Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Tampa ends up taking on more money in that situation.  I don't see them doing that, unless we kick in a really good prospect.  At that point, I'd rather keep Trumbo.

PTBNL. Trade them Santander after he fulfills his 45ish days he has to be on the roster. I don’t know how much we’d have to give up but Trumbo for Span and Dickerson kills like 3-4 birds with 1 stone. We’ve made deals with TB the last two trade deadlines. Pearce in 16. Beckham in 17. 

6 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Arrietta looks like he is headed to the Phillies from multiple reports. It could get announced in next 24 hours.

I think Arrieta could go to the Phillies but not in the next 24 hours.  MacPhail is methodical.  Put him together with Boras and that could take while to work out.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So why did the Rays DFA Dickerson now that they traded Souza?  From what I understand the Rays can't just simply pull back the DFA, and some team will claim Dickerson.  

An attempt to speed up trade talks.

Or, they couldn't find a taker and are just going to pay him a fraction of his contract.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

An attempt to speed up trade talks.

Or, they couldn't find a taker and are just going to pay him a fraction of his contract.

The Rays must be bleeding money, they are getting rid of every valuable asset.  Or they decided to blow it up and do a full rebuild, since the Red Sox and Yankees look untouchable for the next several years.  

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Rays must be bleeding money, they are getting rid of every valuable asset.  Or they decided to blow it up and do a full rebuild, since the Red Sox and Yankees look untouchable for the next several years.  

Change bleeding money to not making as much as they want and I'll agree with you.

I don't think they are going into full rebuild mode, I don't think they have weakened themselves that much.

I feel like the Rays are using the Marlins for political cover.  Odorizzi wasn't much of a surprise because they have ready replacements who are just as good.  I don't think Dickerson or Souza are intrinsically much better, but Span and Mallex Smith are no Honeywells.  Kiermaier was already quoted "very upset" after the first two moves - this can't help.

Archived