Gary Thorne must go.

bigbird

H said last night he's a Celtics fan...and now I learn he's from Maine...he's a big time Red Sox fan, you can tell during Red Sox/Oriole Broadcasts. Inside he''s rooting like heck for the Sux and it does come out with the way he talks more about the Red Sox than the O's.

Get rid of this guy, we don't need a Red Sox fan announcing for us.

The team don't need no Yankee's either (like Rick Dempsey and Scott McGregor)...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can not spend an entire season calling for a team and not want them to win the games you're calling. Even if he supports the Red Sox, he has a fine voice (better than all I've listened to in the past few years) and I enjoy watching the games more when he is working. I would usually agree and prefer someone who is not a Sox fan, but he's been too much of an improvement in my opinion.

Everyone will have their opinion about the broadcasters...I can not stand Jim Hunter calling the games.

I'm just grateful we no longer have the "Track...wall...see, you, later" guy from the early 2000s.

You can not spend an entire season calling for a team and not want them to win the games you're calling. Even if he supports the Red Sox, he has a fine voice (better than all I've listened to in the past few years) and I enjoy watching the games more when he is working. I would usually agree and prefer someone who is not a Sox fan, but he's been too much of an improvement in my opinion.

Everyone will have their opinion about the broadcasters...I can not stand Jim Hunter calling the games.

I'm just grateful we no longer have the "Track...wall...see, you, later" guy from the early 2000s.

You speak of the used car salesman known as Michael Reghi...who came from Cleveland...he must have been pulling for the Indians when we played them all those years. Damn his enthusiasm (I'll never take that away from him, just thought he sucked), he wasn't a real O's announcer!

I know Thorne is quirky, but by god, I don't think people realize what we have.

My God, some of you are ridiculous. If a person grows up eleswhere and is naturally a fan of the team in his region, he is barred from working in another market? Seriously? Thorne seems to have a genuine passion for the game and gets excited over great plays from whomever makes them. He does seem to get more excited for great plays by the O's if that makes everyone happy. Sure he gets pitch location wrong a lot (I'm guessing he doesn't use the monitor) but overall he does a great job and is not a huge homer like someone else we know.

My God, some of you are ridiculous. If a person grows up eleswhere and is naturally a fan of the team in his region, he is barred from working in another market? Seriously? Thorne seems to have a genuine passion for the game and gets excited over great plays from whomever makes them. He does seem to get more excited for great plays by the O's if that makes everyone happy. Sure he gets pitch location wrong a lot (I'm guessing he doesn't use the monitor) but overall he does a great job and is not a huge homer like someone else we know.

:clap3:

Pretty much exactly how I feel. And like I pointed out he went absolutely apecrap over Scott's homer last night.

I can't stand Thorn ever since the bloody sock incident a year or so ago. The foul ball over the bag incident a few weeks ago is a close second in buffoonery. Get rid of this Red Sox homer. Bring back Jon Miller! He was the best.

I can't stand Thorn ever since the bloody sock incident a year or so ago. The foul ball over the bag incident a few weeks ago is a close second in buffoonery. Get rid of this Red Sox homer. Bring back Jon Miller! He was the best.

Wait.

Hold on.

Do you realize you call him a Red Sox homer, yet you just cited an incident where the man publically called out Curt Schilling as a fraud during one of the biggest moments in Red Sox history?

Shenanigans. If he were such a Red Sox homer, he would never have shared that story about hearing the sock was fake.

Wait.

Hold on.

Do you realize you call him a Red Sox homer, yet you just cited an incident where the man publically called out Curt Schilling as a fraud during one of the biggest moments in Red Sox history?

Shenanigans. If he were such a Red Sox homer, he would never have shared that story about hearing the sock was fake.

I disagree. Thorn didn't share that story because he wanted to disparage the Red Sox. He told it to Buck Martinez on the air almost as if he was saying, "My nose is far up the Sox's behind let me share with you some insider info only true Red Sox homers know." Thorn just totally miscalculated the magnitude of this totally false information which he thought was fact. The incident exposed Thorn both as a Red Sox homer for being so chummy with the Sox as to get the info; and a buffoon for not knowing the Red Sox player who told him the info was kidding.

I disagree. Thorn didn't share that story because he wanted to disparage the Red Sox. He told it to Buck Martinez on the air almost as if he was saying, "My nose is far up the Sox's behind let me share with you some insider info only true Red Sox homers know." Thorn just totally miscalculated the magnitude of this totally false information which he thought was fact. The incident exposed Thorn both as a Red Sox homer for being so chummy with the Sox as to get the info; and a buffoon for not knowing the Red Sox player who told him the info was kidding.

Ahahah, that's flat out ridiculous. A Red Sox homer would never have openly suggested that the bloody sock was a fake. Period.

Plus, the man's name is Thorne. You want to rag on HIM for not getting something right, you might want to check your own facts.

Has anyone considered the fact that, outside of a select few announcers, the majority are at least mildly annoying and required to put forth some degree of artificial affection for the hometown team? That phony fandom is going to be exposed from time to time.

I'm pretty sure a "(INSERT NAME OF PLAY-BY-PLAY GUY HERE) is annoying!" thread might be going on at some message board for almost every other MLB team.

To be honest, I like Thorne's voice enough to give him a B+ as our play-by-play guy. I like him.

Has anyone considered the fact that, outside of a select few announcers, the majority are at least mildly annoying and required to put forth some degree of artificial affection for the hometown team? That phony fandom is going to be exposed from time to time.

I'm pretty sure a "(INSERT NAME OF PLAY-BY-PLAY GUY HERE) is annoying!" thread might be going on at some message board for almost every other MLB team.

To be honest, I like Thorne's voice enough to give him a B+ as our play-by-play guy. I like him.

I give Thorne about the same grade. He can be grating at times, but his voice always matches the level and drama of the game. He gets excited for an exciting play. He holds his own in the booth. As a bonus, he says some absolutely ridiculous things. And it's always entertaining to have a play-by-play guy that keeps you on your toes. He's rarely boring. He's not a blatant homer, either, which I appreciate.

He's the best one we've had in a long while.

I know I have. I've made reference that he's obviously a hired gun, but he's the best one we've had in recent years. But this "Red Sox homer" stuff is so blatantly ridiculous.

Ahahah, that's flat out ridiculous. A Red Sox homer would never have openly suggested that the bloody sock was a fake. Period.

Plus, the man's name is Thorne. You want to rag on HIM for not getting something right, you might want to check your own facts.

Okay. You think it's ridiculous. I do not. And yes, I spelled his name wrong. My bad. My observations of the man must be wrong because I do not know how to spell his name correctly.

Archived