Chart

AL East Payrolls Chart

9 minutes ago, AZRon said:

My last projection proved true  The Opening Day Payroll (ODP) is $154.45M.  Last year's ODP was $164.3M.  That's a reduction of  6% from last year and It's the first such instance under the Duquette regime since his 1st year, 2011 - 2012, with the O's.  I'll update the AL East Payrolls chart when the final numbers are available.

2018 Opening Day Payroll Chart

2018 $ Left to Spend Chart

AL East Payrolls Chart

Even though it’s a reduction, there’s a lot of deferred comp and incentive bonuses compared to last year, that don’t show up in the OD calculations.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-opening-day-payrolls-down-from-2017/

Average payroll is down, and the O’s rank 13th in MLB, per fangraphs’ list.

I updated the below linked chart using the information from the Baseball Prospectus website: https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/index.php?cyear=2018&team=&pos=

AL East Payrolls Chart

Note that the A.L. East  total payroll was unchanged from last year.

The Yankees pared their payroll by $30M, 15%; and that's after dropping it $32M, 14%, the previous year.

The BoSox increased their payroll by $36M, 18%, after staying even with their 2016 payroll last year. This year's Red Sox payroll exceeds that of the Yankees by $67M.

The amazing Rays squeezed out a 2018 increase in ODP of 8.4%, $6M -- they are outspent by the O's, the next lowest ODP in the division, by over 100%.

Archived