Jump to content

Dave Martinez - Rookie manager of the Nationals


wildcard

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Nationals Ownership and Management did not learn a thing from the Matt Williams experiment.   Williams had no management experience and neither does Martinez.  But they are expecteing to win a World Series.    :bangwall:

So, because one guy with no managerial experience failed, they should never try another one?  Williams had only three years of coaching experience, none as bench coach.   Martinez has ten years of coaching experience, all as a bench coach under one of the top managers in the game.   They have different personalities.    I have no idea if Martinez will succeed or not, but every good manager has to start somewhere, and the fact that Williams didn’t work out is no reason not to give Martinez his shot.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

o

 

I actually heard this on Friday evening, from NY Sports Radio (WFAN) when I was driving in my car.

 

Wade Boggs' Twitter account announced a congratulations to Martinez, but they (WFAN) had no confirmation ........ other than the congratulatory post from Boggs' Twitter account.

 

 

 

o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So, because one guy with no managerial experience failed, they should never try another one?  Williams had only three years of coaching experience, none as bench coach.   Martinez has ten years of coaching experience, all as a bench coach under one of the top managers in the game.   They have different personalities.    I have no idea if Martinez will succeed or not, but every good manager has to start somewhere, and the fact that Williams didn’t work out is no reason not to give Martinez his shot.   

The Nationals are built to win now.  Scherzer and Zimmerman are 33.  Harper is due to be a free agent after the 2018 season and it is very unclear if the Nationals will re-sign him as a free agent.   So the Nationals want to win the world series in 2018.   Who is the last rookie manager, one who has never managed in the minors or the majors, to win the WS in his first year.   Its been a while.   The answer Bob Brenly with he 2001 Diamondbacks.  The team Buck built.     That was 16 years ago.  So the odds area against Dave Martinez.   

If the National had at least had an experienced manager than their odds may have been higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Nationals are built to win now.  Scherzer and Zimmerman are 33.  Harper is due to be a free agent after the 2018 season and it is very unclear if the Nationals will re-sign him as a free agent.   So the Nationals want to win the world series in 2018.   Who is the last rookie manager, one who has never managed in the minors or the majors, to win the WS in his first year.   Its been a while.   The answer Bob Brenly with he 2001 Diamondbacks.  The team Buck built.     That was 16 years ago.  So the odds area against Dave Martinez.   

If the National had at least had an experienced manager than their odds may have been higher.

The odds of any team winning are 1-30 so 1-16 doesn't look that bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The odds of any team winning are 1-30 so 1-16 doesn't look that bad.

That's not true.   Not every team has a good chance to win the World Series every year.

And when the Nationals canned Dusty Baker I am sure they were trying to improve their chances on winning the WS in 2018.  I am not sure they did that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That's not true.   Not every team has a good chance to win the World Series every year.

And when the Nationals canned Dusty Baker I am sure they were trying to improve their chances on winning the WS in 2018.  I am not sure they did that.

Of course I was being overly simplistic.

That was intentional.  I was trying to show how little significance your stat had.

How many "potential contenders" in the last 16 years have had inexperienced Managers?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course I was being overly simplistic.

That was intentional.  I was trying to show how little significance your stat had.

How many "potential contenders" in the last 16 years have had inexperienced Managers?

 

In any given year, how many first-time managers are there, period?   Not many.    There’s no telling whether a more experienced manager will take a team to the World Series, as Davey Johnson and Dusty Baker both proved with the Nats.    I’m glad Martinez is getting his shot.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way, there was only one manager in 2017 who came into the season having never managed before — Torey Lovullo, who took the DBacks from 69 to 93 wins.    Too bad Arizona didn’t hire someone more experienced — they’d probably have won the World Series this year.  :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...