Quiz: Name a current MLB GM or VP of Baseball OPs, or President........

wildcard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan is both good and not so good at times.

His work as VP of Ops has brought the O's 5 winning seasons which is very good.   His selection of Jimenez and Miley have not turned out well and it cost the team last year.  He was distracted by Toronto for one off season that cost the O's a playoff berth.  

All in all he has been good for the O's and I would be fine with him extending passed 2018.  But I don't know if that is what he wants, what Peter wants or what Buck wants.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Some other folks think Dan is better than we do. Read this. 

I don't think Dan is all that bad.  I think he gets a bit of a bad rap around here.

He's the best GM we've had since 2000, easily.  He's been able to work with a notoriously crappy owner.  His teams have gotten to the playoffs.  Granted, MacPhail's fingerprints were on those teams but he took it to the next level.

Sure, he's not perfect but he's made the best out of what he's had.  

1 hour ago, weams said:

Some other folks think Dan is better than we do. Read this. 

Very interesting.    It’s easy with 20/20 hindsight to say Dan inherited a good situation.    I don’t think a lot of people felt that way in November 2011.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with that, and it’s part of the reason I don’t like Dan running the club as a lame duck.    I would have either extended him or replaced him if I were the owner.   

The owner wants; to win now and that's in DD's best interests as well. I don't see the problem. If the owner wanted a rebuild that would be different.

7 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

The owner wants; to win now and that's in DD's best interests as well. I don't see the problem. If the owner wanted a rebuild that would be different.

What owner truly wants a rebuild, though? With the exception being the owners who took over the Astros in 2013, I doubt any owner wants to rebuild. 

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

What owner truly wants a rebuild, though? With the exception being the owners who took over the Astros in 2013, I doubt any owner wants to rebuild. 

The Cubs ownership approved a rebuild. The Yankees ownership have approved a retool.The point being why fire DD if you want to win now. 

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

The Cubs ownership approved a rebuild. The Yankees ownership have approved a retool.The point being why fire DD if you want to win now. 

Sometimes an owner needs to hear the truth from his GM, instead of what he wants to hear.   I’m not confident PA is getting that from DD.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sometimes an owner needs to hear the truth from his GM, instead of what he wants to hear.   I’m not confident PA is getting that from DD.

It’s also probably unlikely that a struggling O’s team would even deal impending free agent Manny Machado (barring an impossible-to-refuse offer) at the deadline due to Peter Angelos’ philosophy that “the season-ticket holders paid to see a certain team and weakening that promised product in-season is disingenuous.”

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

PA does not just listen to Dan.  He hears from Buck and Brady.   I don't know what insight you have about Dan and Peters discussions but this  sounds like a reach.

Dan has been an  effective baseball baseball executive working for Peter.  That is a rarity.    5 winning years show results.   What the dynamic between the two of them is right now  goes into the "I don't know" column for me.

50 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

88 year olds hear what they want, regardless of what you tell them.

I don’t find that to be true of my 89-year old father.    What’s true of PA, I don’t know.    But I don’t believe in age-based stereotypes.  

Archived