First Move

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan’s first move will be to sign a veteran outfielder with low OBP/BA who strikes out a lot, because we don’t have enough of those.

If I were him my first move would be to change strategy from retooling to full-on rebuild, including coming up with a viable strategy for getting appropriate (even gratuitous) returns for a trade of Manny.

26 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

I agree with Wildcard that the O's should extend Buck--if he wants to continue managing.  A lame duck GM and Manager does not send a positive message for this off-season.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't an understanding, if not a signed agreement all ready in place.

DD's first move will be resigning Gentry.  I could also see him resigning Tillman early in the offseason.

His first move should be improving the starting rotation, which I don't see Tillman doing.  I would love a first move of trading Trumbo + cash for anything (probably not even possible unless the O's are paying 80+% of his contract).

The first move needs to be deciding the fate of Duquette. He's got one year left and I would not thrilled about what a guy who might not have to face the  music afterwards might do the future of the team in an attempt to "go for it".  After that, if it's me I move Machado. Sure keeping Britton and Machado might by some small miracle get you to the playoffs in 2018, but what then? I'd rather rebuild for 2019.

Trade Machado to St.Louis for Carson Kelly,Luke Weaver and Austin Gomber

Go into 2018 with Carson as your starting catcher, Weaver in the rotation and Gomber nearly ready himself. By the way, though Gomber's overall numbers aren't great, he  pitched very well from July and on.  2.64ERA 75IP 49H 19BB 72K.

4 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

The first move needs to be deciding the fate of Duquette. He's got one year left and I would not thrilled about what a guy who might not have to face the  music afterwards might do the future of the team in an attempt to "go for it".  After that, if it's me I move Machado. Sure keeping Britton and Machado might by some small miracle get you to the playoffs in 2018, but what then? I'd rather rebuild for 2019.

Trade Machado to St.Louis for Carson Kelly,Luke Weaver and Austin Gomber

Go into 2018 with Carson as your starting catcher, Weaver in the rotation and Gomber nearly ready himself. By the way, though Gomber's overall numbers aren't great, he  pitched very well from July and on.  2.64ERA 75IP 49H 19BB 72K.

I go along with your idea. But DD has already screwed up the future of the team.  The go for it in 2018 is a silly idea. The Astros lost over 100 games four years ago. But they have good ownership and an intelligent GM. Four years later the Stros are WS Champions. I sure wish that for the O's fans. Oh well hell I can dream I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

One thing I DO NOT want to see is signing Yu Darvish.  The ace he is not.

I don't think that is something you have to worry about.

However, are you judging your statement based on two world series appearances, because if so, that is a pretty bad way to assess a player.

Archived