Should the Orioles sign Lance Lynn?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The chances of Alex Cobb signing with the Cubs appears to be very high. According to mlbtraderumors.com, he could sign with the Cubs by Monday. Should the Orioles focus their attention on Lance Lynn? Would he be a good signing for the Orioles?

I don't like Lynn nearly as much as Cobb

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't like Lynn nearly as much as Cobb

But Cobb seems to be out of the picture here.

If the Orioles are fooling themselves into thinking that they can contend this year, sure sign Lance Lynn.  His FIP is a bit high, so is the WHIP but he looks to be effective.  Not sure how he'd translate to the AL but he's certainly gotta be better than what we've had. 

After the events of the last week or so, namely seeing that the available free agent pitching is going to be outrageously overpriced and that the Yankees are going to be stacked and that the Red Sox are likely to strike hard too,  I just cannot get enthused any longer about the "going for it."   They can sign a tremendously overpriced Lance Lynn and finish fourth rather than fifth and get to .500 rather than 10 games under.   But, really, who cares?    This team needed to sell last winter and needs even more desperately to sell this winter,  take its lumps in 2018 and try to move forward.  Otherwise we are looking at being in the hole for another decade.    Pox on any of the available free agent pitchers.  

3 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Worse than selling, but not worse than doing nothing IMO.  Nothing is the worst thing they can do.  But they should start rebuilding obviously.

Miggy and Cashner require committing money over probably multiple years but aren't enough to come close to competing.  At least doing nothing will give the new manager and GM in 2019 more room to work financially. 

I’d prefer Cobb, but I’d be happy if we got Lynn so long as we picked up someone solid for the no. 4 spot.    I think people are far too pessimistic about how we’d do if our last three rotation spots averaged out to a 4.75 ERA instead  of last yeat’s 6.59.

10 hours ago, tntoriole said:

After the events of the last week or so, namely seeing that the available free agent pitching is going to be outrageously overpriced and that the Yankees are going to be stacked and that the Red Sox are likely to strike hard too,  I just cannot get enthused any longer about the "going for it."   They can sign a tremendously overpriced Lance Lynn and finish fourth rather than fifth and get to .500 rather than 10 games under.   But, really, who cares?    This team needed to sell last winter and needs even more desperately to sell this winter,  take its lumps in 2018 and try to move forward.  Otherwise we are looking at being in the hole for another decade.    Pox on any of the available free agent pitchers.  

This.  I'd move Machado, Britton, and Jones for the best prospects I could get.  Of course at least 3 of them would need to be SPs who could fight for rotation spots.

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

After the events of the last week or so, namely seeing that the available free agent pitching is going to be outrageously overpriced...

Does the price of the pitching really surprise you?    Chatwood was on the high side, but not crazy.    I always expect pitching prices to be high.  Some of the earlier estimates I saw were ridiculously low.

Archived