Believe?

twinedenter

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but they won't.

They will sell off some assets for pennies on the dollar at the deadline and collect a pick for Machado.

And someone will start a poll about how long it will be until the O's have another winning season.

I don’t disagree with you, just expressing my opinion that it’s misguided not to rebuild now if the team isn’t going after some bona fide, reliable starters.    

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree with you, just expressing my opinion that it’s misguided not to rebuild now if the team isn’t going after some bona fide, reliable starters.    

I know that was your intent.  I was just saying what I thought they would do instead of what you and I think they should do.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Could not agree more. I don't even think there are too many viable options either. Especially to be the 3. It has to be Cobb. If not Cobb, Chatwood and another starter with some upside left. I also would like to see a little out of the box thinking (I know I am asking for the moon", and sign Ross to a MiL deal if possible. His upside is #2 minimum and with a no cost risk, it could be huge. 

Duquette also said they MUST have a lefty to compete. I am not sure where he is getting that from, but whatev's.

1 hour ago, twinedenter said:

I know Duquette talks in riddles and code but on MLB, when asked directly by Smoltz about his rotation options, he said:

We will be looking for older veterans and bounce back candidates, as well as internal options to fill out the rotation.  Smoltz reminded him that the O's rotation was the WORST in baseball in 2017.

IF that's true, we would be heading for another last place finish.

Personally, I don't believe it, but his past certainly backs this type of "improvement".

I'm not surprised by the comments at all. I have zero faith in the FO to sign guys that would actually help or be an improvement to the rotation and even less faith that they would just go ahead and do a proper rebuild. 

38 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

Could not agree more. I don't even think there are too many viable options either. Especially to be the 3. It has to be Cobb. If not Cobb, Chatwood and another starter with some upside left. I also would like to see a little out of the box thinking (I know I am asking for the moon", and sign Ross to a MiL deal if possible. His upside is #2 minimum and with a no cost risk, it could be huge. 

Duquette also said they MUST have a lefty to compete. I am not sure where he is getting that from, but whatev's.

Not sure how a bad lefty is an improvement over a non-bad right handed pitcher.

If they're not trying to compete (which I think goes along with Duquette's answer), why keep Machado and Britton?  I think the answer is that they think us fans are stupid and would rather see another losing season with Machado than a team that's trying to develop for the future.  

The ship has already sailed about trading Manny ...that should have been last winter.  Now he might as well be kept.  Britton will be worth something to contemders at the deadline IF he is having a fabulous season.   But he will be a low sell if we trade him now due to health doubts out there.  

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If they're not trying to compete (which I think goes along with Duquette's answer), why keep Machado and Britton?  I think the answer is that they think us fans are stupid and would rather see another losing season with Machado than a team that's trying to develop for the future.  

I don’t think Angelos cares what the fans or anyone else thinks.

Here’s what you can and cannot do. Win or lose, that’s the way we do it.

Sign Jason Vargas and CC Sabathia to two year deals. 

Sign Brett Anderson, Clay Buckholz, and Francisco Liriano to minor league deals. Let them battle for the 5th spot

1) Bundy 

2) Gausmen 

3) Vargas 

4) Sabathia 

5) 5th starter

Hope for some miracle where Harvey, Akin, Hess or means can step in midseason. 

If there is any truth to be had in Duquette's answers,  we have to sell and sell hard right now. This FO frustrates the heck out of me. I just hope it is all a smoke screen, but I really think they are gonna throw a couple slugs against the wall for the rotation and sell the idea to this fan base that we are ready to compete. Sad.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is the video on Dan's interview.   He said veterans, not older veterans and he didn't say bounce back candidates.   Take a listen.

https://www.mlb.com/video/mlb-now-dan-duquette/c-1869309283?tid=7417714

Yeah He basically said a whole lot of nothing as usual. Basically that they are looking at all options. 

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is the video on Dan's interview.   He said veterans, not older veterans and he didn't say bounce back candidates.   Take a listen.

https://www.mlb.com/video/mlb-now-dan-duquette/c-1869309283?tid=7417714

Thanks for posting.    You certainly don’t get the impression that we’ll be in on the 2nd tier guys like Cobb, but we need to be.    “Resourceful” sounds like “lucky” to me, and I can’t say I like that.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to overreact to anything DD says.     However, if he’s been instructed to go cheap on the pitching, we may as well start the rebuild.

There is no Scherzer/Price out there. Otani has already passed on us. I highly, highly doubt we are in on Darvish. I think he has no choice but to go cheap.

Archived