Let's Help Dan

Bahama O's Fan

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would assume, maybe wrongly, that we could take on payroll. I think we are about 30-40 million less than last season right now. Which reliever would you take? How much is Straily making? What would you give up?

Tazawa and Ziegler are both in the last year of their contracts.  Tazawa makes $7M, Ziegler $9M.  Don't care.  I'd release either one.  Just paying for the rights to control Straily for three years.  Straily is set to make between $3.37M and $3.55M in 2018 and then continue the process through 2020.

Prado is owed $28.5M over the next two years.  I'd keep him and play him in LF and/or 3B.

The return would be based on the amount of contract we are taking on.  I wouldn't imagine that it would cost anybody in the top 15-20.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Part of why I am not enamored of trading for Straily. Not sure he is even a #3. Don't think Cashner is a #3 either. Need stronger starters, sure. And I have no problem with trading Brach and Givens, because I think they are replaceable.

Though they could trade Manny or Schoop, I think that means they are not chasing the WS. If that's the case, they should keep the prospects and plug in whatever pitchers they have to see if one will stick for 2019.

It's WC not WS.

I know anything can happen in a short series and all that jazz but yeah, this team isn't winning multiple playoff series.

15 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Tazawa and Ziegler are both in the last year of their contracts.  Tazawa makes $7M, Ziegler $9M.  Don't care.  I'd release either one.  Just paying for the rights to control Straily for three years.  Straily is set to make between $3.37M and $3.55M in 2018 and then continue the process through 2020.

Prado is owed $28.5M over the next two years.  I'd keep him and play him in LF and/or 3B.

The return would be based on the amount of contract we are taking on.  I wouldn't imagine that it would cost anybody in the top 15-20.

Best idea so far. I don't know if I would just outright release the reliever. You're paying their salary anyway. Give them a chance in spring training to make the club. Buck and Dan know how to juggle the roster. Give them another arm in the pen.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's WC not WS.

I know anything can happen in a short series and all that jazz but yeah, this team isn't winning multiple playoff series.

I wouldn't bet on that either.

But the premise of the OP was how to get pitching for this season. That, to me, equates to the Orioles going for it in 2018.

Hit the gas: trade the prospects. Or, hit the brakes: trade Manny, Brach and others. I hope the team is committed to one of these two philosophies, at least to begin the season. They can change when/if they see fit.

21 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Part of why I am not enamored of trading for Straily. Not sure he is even a #3. Don't think Cashner is a #3 either. Need stronger starters, sure. And I have no problem with trading Brach and Givens, because I think they are replaceable.

Though they could trade Manny or Schoop, I think that means they are not chasing the WS. If that's the case, they should keep the prospects and plug in whatever pitchers they have to see if one will stick for 2019.

The reason I like trading for Straily is that, theoretically, you are giving up way less in prospects by taking on unwanted Miami contracts.  Then you basically have two team options at relatively low prices for 2019 and 2020.

As far as being a number 3, his ERA+ has been 113 and 95 the past two seasons which is solidly in the #3 range.  Now if he reverts to his pre-2016 self, you simply don't tender a contract in 2019.  Some money lost, but no big prospects gone.

Just now, backwardsk said:

The reason I like trading for Straily is that, theoretically, you are giving up way less in prospects by taking on unwanted Miami contracts.  Then you basically have two team options at relatively low prices for 2019 and 2020.

As far as being a number 3, his ERA+ has been 113 and 95 the past two seasons which is solidly in the #3 range.  Now if he reverts to his pre-2016 self, you simply don't tender a contract in 2019.  Some money lost, but no big prospects gone.

Consecutive seasons of Straily allowing 31 home runs diminishes my interest.

I'd sign Trevor Cahill for $1MM with a little bit of incentives and see if he can return to the rotation. No prospects lost of any size. No money lost either, really. Neither pitcher moves the needle individually, imo. Should they acquire both?

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Consecutive seasons of Straily allowing 31 home runs diminishes my interest.

I'd sign Trevor Cahill for $1MM with a little bit of incentives and see if he can return to the rotation. No prospects lost of any size. No money lost either, really. Neither pitcher moves the needle individually, imo. Should they acquire both?

I like Cahill.  I wanted him last season.  I don't think he really moves the needle, but he doesn't hurt you.

if they got Cahill or someone like him, I'd be more open to trading Brach.

If I'm Duquette and I know I can't sign anyone over three years and trading Machado likely isn't going to happen the first thing I'd do is look at teams who have some pitching depth. 

I'd see what it would take to get Jake Odorizzi even if it meant taking on Denard Span's salary. 

See if Charlie Morton is available now that the Astros have 7 starters. Maybe build a package around Brach to bolster their pen. 

Other names are guys like Ivan Nova (if the Pirates are still shedding salary), Mike Montgomery of the Cubs or other team's swingmen. 

Then I sign John Lackey and Jake Peavy to 1 year deals and hope they have something left in the tank. 

Any pitcher that will take a Milb deal in March gets one if I'm DD. 

7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

If I'm Duquette and I know I can't sign anyone over three years and trading Machado likely isn't going to happen the first thing I'd do is look at teams who have some pitching depth. 

I'd see what it would take to get Jake Odorizzi even if it meant taking on Denard Span's salary. 

See if Charlie Morton is available now that the Astros have 7 starters. Maybe build a package around Brach to bolster their pen. 

Other names are guys like Ivan Nova (if the Pirates are still shedding salary), Mike Montgomery of the Cubs or other team's swingmen. 

Then I sign John Lackey and Jake Peavy to 1 year deals and hope they have something left in the tank. 

Any pitcher that will take a Milb deal in March gets one if I'm DD. 

Peavy?   Is he still in baseball?

If we're trading with Miami then it'd better be for Realmuto. Something like Sisco, Beckham, and Scott for Realmuto and Prado. That still is probably not enough but he is a good catcher and Sisco is not and probably won't be, even if he can hit.

Of course that does nothing for SP.  The key is obviously finding undervalued pitchers or pitchers that are solidly blocked on other clubs. I'd still love to see Montgomery from the Cubs but even he would cost at least one decent prospect. You could also go for veterans on rebuilding clubs who you could basically get for free if you pay the salary. Shields and Hammel come to mind. Not exciting but there'd be no loss from a prospect standpoint. 

7 minutes ago, oriole said:

If we're trading with Miami then it'd better be for Realmuto. Something like Sisco, Beckham, and Scott for Realmuto and Prado. That still is probably not enough but he is a good catcher and Sisco is not and probably won't be, even if he can hit.

Of course that does nothing for SP.  The key is obviously finding undervalued pitchers or pitchers that are solidly blocked on other clubs. I'd still love to see Montgomery from the Cubs but even he would cost at least one decent prospect. You could also go for veterans on rebuilding clubs who you could basically get for free if you pay the salary. Shields and Hammel come to mind. Not exciting but there'd be no loss from a prospect standpoint. 

Miami is asking for Robles+ from Washington.

The Dodgers want to move Kemp badly so they can open up some cap space. Orioles send Trumbo(26/2) for Kemp(2/43) and Ryu(1/7).  Dodgers save 24M, Baltimore gets a significant upgrade at DH in Kemp and they get to roll the dice on Ryu who was at very least a very good #3 if not more when his arm was healthy.

Jon Lackey on a 1/10 deal up to 1/12. The rotation needs an innings eater and if Lackey can do one thing very well it's that. 

Archived