Are There Three Internal SP Candidates

Eddie_Ripken

It's a tall order to fill three rotation spots with our internal candidates, for sure. I think when you look at our internal options, you really have to take a look at the number of innings these guy have been able to do. It's always nerve wracking to know that essentially, even if they had early success, the gas tank could be running on empty pretty early in the year. Consequently, we would still need a fair amount of spot starts and this is all assuming success, if they get rocked constantly we are in a deeper hole because I do believe we are going to see another dip in bullpen reliability. 

I was definitely interested in seeing Castro potentially stretched out, but that was also when I was under the impression we had Britton from the start. Now, I am afraid to give up that flexibility in the bullpen and even then, 66.1 IP last season and he definitely wasn't the same during that last month of the season so, how much fuel in the tank? Realistically, I think we all keep running into the same wall - the "we are in a really difficult position" wall. I am not sure we can even get to the finish line on internal options so, we are going to have to probably bring in two outside options (Tillman included in that 'outside') and then maybe gamble or patchwork the 5th spot. I'd love for us to bring in a proven commodity, elite style pitcher who has the knowledge and the stuff to mitigate the hitter friendly Camden Yards, but realistically I don't expect us to bring in that type of guy. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Eddie_Ripken said:

Does anyone think Dan doesn't sign ANY starting pitcher free agents? I actually am starting to think that may be possible. Not just due to how slow the off season has been, but the Roch report about the medicals of the guys available and the early on statement from Dan about "internal candidates".

So who would the internal candidates be?

Castro

Cortes

Ynoa

Yacabonis

There are plenty of internal options, none are the type you’d want to pencil into a rotation of a team trying to be competitive, even the most intriguing ones have question marks. 

So here goes...(just ones you started with some frequency last season)

Ynoa

Cortes

Wright

Long 

Mesa Jr

Hess

Means

Asher

At this point I think we may see Tillman back and fill the other holes internally.

If the reports about the front office not liking medicals on guys is true, we all know how that will work out. Honestly I'd rather see Castro and other guys get a chance before we waste money on Cashner, Miley etc, might as well let the young guys try and prove themselves.

If you ranked them based off of MLB/AAA success they’d be,

Asher

Wright

Ynoa

Castro

Cortes

i could see Castro legitimately winning a SP spot out of ST. Not just having him handed one because of no competition. Now that he has an option though, I could see him as an up/down guy if he starts to fade. 

Wright at 28 could finally put it together enough. Early on with a fresh arm, he could dazzle. 

Asher is what he is. A guy that has suspect stuff that is a 4-5 inning SP at best. 

Ynoa looks good, but what the heck happened in AAA?  Was he working on things?  Bad IF defense?  He was the Tillman of Norfolk for a while. 

12 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'll be surprised if Tillman is on a major league roster after spring training. I think he's done.

Have you seen him pitch this winter?    If not, then what’s the basis for your conclusion?    I certainly agree that he showed nothing last year, so unless he’s made some major strides over the winter he won’t be back in the majors this year.  

I think Ynoa could be a MLB #4-5 starter. The Mets scouts seemed to think so back in the day. He’s looked strong at times, just seems inconsistent.

I think he’ll get a few starts for the Os before the All Star break.

I could see shelling out the money for Cobb (I know this isn’t going to happen), and then just filling the other two spots internally.  Unlikely to be a playoff team, but I think it’d be an interesting team to watch.

Archived