Can someone tell me exactly who the Orioles are going to be paying after this season?

TradeAngelos

Chris Davis. Who else?

Trumbo will be on a 1 yr deal if he is still here.

Everyone else is a FA who obviously won't be signed, because Orioles don't pay FA prices except for damaged goods they can get at a "discount"

We clearly aren't adding any 20+m pitchers to the team.....ever. (I mean if there ever was a time to do so, it would be when you have 2 fairly reliable starters making peanuts the next 3 years, but we know the Peter Principles prevent that)

Manny? See ya later that ship has sailed. 

Schoop? Just riding out the arb train, destination unknown. He gone too, again we just aren't going to outbid the FA market, or even come remotely close. 

There is literally no one left except the FA class of this year/next. Oh that's right again we don't really tend to make splashes in free agency, so.....if we are very lucky and have been good boys and girls for Peter, will probably be a couple 10-12m pitchers and another minor piece, so nothing really there either. 

So just who the heck is going to be added in between now and then? Right now we have an estimated 74m payroll. I mean one would think since we spent "165m" (wink wink) it should be 175m for 2018, and let's just say the same going forward. Because Pete definitely isn't cheap, everyone here tells me that. So please enlighten me as to how we are going to get remotely close to what our payroll is even now after this season. I'm all ears. Heck it would be a miracle if you could finagle something to even get to 140m much less 175m. I mean we will surely pile up a few small salary, low low risk players to make it "look good" on paper for the fans. But nothing to move the needle. Just more wasted money that could have gone to actual good young players. 

Hope you enjoyed it while it lasts. At least you can keep adding 10m to the payroll for the deferments to make yourselves feel better because Davis, O'Day and Trumbo will still be here for some clever accounting. 

It was nice when you just "happened" to have about 10 players all in late arb years that forced the payroll up...for a few years. You see they spend money! But all that talent will be gone by this time next year. Every single bit of it. 

Maybe Mancini will be Mike Trout. 

And we won't pay him either. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

O'Day's contract runs through 2019.

You really want to include a player making 8m? Well go ahead and include him. That is literally nothing in today's MLB. I am talking about significant contracts that actually matter. 

4 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

You really want to include a player making 8m? Well go ahead and include him. That is literally nothing in today's MLB. I am talking about significant contracts that actually matter. 

8 X 25 = 200.

So a team full of guys making "literally nothing" leads to a payroll of 200 million.

What smart way do you have to spend the Orioles money?  You know, a reasonable scenario that will lead to winning baseball.  Go ahead and bump payroll up to 185 if you want.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

8 X 25 = 200.

So a team full of guys making "literally nothing" leads to a payroll of 200 million.

What smart way do you have to spend the Orioles money?  You know, a reasonable scenario that will lead to winning baseball.  Go ahead and bump payroll up to 185 if you want.

Yeah because there are going to be 25 players ALL making 8m LOL. Right. Great job pointing that out. That is definitely how the salary structure of most MLB teams breaks down. 

I would start by paying Manny 30m a year.

And still wouldn't even come close to 185m, nor would I need to. 

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

Yeah because there are going to be 25 players ALL making 8m LOL. Right. Great job pointing that out. That is definitely how the salary structure of most MLB teams breaks down. 

I would start by paying Manny 30m a year.

And still wouldn't even come close to 185m, nor would I need to. 

You said "literally nothing".  Obviously that was an untrue statement.  While 8 milliion by itself isn't significant to teams a collection of mid-level poor contracts are.

So you think Manny will sign on to be part of a last place team for 30M?  You don't think anyone other team could give him a more attractive offer?

How does having Manny at 30M a year make this a playoff team?

I want to see your starting rotation.

14 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

What is the point you’re trying to make, exactly?    In 2019 I guess we’ll have:

Davis $23 mm

Schoop $13 mm

Gausman $10 mm

O’Day $8 mm

Beckham $6 mm

Bundy $4 mm

Givens $2 mm

Joseph $2 mm

So, $68 mm for those 8 players.   Nobody else on the current roster should be making more than $600k - $1 mm, but obviously there will be other players not accounted  for here.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You said "literally nothing".  Obviously that was an untrue statement.  While 8 milliion by itself isn't significant to teams a collection of mid-level poor contracts are.

So you think Manny will sign on to be part of a last place team for 30M?  You don't think anyone other team could give him a more attractive offer?

How does having Manny at 30M a year make this a playoff team?

I want to see your starting rotation.

So I assume since you can't answer any of my questions, you accept that the payroll is going back down to about 100m and some change. Great, I agree.

There are plenty of options out there to keep a competitive team fielded, pitching included. My point, obviously, is that NONE of those options will happen. We have already basically written 2 of them off. 

Forget the money what is the core of this team going forward? It should be Manny and Schoop, your two young superstars. Instead it will be Chris Davis and Trey Mancini. And a bunch of trash pitching. 

If you actually had Schoop and Manny locked up, added 2 good pitchers.....then add the rest to the mix we would again be competitive for the next 5 years. And STILL wouldn't be near 185m, especially after Trumbo and O'Day come off books within a year or two. Hope Harvey and another pitcher drafted this year can come in and replace Bundy and Gausman when they leave, while we still have the core locked up.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What is the point you’re trying to make, exactly?    In 2019 I guess we’ll have:

Davis $23 mm

Schoop $13 mm

Gausman $10 mm

O’Day $8 mm

Beckham $6 mm

Bundy $4 mm

Givens $2 mm

Joseph $2 mm

So, $68 mm for those 8 players.   Nobody else on the current roster should be making more than $600k - $1 mm, but obviously there will be other players not accounted  for here.

Any chance Mancini is a super 2?

I also think you are low on Givens.  Joseph is a wild card but I think he will be over 2M.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Davis $23 mm

Schoop $13 mm

Gausman $10 mm

O’Day $8 mm

Beckham $6 mm

Bundy $4 mm

Givens $2 mm

Joseph $2 mm

You clearly missed the point. 

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

So I assume since you can't answer any of my questions, you accept that the payroll is going back down to about 100m and some change. Great, I agree.

There are plenty of options out there to keep a competitive team fielded, pitching included. My point, obviously, is that NONE of those options will happen. We have already basically written 2 of them off. 

Forget the money what is the core of this team going forward? It should be Manny and Schoop, your two young superstars. Instead it will be Chris Davis and Trey Mancini. And a bunch of trash pitching. 

If you actually had Schoop and Manny locked up, added 2 good pitchers.....then add the rest to the mix we would again be competitive for the next 5 years. And STILL wouldn't be near 185m, especially after Trumbo and O'Day come off books within a year or two. Hope Harvey and another pitcher drafted this year can come in and replace Bundy and Gausman when they leave, while we still have the core locked up.

Where do you get the two good pitchers?

Why would a quality free agent pitcher pick the Orioles?

Who is going to trade them a quality pitcher?  You willing to trade off the farm?

Archived