Oh, What Could Have Been....

Hank Scorpio

While I agree that they should have considered trading Machado last season, they made the playoffs in 2016 and were a game and a half out of the Wild Card on August 30th. Blaming them for not anticipating a last place finish last offseason is a bit unfair. They were 7 games up on Toronto on August 30th, so even anticipating a last place finish five-sixths of the way through the season would have been unfair.

If this is true. Could make the winter meetings very interesting. The Cardinals and the Indians make the most sense to me. 

Cardinals: 

3B Manny Machado for RHP Jack Flaherty (#3 prospect) , and LHP Austin Gomber(#15 prospect).  Two mlb ready starters. Flaherty is the number 47 prospect in baseball and has TOR upside.  Gomber is more of a #3 starter.  

Jedd Gyorko was rumored to be on the block if the Cardinals make changes to their infield, so if the Orioles want an immediate Machado replacement they could consider asking for him. 

Indians:

3B Manny Machado for SP Triston Mackenzie, OF Greg Allen, and SP Julian Merryweather.  This trade is really all about getting Mackenzie who is the 20 prospect in baseball and has TOR talent. Only in A+ this past year. Allen is a guy who's floor is a 4th outfielder but he has the potential to be a really good lead off hitter. Great defensively. Merryweather is about MLB ready and projects as a back end starter or reliever. 

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

If this is true. Could make the winter meetings very interesting. The Cardinals and the Indians make the most sense to me. 

Cardinals: 

3B Manny Machado for RHP Jack Flaherty (#3 prospect) , and LHP Austin Gomber(#15 prospect).  Two mlb ready starters. Flaherty is the number 47 prospect in baseball and has TOR upside.  Gomber is more of a #3 starter.  

Jedd Gyorko was rumored to be on the block if the Cardinals make changes to their infield, so if the Orioles want an immediate Machado replacement they could consider asking for him. 

Indians:

3B Manny Machado for SP Triston Mackenzie, OF Greg Allen, and SP Julian Merryweather.  This trade is really all about getting Mackenzie who is the 20 prospect in baseball and has TOR talent. Only in A+ this past year. Allen is a guy who's floor is a 4th outfielder but he has the potential to be a really good lead off hitter. Great defensively. Merryweather is about MLB ready and projects as a back end starter or reliever. 

If we saw the Cardinals pitchers you mentioned I would be totally cool with that and feel less negative about 2019 and beyond. It seems like a lot to ask for just one year of Machado though.

Not going to say from where but I did hear something about Manny awhile ago. At the end of the year he packed his locker up prior to the teams last road trip. He also stopped taking infield as well for like 5 straight days. 

The fact that this team went through the motions at the end seems to have some merit. 

13 minutes ago, oriole said:

If we saw the Cardinals pitchers you mentioned I would be totally cool with that and feel less negative about 2019 and beyond. It seems like a lot to ask for just one year of Machado though.

It's also the exclusive negotiating rights with Manny for a year. I'm not sure how much value you can put on that, but I think it would be significant for any team with deep pockets that is serious about signing him long term.

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

While I agree that they should have considered trading Machado last season, they made the playoffs in 2016 and were a game and a half out of the Wild Card on August 30th. Blaming them for not anticipating a last place finish last offseason is a bit unfair. They were 7 games up on Toronto on August 30th, so even anticipating a last place finish five-sixths of the way through the season would have been unfair.

Not trying to pull a Sportsguy or anything but I can say (for me, anyways) this is not revisionist history. I asked the question of a lot of people "Are they the 2nd best team in the division? Maybe even the 3rd or 4th, realistically."

It's obvious this offseason that this team is in need of a rebuild. It wasn't QUITE as obvious last year, but closers coming off of all time best seasons are prime candidates for trade. EASILY could have rebuilt the organization by trading Britton & Machado last year.

They'll still get a return for them... but I have to think significantly less of one.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Not going to say from where but I did hear something about Manny awhile ago. At the end of the year he packed his locker up prior to the teams last road trip. He also stopped taking infield as well for like 5 straight days. 

The fact that this team went through the motions at the end seems to have some merit. 

So did Manny mail it in a little over the last week of a 162 game season?  Ok I could live with that. 

Imagine how frustrating it was for the players to have to go out there when the organization mailed it in by running Ubaldo out there the last 4 years?  

We can listen to offers but I think with everyone on one year deals we have to go for it. That’s pretty unrealistic, but we have to try. 

4 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a trade this offseason if the price is right. To me, of the listed teams, the best fit would be the Cardinals who would have to give up a couple great young arms in any deal.

Maybe Flaherty, Bader , Hudson , and Gomber ?

Flaherty would be ready for the rotation...very good full season in the PCL

Hudson good season between AA and AAA. May need a half season at AAA

Gomber LH very good season at AA and may need a season at AAA but could ge ready.

Bader ...yes an OF but the Cards are top heavy in OF prospects. He's ready and could ge dealt for another piece or allow us to deal and OF or give Hayes a year at AAA.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So did Manny mail it in a little over the last week of a 162 game season?  Ok I could live with that. 

Imagine how frustrating it was for the players to have to go out there when the organization mailed it in by running Ubaldo out there the last 4 years?  

We can listen to offers but I think with everyone on one year deals we have to go for it. That’s pretty unrealistic, but we have to try. 

I think they can trade Manny and Britton this offseason and still try to compete this season while also giving themselves a better future in 2019 and beyond. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I just thought I would mention it. That last month things were ugly. 

44 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not trying to pull a Sportsguy or anything but I can say (for me, anyways) this is not revisionist history. I asked the question of a lot of people "Are they the 2nd best team in the division? Maybe even the 3rd or 4th, realistically."

It's obvious this offseason that this team is in need of a rebuild. It wasn't QUITE as obvious last year, but closers coming off of all time best seasons are prime candidates for trade. EASILY could have rebuilt the organization by trading Britton & Machado last year.

They'll still get a return for them... but I have to think significantly less of one.

I agree with you. Although I think the value of watching a future Hall of Famer like Machado for a year has value as a fan, even if a title is extremely unlikely.

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I won’t blame the O’s for not trading Machado last winter.   How often does a team that made the playoffs start trading its best players?    Basically, never.    And I don’t think it was obvious at all that (1) the Yankees would inprove so much, or (2) our pitching would be so terrible.    In fact, I could argue (before the season was played) that 2017 was a time to go for it because the Yankees had a huge wave of talent coming over the next 2-3 years but wouldn’t quite be ready in 2017.     If you had Judge pegged for 52 homers and a 1.042 OPS, let me know.   

Archived