Believe?

twinedenter

23 hours ago, twinedenter said:

I know Duquette talks in riddles and code but on MLB, when asked directly by Smoltz about his rotation options, he said:

We will be looking for older veterans and bounce back candidates, as well as internal options to fill out the rotation.  Smoltz reminded him that the O's rotation was the WORST in baseball in 2017.

IF that's true, we would be heading for another last place finish.

Personally, I don't believe it, but his past certainly backs this type of "improvement".

I don't trust DD getting the type rotation the team needs to be successful. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL at anyone thinking Angelos is going to all of the sudden change his tune on the "pitching" we are allowed to acquire. Remember, this is a BUSINESS first and foremost. Dollars and cents. Bottom lines. No risk. No long term commitment, try to ROLL THOSE DICE and get lucky. There isn't a single shred of evidence anything will be changing in that department now, or ever. Dan is just affirming that with every interview. 

1 hour ago, TradeAngelos said:

LOL at anyone thinking Angelos is going to all of the sudden change his tune on the "pitching" we are allowed to acquire. Remember, this is a BUSINESS first and foremost. Dollars and cents. Bottom lines. No risk. No long term commitment, try to ROLL THOSE DICE and get lucky. There isn't a single shred of evidence anything will be changing in that department now, or ever. Dan is just affirming that with every interview. 

Although I agree with some of your points, you can't argue the fact that the O's payroll is pretty high. 

Its how the money was spent that is the big part of this issue. Duquette signed Gallardo/Ubaldo and a bunch of retreads and they have ALL been bad. Ublado got 4/50.

Players available late in the off-season are there for a reason.

11 hours ago, twinedenter said:

Although I agree with some of your points, you can't argue the fact that the O's payroll is pretty high. 

Its how the money was spent that is the big part of this issue. Duquette signed Gallardo/Ubaldo and a bunch of retreads and they have ALL been bad. Ublado got 4/50.

Players available late in the off-season are there for a reason.

Like Nelson Cruz?

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Like Nelson Cruz?

While you have brought out a legit example, you have to admit no one wanted to touch Cruz. He was a very rare exception. 

I do not believe the O's got Ubaldo/Gallardo/Trumbo for less than would have, if they would have signed them earlier in the off-season. They got what they were gonna get.

If this is how things are gonna go, (basement bin hunting) you can be sure Buck and Manny are not coming back. Probably not Britton either, since he'd probably rather pitch on a contender, all things equal. Jones would possibly return if the team still has room for corner OF's, but they have so many in the minors right now. 

52 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

While you have brought out a legit example, you have to admit no one wanted to touch Cruz. He was a very rare exception. 

I do not believe the O's got Ubaldo/Gallardo/Trumbo for less than would have, if they would have signed them earlier in the off-season. They got what they were gonna get.

Trumbo was acquired early in the offseason for Steve Clevenger.  The Gallardo and Ubaldo arguments are apt, however. 

Without predicting any big additions, I can see this team being somewhat  competitive IF they get lucky and their bats actually show up next year. Big years from Manny, Schoop, Davis, Jones, Trumbo could carry us. Maybe some of the young guys take a leap forward. But based on what we've seen recently and the potential for injuries, it's hard to bet on it. There's been a lot of complaining about the front office and their questionable moves (when they actually make them), but we should all be used to it by now. Yeah, it's not ideal, but I don't see any reason to expect anything different. All I can really do is hope for a perfect storm with the guys we've got and believe we've got a chance to make some noise albeit a small one.  

afRJnc.jpg

Archived